Top Shelf Aquatics

Tailspot Blenny laying on the floor and now missing?

Dgameman1

Hello! I've had a tailspot blenny for about a month now.

She was doing fabulous eating and swimming around like a solid hour ago.

I took a nap and then went to see my fish tank afterwards, and the tailspot blenny was just laying on the floor.

I freaked out and thought she was dead, I took a net and went for her and she swam super fast away.

I felt relief and noticed that maybe her right fin isn't doing super hot? Couldn't really tell to be honest.

She's also had a few small white dots on her and it may have been ick/ich?

But now as I'm typing this, I look back at the tank and she's literally just gone.

Like I don't see her anywhere at all in any of her usual hiding holes or anything??

I'm pretty bummed cause this was my first fish and she's awesome.

Anyway, I took a picture of her while she was on the floor if you guys could tell me if you see if there's ick/ich or if you see anything else weird?

Thanks so so so much!!

All the parameters are healthy

Nuvo 10 Gallon Tank

A few corals

I have/had a Tailspot Blenny

2 Super Small Oscellaris Clownfish

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Big Nassarius Snail

4 Small Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

1 Dwarf Cerith Snail

IMG_20180630_221924.jpg

Snow_Phoenix
6 minutes ago, Dgameman1 said:

Hello! I've had a tailspot blenny for about a month now.

She was doing fabulous eating and swimming around like a solid hour ago.

I took a nap and then went to see my fish tank afterwards, and the tailspot blenny was just laying on the floor.

I freaked out and thought she was dead, I took a net and went for her and she swam super fast away.

I felt relief and noticed that maybe her right fin isn't doing super hot? Couldn't really tell to be honest.

She's also had a few small white dots on her and it may have been ick/ich?

But now as I'm typing this, I look back at the tank and she's literally just gone.

Like I don't see her anywhere at all in any of her usual hiding holes or anything??

I'm pretty bummed cause this was my first fish and she's awesome.

Anyway, I took a picture of her while she was on the floor if you guys could tell me if you see if there's ick/ich or if you see anything else weird?

Thanks so so so much!!

All the parameters are healthy

Nuvo 10 Gallon Tank

A few corals

I have/had a Tailspot Blenny

2 Super Small Oscellaris Clownfish

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Big Nassarius Snail

4 Small Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

1 Dwarf Cerith Snail

IMG_20180630_221924.jpg

I call that 'camo-mode'. Fish sometimes change color to *blend in better with their surroundings while they're resting/asleep. I think yours was just resting, and you probably spooked her away. The white spots you've mentioned - are they tine and fine, like grains of salt on her fins and body? If yes, then it is most probably Ich. In which case, you will have to remove all fish from the display, set up a QT tank and treat the affected fish with copper sulfate, and let the display go fallow for at least 8 weeks to ensure the parasite is killed off. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I call that 'camo-mode'. Fish sometimes change color to *blend in better with their surroundings while they're resting/asleep. I think yours was just resting, and you probably spooked her away. The white spots you've mentioned - are they tine and fine, like grains of salt on her fins and body? If yes, then it is most probably Ich. In which case, you will have to remove all fish from the display, set up a QT tank and treat the affected fish with copper sulfate, and let the display go fallow for at least 8 weeks to ensure the parasite is killed off. 

Yeah she was a different color at the LFS so it makes sense that they change color.

Honestly, I'm not too sure about what the white spots kinda look like, I have to get a better look at it to be honest. But looking at the picture, what does it look like?

Snow_Phoenix
12 minutes ago, Dgameman1 said:

Yeah she was a different color at the LFS so it makes sense that they change color.

Honestly, I'm not too sure about what the white spots kinda look like, I have to get a better look at it to be honest. But looking at the picture, what does it look like?

Ich.

• Wow 1

Hmmm, did you bathe your fish before putting in tank? Any fish new—how new? 

I always bathe my fish in methylene blue drops till dark blue and temp matched FW for 5 - 15 min—not fool proof but never had an incident, very cheap, extremely safe for fish, and readily available like on amazon. It’s hard to tell...could just be sand, detritus from a rock, ich, or just the coloration.

Mine DOES get white markings when resting but it doesn’t change texture. It does even appear on his head.  Moreover if he rests anywhere it’s always on rockwork and he’s very on alert to move quickly. He only rests in his rock hole.  

These are tough little guys, if it were me. Ensure tank params are perfect, observe closely if the spots are actually brushed off or ever start multiplying especially if your clowns get them. It is highly debated, that ich is often in many tanks but are naturally kept at bay with the healthy fish’s slime coat until something triggers them or a large populace is introduced via a new addition.

Here’s mine right now, in his rock hole resting.

88EED8CE-6543-4F38-93A1-2C6BD131243E.jpeg.f967fcdb0af961fa58cdbe809156ace5.jpeg

Well, if he’s laying on the floor you might’ve accidentally stepped on him. Have you checked the undersides of your house slippers?

• Haha 1
Just now, 1891Bro said:

Well, if he’s laying on the floor you might’ve accidentally stepped on him. Have you checked the undersides of your house slippers?

You’re so funny, I literally spat my drink out when I read that LOL

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

You’re so funny, I literally spat my drink out when I read that LOL

I’m glad you appreciate that. Do not listen to @Snow_Phoenix it is not ich. 

Edit: and now I realize you’re not the op.  I don’t even know if you’re down with opp.  Yeah you know me. Anyway it’s still not ich. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Ich.

Well that's upsetting.

Is the only way to genuinely cure Ich to quarantine?

I mean worse case scenario she dies? Does it then spread to all my other fish?

Or can I just keep all the fish super well fed and hope for the best?

36 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

Hmmm, did you bathe your fish before putting in tank? Any fish new—how new? 

I always bathe my fish in methylene blue drops till dark blue and temp matched FW for 5 - 15 min—not fool proof but never had an incident, very cheap, extremely safe for fish, and readily available like on amazon. It’s hard to tell...could just be sand, detritus from a rock, ich, or just the coloration.

Mine DOES get white markings when resting but it doesn’t change texture. It does even appear on his head.  Moreover if he rests anywhere it’s always on rockwork and he’s very on alert to move quickly. He only rests in his rock hole.  

These are tough little guys, if it were me. Ensure tank params are perfect, observe closely if the spots are actually brushed off or ever start multiplying especially if your clowns get them. It is highly debated, that ich is often in many tanks but are naturally kept at bay with the healthy fish’s slime coat until something triggers them or a large populace is introduced via a new addition.

Here’s mine right now, in his rock hole resting.

I really appreciate it!

I never bathed them in anything? Didn't really see anything about dipping fish before putting them in the DT, only dipping corals?

1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

Oo. Why do you say that? Just doesn't really look like it to you?

Thanks again everyone!

The few tiny spots I see could be grain of sand or detritus. It could also be ich.

Google marine ich, theres ton's of pics of it.

The only 100% way to get rid of ich is by removing all fish and treating them all. 

The display tank must go fishless for 8 weeks.

There is also great debate on treating ich as it can appear during times of stress, over crowding, poor water quality. Some fish can fight it naturally and others seem to not make it with or without treatment.

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

Sorry - I thought the OP was referring to the white spots on the fish, not the white blotches. White blotches is the blenny going into camo-mode, the white spots *might be ich. Anyhow, the more advanced peeps of the forum have answered, so you'll get better responses now. 

• Like 1

Yes you can bathe fish, meaning they stay in the solution for like 5 - 15 minutes.  

Methylene blue is the safest fish dip I have used. I just add a few drops to temp-matched, half-gallon of distilled water until dark blue, and constantly provide water movement or agitate surface of water with baster for O2.  You should watch them the whole time anyway. Because of salinity drop, the fish can sometimes just lay there so don’t be startled BUT typically they are surprisingly calm...my clownfish even seemed to enjoy it.  I have personally seen critters crawl out of their bodies and squirm away, listless in moments. Just watch gills for any distress or if they were calm and start wanting to carpet surf, bath is done. Net, rinse in another container with display water, and plop in display without xfer of any water.

Again, quarantine is the best protection, but for those of us without one, bathing is better than just direct transfer.  

49 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Edit: and now I realize you’re not the op.  I don’t even know if you’re down with opp.  Yeah you know me. Anyway it’s still not ich. 

Always appreciate humor!  Ah, sorry, yeah I posted my blenny to compare resting spots, sorry about any confusion, my tailspot is sound asleep and well.

Lots of information and I appreciate you all for it!

1 minute ago, Aurortpa said:

Always appreciate humor!  Ah, sorry, yeah I posted my blenny to compare resting spots, sorry about any confusion, my tailspot is sound asleep and well.

Also I appreciate the photo! It made my me and my girlfriend smile cause your blenny is adorable!

So at this point, what do you guys suggest I do?

I don't really have a QT Tank

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Sorry - I thought the OP was referring to the white spots on the fish, not the white blotches. White blotches is the blenny going into camo-mode, the white spots *might be ich. Anyhow, the more advanced peeps of the forum have answered, so you'll get better responses now. 

Actually agree with you. The raised spots might potentially be ich, hoping just debris but it does resemble it.

1 minute ago, Dgameman1 said:

Also I appreciate the photo! It made my me and my girlfriend smile cause your blenny is adorable!

Thanks, he’s probably my 2nd fav fish, so much activity and personality!

Well like @Clown79 said, only way to 100% eeradicate ich is make display go fishless for like 8-11 weeks and give treatment to mr blenny in a bare QT tank. I am not familiar with QTing tho, so others may chime in.

Some may advise to go full battle mode which may be correct to do, but first make sure the spots don’t just get blown off if maybe debris.

If definitely not, as it should have probably have come off by now, and you just can’t setup a QT, you’ll at least have to do frequent bathes. This will only help get rid of SOME of them until there is a chance your blenny might slime them off, yet often they can easily manifest again as they hide in display and on the fish themselves and if the fish is already far sickened or stressed even from process of catching, treating, etc...could just make it even worse. All other fish can be potentially infected as well. I’ve read the white spots are actually secondary infections caused by ich, not really ich itself, they can be all over a fish without it producing spots immediately so visual assessment that they are “cured” can be often misleading.

Moreover, trying to catch a tailspot in a tank with LR is in itself stressful for you and the fish, as mine is lightning fast and can hide in virtually any hole he can fit in. 🙄. So if you figure out it is a parasite, in the case of a tailspot, I would go fishless and setup a QT.  Just would probably be so stressful trying to treat with bathes and success rate is unpredictable. It’s definitely an ordeal I really try to avoid having to happen, one of the reasons I bathe all fish and eliminate any chance of bag water xfer prior to ever introducing fish.

• Like 1
luckie1966

Looks like detritus  stuck on blenny to me. Marine ick will be more uniformed meaning all same size  .From picture it looks like some could be ick? I would definitely keep the blenny under observation and if it is ick the other fish will get it pretty quick. If it is ick you will know shortly like with in a day or two and by then it's usually too late. Keep us posted ok?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dgameman1 said:

You need to read up on ich and thoroughly to understand it.

Treating a fish and then returning it to the display just removes the ich from the fish but not the tank, which can cause reinfection upon reintroduction into the tank.

If you have other fish, they need removal and treatment as well or there is no point in treating the blenny because ich needs a host, the host is a fish.

Bathing fish prior to entry into a tank is fine for some(I don't like pre treating fish at all because I believe it weakens the immune system- do we take antibiotics everyday to prevent infection?)

It also doesn't prevent ich from being introduced via corals, plugs, rocks, inverts.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, luckie1966 said:

Looks like detritus  stuck on blenny to me. Marine ick will be more uniformed meaning all same size  .From picture it looks like some could be ick? I would definitely keep the blenny under observation and if it is ick the other fish will get it pretty quick. If it is ick you will know shortly like with in a day or two and by then it's usually too late. Keep us posted ok?

Good point! Yeah I think she just got hurt and when she was on the sandbed stuff was stuck to her cause she seems to be swimming perfectly fine now and there's no dots or anything!

Yay+

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You need to read up on ich and thoroughly to understand it.

Treating a fish and then returning it to the display just removes the ich from the fish but not the tank, which can cause reinfection upon reintroduction into the tank.

If you have other fish, they need removal and treatment as well or there is no point in treating the blenny because ich needs a host, the host is a fish.

Bathing fish prior to entry into a tank is fine for some(I don't like pre treating fish at all because I believe it weakens the immune system- do we take antibiotics everyday to prevent infection?)

It also doesn't prevent ich from being introduced via corals, plugs, rocks, inverts.

Yeah I appreciate you! I pretty much stayed up till 3am reading all about it

• Like 1
4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

It's not ich. That's the defense reaction when it is frightened or spooked.  The camp mode so to speak.  I had a tail spot blenny for a couple months and it seemed super happy and fine and up and died randomly on me as well. I'd look around for your shrimp and see if it's gnawing on an empty skull or something?  That's how I found mine!

Yeah update everyone!

She's doing perfectly fine!

It was just detritus, she may have just hurt herself on something

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunate news 😞

My Blenny just passed away and I saw my Darwin clownfish have a long white stringy

Poop.

There's no physical symptoms other than these so I feel like it's internal parasites.

I read that API general cure works wonders for this.

I don't have a QT tank. Am I able to just dose a reef display tank with inverts and corals?

Thanks!

Ah no, sorry to hear. I would not ever treat with meds in the display. Many are not invert safe and can disrupt the entire ecological balance in your tank especially if it absorbs into rock and substrate.  

50 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

Ah no, sorry to hear. I would not ever treat with meds in the display. Many are not invert safe and can disrupt the entire ecological balance in your tank especially if it absorbs into rock and substrate.  

It's okay 😞

Just loved her so much!

So I'll get a QT tank and dump that in there.

Do I need to keep the tank empty of fish or nah for this?