SaltCritters.com

First Reef - 30 Gallon Long

Jono

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

The tank is looking great and stand is nice and clean. I was wondering if you ever added another pump after you moved the uv hob to quarantine? Cyano can sometimes occur from lack of flow, so adding another pump may help keep it away

56 minutes ago, MrJDanP said:

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

The tank is looking great and stand is nice and clean. I was wondering if you ever added another pump after you moved the uv hob to quarantine? Cyano can sometimes occur from lack of flow, so adding another pump may help keep it away

Not before the cyano cleared up. I am saving up for a better/different powerhead (would like a wave maker with random flow). However, my AC50 started acting up, so I bought a new one for 20 bucks. After setting it up and taking the old one down, I cleaned it up and got the old one working again. So, now I have 2 of them. I like the look of the Icecap Gyres, but it will be a bit before I can get some new pumps. 

23 hours ago, Jono said:

Not before the cyano cleared up. I am saving up for a better/different powerhead (would like a wave maker with random flow). However, my AC50 started acting up, so I bought a new one for 20 bucks. After setting it up and taking the old one down, I cleaned it up and got the old one working again. So, now I have 2 of them. I like the look of the Icecap Gyres, but it will be a bit before I can get some new pumps. 

If you aren't dead set on the gyre, I would recommend the aqamai kps. I just got one and I'm running it low power on my 10g. I love it. You get all the control-ability that you could from an ecotech at half the price. I think it would be a good choice for your tank. My one con is that the app is a little buggy, but it works and can easily be fixed in the future. 

Cool, I'm not dead set on ANYTHING, ha. I'll look into those. I just know I want something I can control and create random flow, or at least alternating flow. I have found that if I sit there and flip my pumps on and off (I don't do this too much, just a test really), that tons more debris and food get blown around and up into the filters than when they are just on a constant flow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking into getting one more Prime just to even out the light and shadowing some, and found a Hydra 26 HD for $150, so I bought that. I feel like it will be way too much light, but also figured I could sell it and get another Prime plus something else. I couldn't pass up that good of a deal. Still contemplating powerheads, looking at all of them. Probably will really just depend on what I find at a good deal. 

Took some pictures, so figured I'd upload them here. Have a really hard time getting a good looking full tank shot since it's so wide and I'm just using my iPhone. 

Used Snapseed to edit out some blue, so if they look edited, it's because they are. 
Mostly wanted to upload a FTS and see what you guys think I should look into for my next corals, and where you would place them in my tank. 
Also wanted to show my D.A. Hermit Crab's new favorite perch 😑
IMG_5707.thumb.jpg.ca49c8b09be57bd09f7f9c3ae9aa8b40.jpg
IMG_5716.thumb.JPG.7781a8e17640f18ccba11ba0e917f625.JPG

IMG_5713.thumb.JPG.7ba16ed73af4f6ae7c440344c258eee0.JPG

IMG_5678.thumb.JPG.c0a05b206a74109a9df7520747f14b14.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I posted this in the lounge but figured I should update my thread here.

Woke up on Saturday, was cleaning the tank and noticed some water dripping. Cleaned it up, and more came out, ran my towel down the corner where it was coming from and it started gushing out. I quickly grabbed some buckets and siphoned out the water, got the live rock and coral in two buckets and the fish in another. Ran to the store, bought a big rubbermaid and put everything in that with the heater and power heads.

Everything is still in the tub, seems to be going well. Ironically, my hammer coral looks better than it ever has 😂

Wife and I have had some unexpected expenses lately so we both came to agreement that I can get another tank but it's going to be some time before I can buy it. I have the 20H from when I quarantined my fish. I spent the morning cleaning it really well, and am going to fill it and run carbon for a while. I'll move what I can into that so  I can at least see and enjoy my corals and fish (and monitor them better). Probably still too small for ALL my fish (maybe, what do you think?) but I can at least get all the coral in there and maybe the clowns. I'll leave whatever live rock and fish that don't fit in the 20 in the rubbermaid until I can get a new tank. 

It was a really big bummer, and I hate that it happened, but I'll try to make something good out of it. I like the idea of having a sump on my tank, so now I can get a drilled tank I suppose. I also really liked the shape I had but it seems that that is going to be harder to find, so I may go with something new. We will see! 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2

Dang that sucks!!! Not sure what the budget is but before I decided to go with a rsr250 I was looking at IM's new tanks. They came put with a tank that has a built in external overflow. No stand or sump but it's all ready to be plumbed into one.. just an idea..😎

@Weikel I love the look of those tanks. Maybe I can save up enough to get one. This 20 gallon is looking pretty good though, it will hold me over for sure. I decided I'm going to try bare bottom, so I painted the back and bottom black. I made a makeshift mount for the Hydra26 I have and got it filled halfway with water. Waiting on some more water to mix up. Moved a little faster on it than I thought, but I don't think I'll get anything moved over until next week when I have some more free time. 

Here is the tank, it looks a little lonely on my 48" aquarium stand lol. 

IMG_5785.thumb.JPG.b7785ffa1b68f9a79885c0e5b8b54034.JPG

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Jono said:

@Weikel I love the look of those tanks. Maybe I can save up enough to get one. This 20 gallon is looking pretty good though, it will hold me over for sure. I decided I'm going to try bare bottom, so I painted the back and bottom black. I made a makeshift mount for the Hydra26 I have and got it filled halfway with water. Waiting on some more water to mix up. Moved a little faster on it than I thought, but I don't think I'll get anything moved over until next week when I have some more free time. 

Here is the tank, it looks a little lonely on my 48" aquarium stand lol. 

IMG_5785.thumb.JPG.b7785ffa1b68f9a79885c0e5b8b54034.JPG

Well that was fast lol... looking good

Got the "backup tank" scaped and everything moved over today. I'm not sure this will be such a temporary tank. I think this is just my new tank. I like the rock work right now, this picture doesn't really show great depth but you get the idea maybe. I need to take a side shot to show it better. I had a hard time not making it look cluttered or like I just piled in rocks, but I also wanted to fit as much stuff from my old tank in there that I could. Let me know what you think. 

Seems like I will rock this tank for a while, I guess smaller is better sometimes 😉

Tomorrow I'll move coral around and glue some down. Kind of just threw stuff in there today. 

IMG_5809.thumb.JPG.21ddf07149ff92255d75305337f86f1e.JPG

• Like 1