Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Some coral reef footage I took in the South Pacific!

dpoltsdsu

dpoltsdsu

I made a quick video of some footage I took of some reef life I found in the South Pacific in French Polynesia and the Cook Islands. I think it's cool to see some of the coral that we keep in our tanks out in the wild. I thought you guys may enjoy some of it!

• Like 9
  • Wow 4
  • Thanks 1
WV Reefer
57 minutes ago, dpoltsdsu said:

I made a quick video of some footage I took of some reef life I found in the South Pacific in French Polynesia and the Cook Islands. I think it's cool to see some of the coral that we keep in our tanks out in the wild. I thought you guys may enjoy some of it!

Awesome! 😀

• Thanks 1

Sweet!

Just a note to others, there is more impressive footage in the first half of the video (if you just click play, it starts somewhere in the middle).

• Thanks 1
Christopher Marks

Incredible footage @dpoltsdsu, thank you for sharing!

You captured some amazing footage with beautiful framing. I love seeing the waterline and the coast too, such beautiful beaches. That hermit crab! 😍

Was there anything that surprised you during your dives there, anything you hadn't seen before?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Incredible footage @dpoltsdsu, thank you for sharing!

You captured some amazing footage with beautiful framing. I love seeing the waterline and the coast too, such beautiful beaches. That hermit crab! 😍

Was there anything that surprised you during your dives there, anything you hadn't seen before?

Thanks, I appreciate the kind comments.

I was actually surprised by the diversity of hard coral in the shallow lagoon area. Saw species of Montipora, Acropora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, and Poccilopora. Another thing I was surprised by was the polyp extension on the Acros. Despite the numerous Butterflyfish, there was a lot of polyp extension with the Acros which was surprising. 

Areas that seemed to have the most hard coral growth had a lot of back and forth water flow, lots of algae eaters including snails, hermit crabs, and many, many tangs. 

Also saw a lot of Maxima Clams that seemed to thrive where the hard corals were located as well.

• Like 3

Finally just got around to watching this. Very well done. Must’ve been ten times better to actually be there. That shot of the hermit towards the end, has to be my favorite. The music synced up just right and the beautiful backdrop. Really well done. Pull out the Amex and go make us another video. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Finally just got around to watching this. Very well done. Must’ve been ten times better to actually be there. That shot of the hermit towards the end, has to be my favorite. The music synced up just right and the beautiful backdrop. Really well done. Pull out the Amex and go make us another video. 

Thanks for the kind words. Funny you say that about the hermit crab, it's one of the most common animals but that shot is my favorite as well. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sickstring said:

Stunning. As a diver for 30+ years, I’m jealous.

Did that shark sneeze at 3:18....lol.

When it "sneezed" I started laughing underwater and had to clear my regulator. Not sure what it's doing in that video but it looks just like a sneeze lol.

• Haha 2
banasophia
24 minutes ago, dpoltsdsu said:

When it "sneezed" I started laughing underwater and had to clear my regulator. Not sure what it's doing in that video but it looks just like a sneeze lol.

Haha it’s like my daughter’s favorite Larry Taffy joke! Are you sure you were swimming in saltwater... not pepper water, which makes sharks sneeze?