Pod Your Reef

Missing fish and inverts

Gtrain

mndfreeze

Also don't forget that if you run a really nutrient poor/light system and don't have a lot of algae growth your snails can actually starve to death.  It can LOOK like theres enough algae but really there isn't enough.  

If you haven't fed all week and have livestock left feeding a little to make sure they don't die is OK.  Just didn't want you over feeding while you were trying to trap since you want the thing to ideally be hungry.

• 2 weeks later...

So have pulled all my rock work apart and went digging. Found the two empty strombus snail shells but nothing else. Stirred up and heap of detritus and gunk clogg d the new filter pad in a hour. No sign of anything else. Trap has got nothing over the last week. 

My my guess is the cbs had a big part in it. Also found the shells of the dead snails jammed right under the rock work buried under sand

The CBS is most likely the culprit.  With a newer tank it could be a lot of reasons, but at this point I would just replace your CUC and continue on as normal and don't worry to much about it unless it starts happening again on a major scale.  

Pistol shrimp will sometimes kill snails and hermits that get to close to their holes, but you would know, just like you would know if you had a mantis.  Its audible clicking.

You could always get your tank cleaned up and running again, capture the CBS and trade him in at an LFS for a less agressive shrimpie.  Skunk and fire cleaners are both safe, but can be crack heads when it comes to stealing food from coral mouths lol.