ReefCleaners.org

Programmable light schedule

JBM

So, I acquired this light through a trade. Prior to this light, I've never had something so adjustable, user customizable or powerful. Quiet frankly, it scares me a bit. 

It has a setting for lps and sps. My concern is, I've never ran a tank that simulates real sunlight or a sunlight schedule. Ive always ran my reefs with 6-8 hours of light.  Now with nearly 13 hours of light. I'm concerned about nusance algae issues. Also, I've cut all the settings by 60-70% for acclimation. 

IMG_2058.PNG

I wonder if you would want to reduce intensity by more than that. It's a new light and you are greatly increasing the photoperiod (even with the ramp ups).  From what I've read if your spectrum is set right algae won't tick up too much. Algae really prefers that red/yellow range.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Nocturnal said:

I wonder if you would want to reduce intensity by more than that. It's a new light and you are greatly increasing the photoperiod (even with the ramp ups).  From what I've read if your spectrum is set right algae won't tick up too much. Algae really prefers that red/yellow range.

There isnt much information or data out there about custom light schedules and intensities. Right now the light is most definitely at "full blast" for what i've programed it to do. It appears very dim, altho corals seem, to be loving it. Meaning, the ABI par38 12 watt this fixture replaced made the tank "look" bright and lively but the zoas would "reach" for the light..... Today is the first day nothing is "reaching" for light