Coral Vue Hydros

Seahorse??

lobster876

So I am getting a pair of captive bred erectus seahorses and was wondering if these fish would be fine with them

2x ora pj cardinal

1x ora sharknose goby

2x pipefish (unsure of the species)

1x manderin goby

Snow_Phoenix

You can ask @vlangel in this forum for guidance. To date, she's one of the very few people I know here who has kept pipefish/ponies long-term. You can visit her aquarium journal thread - loads of stuff to learn from, from her experience. 

MainelyReefer

I would pass on the cardinals, they might work but would be a pain during feeding.  The pipe fish and mandarin I'm sure would get along with sea horses but then your stacking in a bunch of pod eaters and supply might be worn thin unless the system is specifically designed and maintained for their increased needs.

I have a 60 gallon tank with a 125 gallon sump but the refugium takes up around 75 gallons of it.

I have started planting some assorted macros and gorgonians

5 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

You can ask @vlangel in this forum for guidance. To date, she's one of the very few people I know here who has kept pipefish/ponies long-term. You can visit her aquarium journal thread - loads of stuff to learn from, from her experience. 

@vlangel since the tag doesn't seem to have worked right :)

• Like 2

Hi lobster, I personally think those fish 'should' be ok with seahorses.  I have a pair of pajama cardinals in with mine.  You have to be willing to remove a fish that shows aggression however.  

I too would be concerned about so many pods eaters.  Its great that your sump is so large but if your tank is fairly new, I would not add the mandarin or the pipefish until the system has really had time to mature.  I would also add all captive bred fish because your CB seahorses will not have resistance to wild caught pathogens.  If you do get WC fish then I would treat for ich and keep in a QT for 7 weeks.

• Like 1

ok sounds good I already have had the pipefish in qt for around 1 month and have already got them eating both frozen and coral frenzy coral food

• Like 1
8 hours ago, lobster876 said:

ok sounds good I already have had the pipefish in qt for around 1 month and have already got them eating both frozen and coral frenzy coral food

That is excellant that your pipefish are eating frozen.  Well done.  I have 2 captive bred mandarins that I thought were trained on to frozen but are not.  I am working on them now in a smaller system to eat frozen.