Cultivated Reef

Question about media basket in Biocube

Rob22

I have an inTank media basket in the second chamber of my Ocanic Biocube 29. I’m curious as to how efficient it is considering a few things. Due to the fact that it has media in bags inside of it, there will obviously be some resistance for the water to pass through. The way this is designed the water comes from the first chamber into the top of the media basket and flows through all chambers out through the bottom. One of the ways to silence the water flow in the Biocube is to raise the water level in the second chamber. With the water level raised, will this affect the flow through the media basket? As we all know water will take the path of least resistance so I am concerned that with less airspace for the water to fall coupled with the media causing resistance that the water will just start overflowing out of the top of the basket. How does this basket still work?

jamescstein

When I still had the stock coralife pump there was no overflow. I've since upgraded to an MJ1200 and there is a little overflow, but not a significant amount. My water level is high due to a Tunze skimmer in chamber 2 as well.

The water is meant to go through media at a decent rate not a fast rate.

Too much gph can impede the use of the media. The water moves too quickly through it making it ineffective. 

Gph for filtration should be 7-10 times flow rate.