Innovative Marine Aquariums

AI Prime HD or XR15 pro gen 4?

Matpea

Hey guys,

looking for some input on people’s thoughts on lighting a 12” deep, 18” x 18” cube for predominantly sps. 

I am am torn between an AI prime HD and an XR15 pro gen 4. I understand that the XR15 highly out guns the prime, but I am intrigued about the power the prime HD can produce.

As I said it is going to be predominantly sps frags growing out with some lps. 

Has anyone had any positive results running the prime hd with sps 10” - 12” below the surface using the prime HD rear mounting kit?

Anyone think the XR15 is going to be overkill for the size of the tank?

from these numbers. even the light at 100% everything. with an 18x18 inch tank it wouldn't work for an SPS dominant tank. I dont think you would be running at 100% so the numbers would be even less

There are alot of people with sps under Ai.

Do a Google search. On other forums it was used for sps tanks by many

That being said, radion is still a top of the line light. 

Depth of the tank will also be an issue.

Hey everyone,   I have owned one radion xr30 gen 4 pro vs two ai hydra 24 hd.  I was never satisfied with the radion and I used them for six months.  I hated the colors of my tank.  It was too dark or too light.   Also the ends of the tank were very dark.  I don't know about the prime.   I recently traded out the radion xr30  for two  AI  hydra 24HD and I absolutely love them.  I can run all blues and my and my tank is still not dark.  They are wonderful.   I don't know about the prime but the HD's are great.  I lost a part and the customer service responded within 24 hours and they are sending the part no questions asked...free of charge.  I can't say enough.  The programming is super easy.  I had to make some adaptations because my 40 gallon breeder has a double rim all the way around but I got it to fit by cutting just the inside rim "NOT THE TOP" and filling the gap with reef epoxy....fits like a charm.  Hope this helps someone else.  AI HANDS DOWN!

• Like 1

Kinda hard to compare 1 XR30 over a 40 breeder vs 2 Hydra 26. You will get way more coverage and fill in all the shadows with 4 pucks over the tank vs 1 radion. My last tank I had 1 XR30 gen3 over my 40breeder and it to was a little dark with alot of shadows. I eventually traded it for 2 Kessil 350w. My current 20" cube I have a single xr30 and I have yet to fill the tank. setting up the program on it is very bright since its a much smaller tank. I woulda got the XR15 but got a stupid good deal on this xr30 I went with it 

I have the XR14 gen 4 over my 13g nano with the diffuser running at 70% currently. Trying to see what I can get out of it without bleaching everything. Predominantly SPS. I have the Ecotech mount so it’s probably 12” or so above the tank with the SPS about 6-8” below the water line. I’ve had it a few months. Love it so far. 

It would do great over your tank. My tank’s dimensions are 15x12 and it casts a wider net of light than that. Would easily do 18x18. IMHO

MainelyReefer

2 ai primes > 1 xr15 

You will get a more even spread and less shadowing and 2 primes cost the same as 1 radion. Plus the hydra 26 is the truly comparable model to the xr15 and then You save 50$

HarryPotter
39 minutes ago, Zeal0201 said:

Upgraded from a current orbit to a Radeon XR15W pro gen 4...

And wow the difference is just absolutely stunning 

Well yeah, I would say that the orbit BARELY qualifies as a reef capable light. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Well yeah, I would say that the orbit BARELY qualifies as a reef capable light. 

Literally my pride and joy. I went back to my LFS returned it and told the owner he should be embarrassed to sell that light. Told him I wouldn’t be coming back after leading me in the wrong direction.

4 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

2 ai primes > 1 xr15 

You will get a more even spread and less shadowing and 2 primes cost the same as 1 radion. Plus the hydra 26 is the truly comparable model to the xr15 and then You save 50$

Over an 18x18 tank there wouldn’t be any shadowing and with the combination of the new puck they incorporated and the diffuser the light produced there’s no shadowing or color separated shimmering. My light easily throws outside the tank by several inches and that’s at 12”. 

MainelyReefer
1 hour ago, nicholc2 said:

there wouldn’t be any shadowing

This is just plain wrong.

I don't care how much you paid for a light, if it's a single point light source it will have shadowing.  Put your hand at the edge of the tank, the side facing the tank is illuminated and the side facing away from the tank will be shadowed, this same effect is happening in tank just to a lesser degree.  Two primes would definitely be more versatile and stop shadowing, just as two xr15 would reduce shadowing compared to one.  Just so you know I prefer kessil/T5 combo so I understand wanting a light with a name 

3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

This is just plain wrong.

I don't care how much you paid for a light, if it's a single point light source it will have shadowing.  Put your hand at the edge of the tank, the side facing the tank is illuminated and the side facing away from the tank will be shadowed, this same effect is happening in tank just to a lesser degree.  Two primes would definitely be more versatile and stop shadowing, just as two xr15 would reduce shadowing compared to one.  Just so you know I prefer kessil/T5 combo so I understand wanting a light with a name 

Of course using that as an example there is a shadow. All I can say is in my tank light is evenly distributed across the entire tank. Obviously PAR varies due to depth and off center but with the diffuser much less so than without. Look up the BRS review of the diffuser. I believe in that one they do a PAR distribution comparison both with and without. 

Also have to remember with more than one fixture you have to take into account where the two cross as that area will have higher PAR since there are multiple light sources working on the same area. So you have to be able to spread the fixtures apart far enough so as to minimize that. You want even spread but not too much overlap.  Just have to keep that in mind with multiple fixtures.