Cultivated Reef

Hi Everyone,

Good day, I'm fairly new to the site and I am trying to learn as much as I can and am enjoying a lot.

I am planning on setting up a 15.9 gallon nano tank with the following specs:

• L = 19.75 inches
  • W = 15.5 inches
  • H = 12 inches

I already have the tank and the following equipment

• Dymax Vortex Cooling Fan W-8 (Given that I am at a tropical place)
  • Refractometer

I am planning on getting the following equipment

• Tidal 55 for my filter
  • Chihiros A601 for my lighting with the ff specs
    • 39 watts
    • Around 8000k Color Temp
    • and 5800lm
  • Any available 240gph circulation pump (Sadly Hydor Koralia isn't available in my country)
  • 10 - 15 pounds dry rock
  • Live sand

For the bio media, I am planning on using either of the following (Can you suggest which of which should i get?)

• Phosban
  • Polifilter
  • Purigen
  • Active Carbon

I am wondering whether I can keep the seachem matrix bio-media and bottom foam filter (spoonge) that comes with the seachem tidal.

I am also getting my salt water test kit and salt as well.

Since we don't have Bio-Spira in our country, can I use API Quick Start? Do they do the same thing?

I won't be adding faunas and corals until a month or so but do you have any suggestions on what I can keep on my nano tank?

Thank you very much everyone! And I apologize for the inconvenience my post will cause you.

Hello and welcome.

The tidal is an excellent filter. Ran one on my 15g. Best filter I have ever owned! It's silent too.

Ditch the sponge and bio media. Sponges are nutrient factories and bio media is not needed as you have liverock to do that job.

I like to use the following media 

carbon (seachem or kent)- bag and replace every 2-3 weeks

Purigen- bag and replace when it goes brown

Filter Floss-changed buy in bulk, cut to size, replace twice a week

Phosguard- I use tiny amounts but advise only to use as needed.

I buy it in the containers and bag it myself.

You only need 10 lbs of rock.

Not sure about api quick start but you will also need an ammonia source to dose to get the tank to cycle when using dry rock.

Not sure about the light. 8000k is pretty low.

Corals need 10k-20k

Where are you located?

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Json! :) 

It looks like the LED light you've referenced is better suited for freshwater planted aquariums, the lighting spectrum may not be sufficient for keeping coral. Are there any other potential lights you have been considering?

Hi guys thanks for the wonderful supply.

I'm located in the Philippines, and my current problem now would be where to get the ammonia source.
As per the lighting, I am considering this other option: Full Spectrum 54 watts, 12000k.

But I am quite unsure which of these are the best. I am not familiar with what these means.
Which one should i pick? Thanks guys!

(Additional question, will 8000k not work when keeping only soft corals?)

A.png

B.png

C.png

D.png

That's a par bulb. Screw into light fixtures.

It would work. The spread may not be great. Depends on the optics.

You could also try 2, 24 watt par bulbs.

There is a misconception on soft corals. They still need a certain spectrum and my experience with softies- they like light.

I usually know my light is not right, too low, or the coral is not placed right by my leathers which stretch and move towards the light source. xenia love light and do poorly in low light.

Some mushrooms and polyps do well in low light but don't colour up well.

I highly suggest you research lighting for corals. There is a whole section here on it.

8000k will give you poor growth and Brown corals. 6000-8000 good for freshwater plants.

You want a fixture that has 3:1 blue led to white. 

As for ammonia source. Pure ammonia is used or a fresh deli shrimp in a media bag can be used. 

• Like 1

Noted on this one sir.

Planning on getting 2 27 watt par bulbs since it's the one available here.

As per the given par bulbs above should I go with the one that has a lot of blue led? Since it does not really fit 3:1 blue led to white.

Will try to find a way for ammonia source.

Thank you sir!

Filter floss is used during cycling. Then you can add other media.

Sponges(foam blocks) and bioballs are not recommended to use. They tend to lead to nutrient issues 

My plan would be to add only filter floss and seachem matrix while cycling.
Then after the tank is cycled, use filter floss, purigen, carbon and phosban (only if needed).

Is this a good permanent filter media combination?

Thank you sir!

And just a follow up question sir, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Do i change the filter floss while cycling? And do I need to do water changes weekly?

There are a lot of opinions about this and I get most of their points. I just want another valuable opinion from an experience nano reefer.

Thanks sir!

2 hours ago, Json said:

And just a follow up question sir, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Do i change the filter floss while cycling? And do I need to do water changes weekly?

There are a lot of opinions about this and I get most of their points. I just want another valuable opinion from an experience nano reefer.

Thanks sir!

Yes, definitely change the floss during cycling. 

A waterchange is performed once the cycle is complete. The percentage of change will depend on nitrate levels

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2018 at 12:49 AM, Json said:

Hi Everyone,

Good day, I'm fairly new to the site and I am trying to learn as much as I can and am enjoying a lot.

I am planning on setting up a 15.9 gallon nano tank with the following specs:

• L = 19.75 inches
  • W = 15.5 inches
  • H = 12 inches

I already have the tank and the following equipment

• Dymax Vortex Cooling Fan W-8 (Given that I am at a tropical place)
  • Refractometer

I am planning on getting the following equipment

• Tidal 55 for my filter
  • Chihiros A601 for my lighting with the ff specs
    • 39 watts
    • Around 8000k Color Temp
    • and 5800lm
  • Any available 240gph circulation pump (Sadly Hydor Koralia isn't available in my country)
  • 10 - 15 pounds dry rock
  • Live sand

For the bio media, I am planning on using either of the following (Can you suggest which of which should i get?)

• Phosban
  • Polifilter
  • Purigen
  • Active Carbon

I am wondering whether I can keep the seachem matrix bio-media and bottom foam filter (spoonge) that comes with the seachem tidal.

I am also getting my salt water test kit and salt as well.

Since we don't have Bio-Spira in our country, can I use API Quick Start? Do they do the same thing?

I won't be adding faunas and corals until a month or so but do you have any suggestions on what I can keep on my nano tank?

Thank you very much everyone! And I apologize for the inconvenience my post will cause you.

Hey there I have a question for you. I’m thinking of getting the same cooling fan as you did my tank. Do you like it? And do you find it noisey? Thanks