Pod Your Reef

chaeto refugium instead of skimmer in 50g display?

NanoRox

At the risk of sounding stupid, would it be feasible to NOT install a skimmer in a sump and instead convert the sump area meant for the skimmer into a chaeto refugium?  Total system volume would be 75 gallons with the display sitting at 50 gallons.  As a follow up to that, would that even be advisable?  Would a skimmer be more beneficial to the system if the sump area does not have enough room to accommodate both a skimmer and a refugium? 

HarryPotter
25 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

No thoughts? 

Yes thats fine. You can also do both, I have a skimmer and refugium in the same chamber. You should consider making a "master thread" instead of all the small ones, so people can provide more specific and informed recommendations :) 

Thank you.  There was no master plan...questions coming up as I learn of various system limitations.  One would think a more specific inquiry would elicit more  responses but you may be right.  Thanks again. 

Skimmer vs Fuge... depends.

There are crappy skimmers and beast skimmers.... and a fuge obviously does more if it has a larger space to work with... ect. 

If we are talking about an average space a skimmer sits (not overly large). A quality skimmer will be more powerful but also more expensive.

One of the advantages a fuge offers is a area for pods/micro-fauna to reproduce so some people use it for that purpose alone.

Which you should go with also depends on your other filtration and bioload.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 11:15 AM, Tamberav said:

Skimmer vs Fuge... depends.

There are crappy skimmers and beast skimmers.... and a fuge obviously does more if it has a larger space to work with... ect. 

If we are talking about an average space a skimmer sits (not overly large). A quality skimmer will be more powerful but also more expensive.

One of the advantages a fuge offers is a area for pods/micro-fauna to reproduce so some people use it for that purpose alone.

Which you should go with also depends on your other filtration and bioload.

@Duane Clark

I see little need for skimmers, no matter what size tank.  I prefer to use CUC to sequester nutrients.  I also prefer to use macro & cryptic sponges to recycle inorganic nutrients into organic live food.

As reef tank matures, nutrient export consist of fragging and selling coral.  Also as tank biofilter matures, feeding the tank is more important than removing nutrients.  In either case, it is a “question of balance”.

A Little Blue

I agree with “a case of balance” statement. 

Here is an interesting comparison between 3 systems based on different filtration applications. Not that I recommend any of those but to make a point that there are various ways to go about reef tank. And many variants play a role about best and most efficient approach. 

• Like 2

Interesting video, not without its flaws but I believe it does show some differences. Definitely dated but ya.. good nonetheless. 

• Like 2
A Little Blue
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Interesting video, not without its flaws but I believe it does show some differences. Definitely dated but ya.. good nonetheless. 

Ofcause there was some bias involved. I have seems all 3 systems elsewhere with amazing results. It is just a matter of approach, abilities to implement it and goals. I can’t say which approach is better as it is not that simple. What I do know is that any way to minimize maintenance and promote stability is worth a try. 

21 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Ofcause there was some bias involved. I have seems all 3 systems elsewhere with amazing results. It is just a matter of approach, abilities to implement it and goals. I can’t say which approach is better as it is not that simple. What I do know is that any way to minimize maintenance and promote stability is worth a try. 

This SPS tank no longer uses a skimmer and instead has a mostly sun powered display fuge. Tank has a lot of fish, not sure how they stayed out of the photo. I saw it in person and wanted to just walk away with the display fuge. 

1.jpg

[âIMG]

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-tank-365-featured-tank-by-lakereef.381517/

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Julian Sprung runs one of his tanks in very similar fashion. No skimmer, just PhosBan reactor, ultraviolet sterilizer in the sump and separate fuge with huge mangrove and some macro algae.