Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ever add up the total of your order history?

Csalt

CarolinaShoreReef

Everyone's like "are you sure you don't want to come eat?" Nah I'm good there's going to be a frag sale this weekend lol

33 minutes ago, Zorya said:

Story of my life. I save the eating out money as fish money instead. 

• Haha 3
On 2/22/2018 at 9:39 PM, Tamberav said:

God no!!!!! :scarry: My husband might divorce me. :o I might divorce myself!!!

Sweet sweet ignorance... :closedeyes:

^this :closedeyes:

The way I buy coral makes me wonder if I'm insane sometimes. But if I ever checked to see how much it added up to, I'd know I was insane for sure :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lord no. If I want something for a hobby and the disposable income is there then I get it but I never keep track of what I spent over longer periods, if I did that I'd probably have no hobbies at all :D

• Like 1

I once took my mom with me to the fish store.  That was sort of weird.  She was all like "You mean you'll spend $50 on fish stuff but you refuse to replace worn out pants?"  About all I could say was "Yep".  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
CarolinaShoreReef
9 minutes ago, ajmckay said:

I once took my mom with me to the fish store.  That was sort of weird.  She was all like "You mean you'll spend $50 on fish stuff but you refuse to replace worn out pants?"  About all I could say was "Yep".  

I can relate to this experience too much. 

On 2/22/2018 at 11:51 AM, Clown79 said:

Not here.

Just to replace my chloramine carbon block costs $30, that's every 3-4 months. 

Sediment needs changing even more often. Goes Brown in a month.

I only make 10g a week.

So costs me $62 plus 13% tax, plus $10 ship every couple of months.

Now add dosers, gac, purigen. 

It adds up.

Floss is the cheapest. $20/yr.

Amazon is your friend. I figure there are bound to be some canukan places to get that stuff cheap, or maybe one who will ship to canadia. Examples.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D43H5VM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1IEADM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYF5J4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thats $100 a year for me, as I don’t have chloramines to worry about. Floss, I have a lifetime supply from Walmart that cost me $12. I just have to cut it myself.

Edit. Forgot the DI resin.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X92KOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, $120 a year, but I get about 1.5+ years out of all that resin.

21 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Everyone's like "are you sure you don't want to come eat?" Nah I'm good there's going to be a frag sale this weekend lol

"you don't wanna eat with us?" Nah I'm getting some fish today xD

• Haha 2
On 27/02/2018 at 7:46 PM, RayWhisperer said:

Amazon is your friend. I figure there are bound to be some canukan places to get that stuff cheap, or maybe one who will ship to canadia. Examples.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D43H5VM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1IEADM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYF5J4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thats $100 a year for me, as I don’t have chloramines to worry about. Floss, I have a lifetime supply from Walmart that cost me $12. I just have to cut it myself.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X92KOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's US dollars plus you have to pay customs fees and shipping.

Cost me over $50cdn to get the Abi par38 on amazon.com. It was $24US with free shipping within US after $25.

Check amazon.ca- not cheap at all. Costs more than stores.

There is no bargain shopping here for reef stuff and all the stores are between $2-$3 difference.

RayWhisperer

Ok, then your only option is to pick up an American lover. Have said lover bring you reef related dry goods every time they visit. I’m glad I could help you find a way to save lots of money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
squamptonbc
On 2/27/2018 at 4:46 PM, RayWhisperer said:

x2

Cheap + Canada are 2 words that do not go together lol

Nothing is cheap in Canada, we pay a premium on everything.

I am lucky as I live 30 mins from the border so have a US PO box so I can order from the US and get the free shipping...lol

I think if I added up how much I've spent over the last 25 years I could buy a house with cash.  :wacko:

On 2/22/2018 at 11:51 AM, Clown79 said:

Not here.

Just to replace my chloramine carbon block costs $30, that's every 3-4 months.

How much chloramine do you have???  Here, we have about 2 ppm chloramine.  I use a regular old 1 micron carbon block (the smaller the micron the more effective), only 1 carbon block, I change it once a year, and it is $11 I think.  My membrane is 6 years old, produces 5 ppm TDS from 200 ppm tap water, so the carbon block is obviously doing its job.  I replace the DI resin (from the ammonia) every 5-6 months.  I usually make 60 gallons per week product water, but there have been years where I was using much more (like when I used this same membrane for my aquaculture business I was making about 200 gallons per week).  Maybe you're wasting your money?

4 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

Nothing is cheap in Canada, we pay a premium on everything.

Except ultra corals - in the USA they pay waaaaaaaay more!  More demand for the ultra pieces.

4 hours ago, Myka said:

I think if I added up how much I've spent over the last 25 years I could buy a house with cash.  :wacko:

How much chloramine do you have???  Here, we have about 2 ppm chloramine.  I use a regular old 1 micron carbon block (the smaller the micron the more effective), only 1 carbon block, I change it once a year, and it is $11 I think.  My membrane is 6 years old, produces 5 ppm TDS from 200 ppm tap water, so the carbon block is obviously doing its job.  I replace the DI resin (from the ammonia) every 5-6 months.  I usually make 60 gallons per week product water, but there have been years where I was using much more (like when I used this same membrane for my aquaculture business I was making about 200 gallons per week).  Maybe you're wasting your money?

Well in 3 months my di resin changed complete colour which means it needed changing, my sediment filters are rust brown in 2 months.

The longer you wait to change sediment, the harder it is on the remaining chambers as particles start getting through.

So no I don't think i changed it too much.

And I want 0 tds in my tank water.

The higher the tds levels and the harder the water- the faster the filters are used up.

Chloramine regardless of how much is used, is not capable of being removed with regular carbon blocks.

Maybe you don't change yours enough because di resin is to be changed when there are detectable tds levels.

That's not being picky, that is how the resin works.

So allowing your tds to get to 2-3, means your resin is exhausted and you are using RO water not rodi.

Chloramines and chlorine are very long lasting and strong chemicals, the only way to know if they are by passing the filter system is by testing for them, not by tds levels.

squamptonbc

Chlorine is a relatively simple chemical to remove and is short lasting for the most part.

Chloramines is more difficult of course. I am glad my region doesnt use it. Just chlorine which simple carbon block deals with.

I probably average sediment filter change evert 6 mos. Its never brown. A light tea color at worst.

I stopped using DI. I get 0 TDS without most of the time. Once in a blue moon it will be 1. 

When I did try DI. After 12 mos it still was not exhausted. 

Of course we are pretty lucky in Vancouver to have some pretty awesome tap water which I know isnt available to all.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Well in 3 months my di resin changed complete colour which means it needed changing, my sediment filters are rust brown in 2 months.

The longer you wait to change sediment, the harder it is on the remaining chambers as particles start getting through.

So no I don't think i changed it too much.

And I want 0 tds in my tank water.

The higher the tds levels and the harder the water- the faster the filters are used up.

Chloramine regardless of how much is used, is not capable of being removed with regular carbon blocks.

Maybe you don't change yours enough because di resin is to be changed when there are detectable tds levels.

That's not being picky, that is how the resin works.

So allowing your tds to get to 2-3, means your resin is exhausted and you are using RO water not rodi.

Chloramines and chlorine are very long lasting and strong chemicals, the only way to know if they are by passing the filter system is by testing for them, not by tds levels.

Yes I test for chlorine and chloramine all the time. Chloramine is easy to deal with - my 6 year old membrane is proof because chlorine and chloramine wreck membranes. I have a COM-100 tds meter too and I change the DI when I see 0.01 ppm. :)

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Jeez my yearly DI is so much cheaper than y'all, $11 per year. 

Then again, I don't care about TDS under ten :rolleyes:

Don't bother with DI resin then - when it exhausts it dumps the ions it collects.

squamptonbc
3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Jeez my yearly DI is so much cheaper than y'all, $11 per year. 

Then again, I don't care about TDS under ten :rolleyes:

My tap is 10 sometimes...lol. Usually hovers around 15 to 20 most of the year.

I could probably in theory go a year on the same sediment filter as even at 6 mos I dont have any drop in pressure or any indication its not working still.

But they are like 3 dollars or so, so may as well change them twice a year.

• Like 2
HarryPotter
8 hours ago, Myka said:

Don't bother with DI resin then - when it exhausts it dumps the ions it collects.

Really? Yuck! Didn’t know that ?

it it still does take input 30 to output 8, so it’s doing “something”?

HarryPotter
7 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

My tap is 10 sometimes...lol. Usually hovers around 15 to 20 most of the year.

I could probably in theory go a year on the same sediment filter as even at 6 mos I dont have any drop in pressure or any indication its not working still.

But they are like 3 dollars or so, so may as well change them twice a year.

Jeez my tap is over 400! My sediment filter still looks clean so I haven’t bothered to clean it in a few years. Nor the carbon block or anything. 

13 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

Chlorine is a relatively simple chemical to remove and is short lasting for the most part.

Chloramines is more difficult of course. I am glad my region doesnt use it. Just chlorine which simple carbon block deals with.

I probably average sediment filter change evert 6 mos. Its never brown. A light tea color at worst.

I stopped using DI. I get 0 TDS without most of the time. Once in a blue moon it will be 1. 

When I did try DI. After 12 mos it still was not exhausted. 

Of course we are pretty lucky in Vancouver to have some pretty awesome tap water which I know isnt available to all.

Ya you are lucky.

The tds in my water was 482 going in. It's been as high as 560.

I miss living in gta - the water quality is better.

squamptonbc

Turns out the store buy 95% of my items at keeps a record of all customers purchases, which makes sense since they ask for your name at check out and phone number...lol...

Since 2008 when I made my first purchase, I have given them 13,567.98.

About 1,300 a year give or take. Not bad really...lol... 

That doesn't include the other 5% which I have bought at BRS, Marine Depot, and Amazon.

Not sure if I asked for the total before of after I spent $450 on Friday, so it might be $450 higher...lol... Bought a few pieces of equipment (booster pump, phosphate checker, fish food, nitrate and calcium test kit, a bucket of salt, and inline TDS meter.)

Wife had to leave the store before the total, she hates fish store spending....

• Haha 1
Christmas Corals

never! cardinal rule! :D:lol:

On 2/22/2018 at 9:10 AM, Csalt said:

Made that mistake.

HeartAttack-2.jpg

LOL!! :lol:

On 2/22/2018 at 9:43 AM, Nart said:

I think I could've leased a Porsche 911 turbo by now.

Preach! ?? Along with most of use! :lol:

Christmas Corals
On 2/22/2018 at 10:24 PM, ajmckay said:

Get a "kill-a-watt" device?

I don't track my expenses, I capitalize them.  If anyone asks, I'm an aqua-entrepreneur.  All my aquarium purchases are "business assets" so they're capitalized at purchase and depreciated over 5 years...  So a $1,000 asset only costs me about $17/month in expense...    In the meantime I've added to my net worth the fair value of the goods. 

lol.

I don't even want to think about it - definitely multiple thousands of dollars I'm sure.

ROFL! haha