Pod Your Reef

Tank Upraded with Old Live Rock

theonepower

I upgraded my Fluval 13.5 to a used RSM 130. I used dried live rock and actually spent time creating my rockscape this time. I had two pieces of LR that I brought over from my Fluval 13.5. One is a 5 lb piece that started as dry rock. The other is a 3-4 lb piece covered in sponges and other awesome stuff straight from the Gulf of Mexico. I want to get rid of the 5 lb piece that I brought over because it is extremely large and does not fit with the new rock scape. I changed everything over to the RSM 130 on 01/16/18. Parameters have been great since then except for one tiny cycle. My question for you guys is: How long do I need to leave that 5lb piece in the new tank? I want to leave it until the new rockscape is successfully seeded. Any recommendations?

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @theonepower!

What kind of bio load does the aquarium currently have? If it's not too high, there's probably not much risk in removing the 5lb rock. Even less risk if you have substrate of any sort. Stability is the name of the game, it's probably better to remove it sooner rather than later, unless you feel your livestock is still stressed from the move last month.