ReefCleaners.org

GulfLiveRock.com???

Cloudburst2000

On 1/18/2018 at 6:38 PM, metrokat said:

:lol:

Kat,

I toured your links this morning.  Awesome stuff.  Kats Nook, for me, was the most interesting.  It reminded me of a 10G tank I had with ornamental macros with ghost shrimp & pods.  Tank was at 5’ level.  When I drank my first cup of coffee in the morning, I would add food and watch tank burst into activity.  Carnivore Snails & bristle worms would pop up from substrate, amphipods larger than mollie fry emerged from interior of chaeto ball to grab flakes bigger than themselves.

13 hours ago, Subsea said:

Kat,

I toured your links this morning.  Awesome stuff.  Kats Nook, for me, was the most interesting.  It reminded me of a 10G tank I had with ornamental macros with ghost shrimp & pods.  Tank was at 5’ level.  When I drank my first cup of coffee in the morning, I would add food and watch tank burst into activity.  Carnivore Snails & bristle worms would pop up from substrate, amphipods larger than mollie fry emerged from interior of chaeto ball to grab flakes bigger than themselves.

Thanks Patrick. The Nook has been my favorite tank so far. I hope to switch tanks in another 4 months to a similar one as the nook. 

I can not overemphasis the biodiversity on GOM live rock.  Even eight  years after this gorgeous coralline live rock  was in tank, I did some major aquascaping to see two differrent macro algae now sprouting.

One could be called red bubble algae.  The other is Wine Cup.

In a separate tank, I have two large live rocks, four months removed from GOM.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 1/18/2018 at 11:37 AM, Subsea said:

http://www.gulfliverock.com/shipping-and-payment-info.html

There are at least three differrent shipping options.  I only bought the 17 lb prepaid Nano pack including shipping once.  It would be good for newbies without too much diversity.  

Instead, I buy in 100 lb bulk and pay for air freight on my end.  The first 100 lbs of air freight is $1 / lb, thereafter it is $0.50/lb.  At 100 lbs, rock cost $5/lb.   If you buy more, it cost less.

I can't even imagine what I'd do with 100 lbs of live rock! :lol: Couldn't someone just request something like the nano pack and pay the difference in a better shipping option?

LulaMae,

I don’t know why that could not happen.    It depends on vendor.  It would have to be shipped direct to your door because air frieght has a 100 lb minimum.  I do not need more rock, but  I will ask Daniel about  that option.  

You are correct, if people could actually see what they are buying, they would pay more in shipping.  I know I would.

• Like 1
Cloudburst2000
14 hours ago, Subsea said:

LulaMad,

I don’t know why that could not happen.    It depends on vendor.  It would have to be shipped direct to your door because air frieght has a 100 lb minimum.  I do not need more rock, but  I will ask Daniel about  that option.  

You are correct, if people could actually see what they are buying, they would pay more in shipping.  I know I would.

You can air ship less than 100lb but you will be charged for 100lb even if the weight is less.  This is what I did with Tampa Bay Saltwater.  Ordered their package for a nano setup but paid air freight charges of 100lb (even though my weight was about 1/2 that when including water weight.

• Like 1

Yes to minimum 100 lb charge.  Depending on air line, that is $60-$80.  If you want 15 lb rock at  $5/lbs then $75 live rock cost $150 with transportation.   That means that rock cost $10/lb.   IMO, quality is not expensive, it is priceless.  

Cloudburst2000
20 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Yes to minimum 100 lb charge.  Depending on air line, that is $60-$80.  If you want 15 lb rock at  $5/lbs then $75 live rock cost $150 with transportation.   That means that rock cost $10/lb.   IMO, quality is not expensive, it is priceless.  

I pay good money for my handbags, why not for my rock?:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/21/2018 at 10:09 PM, Cloudburst2000 said:

I pay good money for my handbags, why not for my rock?:D

This makes me laugh and it feels good.  

Quality is long term.  I agree with you.

Cloudburst2000

Does anyone know how long it takes for Dan to respond to emails?  I have sent three email starting about 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I haven't received any responses thus far.  Kind of discouraging to tell you the truth.  Is he possibly out of town or is he just not responding?

Daniel Sanchez at 813 503-8140.  This is his personnel cell phone.  I suggest that you text first and introduce yourself, then talk with him.

I would not normally give that information out for public consumption.  He should have better customer service.  However, he is diver/owner.  He works mostly by himself.    

Compressorman
1 hour ago, Cloudburst2000 said:

Does anyone know how long it takes for Dan to respond to emails?  I have sent three email starting about 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I haven't received any responses thus far.  Kind of discouraging to tell you the truth.  Is he possibly out of town or is he just not responding?

I just received my shipment from him. Before that I sent him a couple of emails and typically got a response within 24 hrs or so.

1 hour ago, Compressorman said:

I just received my shipment from him. Before that I sent him a couple of emails and typically got a response within 24 hrs or so.

Did you get a purse or a rock!

It happened to me also.  I received shipment with no tracking info, but my situation had other complications.    Something has changed in his automatic notifications,   I will ask him about it.  He asked  me for feedback on the rock.  He should hear feed back on customer service as well.

Dan and his wife had a baby just a short while ago. If you don't hear back I can message him on FB for you - send me a PM if you need me.

On 1/20/2018 at 8:35 AM, Subsea said:

Kat,

Thanks Patrick. The Nook has been my favorite tank so far. I hope to switch tanks in another 4 months to a similar one as the nook. 

• Like 1
On 1/21/2018 at 10:48 PM, Subsea said:

Yeah, local shops charge a good $15 per pound for that real reef stuff!