Coral Vue Hydros

GulfLiveRock.com???

Cloudburst2000

Cloudburst2000

Does anyone have experience with GulfLiveRock.com?  I am setting up a new Biocube 16 and planning to use live rock.    In the past, I have always purchased my live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater as Richard air ships rock submersed in water so there is minimal die off.  This is rock that was aquacultured in the ocean.  Yes, yes, I know all about the pests that come on live rock, but I truly love the diversity you get with live rock.  I remember catching multiple gorilla crabs and bad snails on my last TBS order and that was only for a nano set up :D  Anyhoo, GulfLiveRock also uses aquacultured live rock from the gulf.  They, however, only ship with the rock with wet towels and not submersed in water like TBS.  I would order from TBS again but Richard is out of commission for several months while recovering from surgery :(  GLR seems to be the best alternative.  I can choose to to air ship or it can be shipped ground.  Anyone around with experience from GulfLiveRock?  Does anyone have suggestions of other good live rock to look at?  I am looking for live rock that is covered in life not just the 'good bacteria' live rock.  Thanks!

freemandnj973

Best live rock I've ever purchased to this day which was 8-9 years ago. The diversity you get and free cool corals, macros and critters is awesome. If you're lucky you might get a few long baby long spine urchins as part of your clc like I did.

• Like 1

I used them for my 14g biocube.  It was pretty good.  There was die off but that’s to be expected.  I did not get any bad hitch hikers in my order.  No exotic stuff either but got a few sponges (still alive after 3 months) limpets and a few small feather duster type worms.  Coraline algae was pretty good.  Only thing I did not like at all is the rock came with 3 or 4 large rock clams.  I took them all off with the exception of one that was literally part of the rock.  He still lives today but it’s ugly IMO. 

Gulf live rock is the best.   If you want to pay for the weight of water, GLR will package it for you and ship it to you.

Over the years, I have received 1000 lbs from GLR.  Never a problem shipped damp.  Their Nano rock is OK, but not what you want.  Talk to Daniel Sanchez at 813-503-8140.  He is diver owner.  Tell him what you want.  He should be able to hook you up with what you want.

Rock should be thoroughly cleaned of sand and silt but other than they they have amazing coraline and tons of good hitchhikers.  On 11 pounds I probably got ~8 unique corals you can't really buy in stores or online.  All survived the cycle. Won't be disappointed.  The clams I got completely blended into the rock with coraline coverage and looked like little pieces of rock that "breathed" and are good filter feeders. 

Since the clams have been mentioned a couple times it sounds like it may be a common feature.  here is a quick pic of what they look like so you can decide if you like them should they come with your rock.  Mine is in the center top rock (I've circled it for you).  I also got the live sand from them.  If you get it...rinse it.  I did not which I have had to address afterwards so it will make your life easier if you do it upfront.  

tank 1-12_LI.jpg

Cloudburst2000

Cool!  I already emailed Daniel   I asked yesterday about pricing for shipping.  I just couldn't fathom going to dry rock after the extensive biodiversity I got from TBS live rock.  I had got crabs/snails/corals/bivalves/even a hitchhiking goby.  

Tell Daniel that you will post pictures of his rock on NR.  It is a subtle hint and becomes free advertising for his customer service, as it should be. Every body wins

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
Compressorman
3 hours ago, Subsea said:

Their Nano rock is OK, but not what you want.  Talk to Daniel Sanchez at 813-503-8140.  He is diver owner.  Tell him what you want.  He should be able to hook you up with what you want.

Subsea, why is this? I am planning to get the nano package from them in a few weeks. 

Chris

• Like 1
Cloudburst2000

So what pack does everyone suggest for a 16g Biocube.  I think I want some type of tower formation with a small island or two.  Should I maybe as for one larger rock and  couple small rocks?

Cloudburst2000
1 minute ago, Compressorman said:

Subsea, why is this? I am planning to get the nano package from them in a few weeks. 

Chris

I was wondering the same.  Is it because it is all small rocks.  Might be hard to aquascape with in a 16 biocube which is the aquarium I have?

http://www.gulfliverock.com/shipping-and-payment-info.html

There are at least three differrent shipping options.  I only bought the 17 lb prepaid Nano pack including shipping once.  It would be good for newbies without too much diversity.  

Instead, I buy in 100 lb bulk and pay for air freight on my end.  The first 100 lbs of air freight is $1 / lb, thereafter it is $0.50/lb.  At 100 lbs, rock cost $5/lb.   If you buy more, it cost less.

Cloudburst2000

Hmmm...I definitely want the biodiversity.  Me loves all the little critters on the rock.  That was probably my favorite part of my tank setup...even more then the corals and fish.  I was heartbroken when my tanks crashed over the summer.  When I was on vacation, the air conditioning at my apartment complex died.  It got super hot in the apartment.  My sister was checking on the tank every couple days.  She went in to find everything dead :(  If I like these rocks, I may use them for another tank setup.  I am also planning on replacing the bedroom tank which also crashed (20g Nuvo) with possibly a ReaSea 260 which has about 56g in the display.  That likely won't happen until summertime though.

Based on how dense the rock is, how many lbs would I need for a 16g Biocube.  I think I want a tower formation and one to two smaller islands.  I don't like tanks that are super crowded with rocks as I want room to grow corals.  Maybe the 20lb option.  The next size is 35lb and that would be to much.

19 minutes ago, Cloudburst2000 said:

Hmmm...I definitely want the biodiversity.  Me loves all the little critters on the rock.  That was probably my favorite part of my tank setup...even more then the corals and fish.  I was heartbroken when my tanks crashed over the summer.  When I was on vacation, the air conditioning at my apartment complex died.  It got super hot in the apartment.  My sister was checking on the tank every couple days.  She went in to find everything dead :(  If I like these rocks, I may use them for another tank setup.  I am also planning on replacing the bedroom tank which also crashed (20g Nuvo) with possibly a ReaSea 260 which has about 56g in the display.  That likely won't happen until summertime though.

Based on how dense the rock is, how many lbs would I need for a 16g Biocube.  I think I want a tower formation and one to two smaller islands.  I don't like tanks that are super crowded with rocks as I want room to grow corals.  Maybe the 20lb option.  The next size is 35lb and that would be to much.

personally I think 17lb is all you need.  will also depend on whether or not you will have a sand bed. 

Cloudburst2000
1 hour ago, Duane Clark said:

personally I think 17lb is all you need.  will also depend on whether or not you will have a sand bed. 

Probably, but I thought to maybe get the slightly larger package just in case.  Would rather have a bit too much rock then not enough rock.  Also, if the rock s fairly dense, they will weigh more.  If there is any rock I don't need, I will put it into the old Fluval Edge that I took down about a year ago.  I used it to quarantine corals before putting them in my main tank.  I took it down once I was through adding coral.  It holds about 5g.  After introducing flatworms to a tank years ago with a frag (even after dipping), I ALWAYS quarantine everything now including frags.  I always quarantined fish but never corals until that incident LOL

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Compressorman said:

Chris

Even though shipping included packages say premium deco rock, I think because of the 2-3 day shipping, the extra good stuff is not normally shipped except next day air.

8 minutes ago, Cloudburst2000 said:

Probably, but I thought to maybe get the slightly larger package just in case.  Would rather have a bit too much rock then not enough rock.  Also, if the rock s fairly dense, they will weigh more.  If there is any rock I don't need, I will put it into the old Fluval Edge that I took down about a year ago.  I used it to quarantine corals before putting them in my main tank.  I took it down once I was through adding coral.  It holds about 5g.  After introducing flatworms to a tank years ago with a frag (even after dipping), I ALWAYS quarantine everything now including frags.  I always quarantined fish but never corals until that incident LOL

that sounds like a good plan.  I would love to see what the difference in the rock is.