SaltCritters.com

yay! all setup

Cyclo

About 6 months ago I bought all my stuff, but with a very busy summer I decided to hold off on setting up the tank until things calmed down.

Now I have the time and got everything fired up! :). Just put my LR rock in this afternoon.

Tank specs:

10g (regular ole rectangular glass tank hehe)

96w coralife lights

14lbs LR

1-1.5" Sandbed

Aquaclear Mini HOB filter on the back

126 (or something in the low 100s) GPH PH

aanndd I think thats it :)

I'll post pictures later this evening so you guys can critique the aquascaping.

I have one question though. I didn't realize my LFS sold cured LR so I'm a little uncertain how the cycle will be. I hear the cycle can be shortened with cured? What time frame am I looking at, and will I get a spike as per uncured.

Thanks guys!

;) ;)

I love the look of a new tank. Makes want to start another new one. When I started my 10g, I made a habit of taking a full tank shot every first of the month. Makes for a good progress report and it fun to look at. Good luck.

yep 20"

It could sit right on the tank if i wanted it to, but it came with some stands that raise it up about 2" and make it more stable.

If you want I'll take a picture of the canopy tomorrow.

If you can that would be great!, is it 1 96W tube?

does it have a actinic bulb or a moon light along with it?

sorry for the questions just curious to see what types of lighting other members have because i am looking for a fixture my self

Originally posted by EtOH_is_good

that must be some dense rock.  i like lots of rock in my tank.  looks like you could use some more.

Yea it is pretty dense, and I got some big chunks too. I thought I could use some more rock too, is it possible too have to much LR?

Originally posted by smokez01

If you can that would be great!, is it 1 96W tube?

does it have a actinic bulb or a moon light along with it?

sorry for the questions just curious to see what types of lighting other members have because i am looking for a fixture my self

Its a quad 50/50. 2 10ks and 2 actinics, but they all plug into 1 socket. Heres a couple pictures...

Tested out my params today...

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrate: 10

Nitrite: 0

pH: 7.9

Salinity: 1.021

Temp: 81

Guess I have to raise the pH a bit, how can I do this?

Also I the salinity needs to go about a little?

What about temp? Should I bring this down a bit?

I also through in a little fresh crab meat to help kick start the cycle. I read to do it with shrimp but had some crab in the freezer I assume its ok to use that.

as long as there is room for your inhabitants then you can never have too much lr.

you don't have to seed your cycle just wait. yes increase your salinity to 1.025. a slightly lower temp may be also better.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates

- I'm up to 18lbs LR now (dense stuff :()

- Thinking of going for an AC500 fuge

- Starting to win the war on algae (running Sea Gel 24/7 and its working great)

- Added a few goodies

- Wishing LFS would stock some colorful zoos and rics, looking for an online vendor that can ship to canada :P:D

- Enjoying things alot! :)

personal preference. I like my rock stacked upwards, and not flat down like that, so it doesn't look like some chunks of rocks stuck together.

For example, I went from this:

8798Day19Lowerrsolution-med.jpg

to this:

8798Day19NewAquascape-med.jpg

and then to this current one:

8798Day30-med.jpg

Personal preference, again heh. My rock equals less places to put coral.

that bridge in the center looks like a person's foot.

good luck w/ith your tank! my tank is going through som eheavy algae cycles

sorry about the hijack but, holy, get some fiji or some slabs. all those branches are making me dizzy. are those structures stable? where are you going to put the coral?

Coral? what coral? HAHAHA i'm poor

just kidding

there are some nice flat spots to put the corals, but i don't plan on totally blanketing the tank with them (mainly a FOWLR system)

they were most stable in the first picture, but my tank sprung a leak and i had to change all the rock. Now theyre moderately stable, as in fish shouldn't be able to move them, but a stray human hand while cleaning can knock parts of it over.

sorry for hijack.

smoothlarryhughes

In my experience I had a few large pieces of rock in my minibow and I just ended up breaking them all up into smaller pieces. Made my tank look more natural and look alot better in my opinion.

I hate that light. watch it over the next few months...it will turn from nice white-blue to white-yellow...the fans turn into little noise makers. I have one that just quit working after one year just laying around my basement now.

Yea the fans got noisey, but I fixed them.

How many months until it gets yellow? I plan on replacing the bulb every 6 months anyways. I've heard good things about it but I guess I'll have to wait and see. If they suck I may as well upgrade to a bigger tanks if I'm getting new lights anyways.

Tank Updadate

I got 4 frags of different colored zoos last night. They are pretty I'll get some pictures soon.

My clown comitted suicide last night by jumping. I guess I'll be throwing my glass top on now. Cleaner shrimp has molted, and so have a couple hermits.

My open brain is finally starting to open, but some of my GSPs are starting to close. My sponge is still orange :. All my zoos are open, and my ricordia looks nice.

Future Plans

For now I'm just going to let my tank mature a bit. I have alot of frags and they need time to grow in I think. I'm also rethinking what to do about fish. Perhaps a pair of percs, and a small goby would be nice.

Originally posted by holyherbiness

8798Day19Lowerrsolution-med.jpg  

8798Day19NewAquascape-med.jpg  

8798Day30-med.jpg  

Looks like you are trying to spell SOS or something, or are there spirits from the reef beyond trying to send you a message?:P:)

Archived