Coral Vue Hydros

First time tank!

jorahx

Tank- IM nuvo20

Return Pump- Sicce 1.5

Lights- Nanobox Duo 

Heater- Eheim Jager TruTemp 75 Watt Fully Submersible UL Approved Heater

Slimmer- Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Ghost Protein Skimmer - DeskTop

hi guys! Building my first tank. After spending countless hours reading and researching on this site and many others I finally started getting it all ready. 

Build the stand my self out of some shelving I had left over from house remodel, and found an extra piece of granite that I cut down to fit the stand and tank. 

Live stock- none. 

No idea what I want just yet. And I figure I have weeks to research and decide. Probably going to get some snails for clean up. No idea how many yet.

IMG_2667.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

wanted to make a safe spot for the anemone. so it wouldnt roam around and hit the powerhead, or over flow, or corals so i did a DIY box. using some plastic grate type stuff and zip-ties. and my flipper magnate to hold it up. cheap. easy. and i can change the size based off what i need. 

2.jpg

1.jpg

Scape is very nice! I will say, it's generally recommended to wait six months to stabilize the tank before adding an anemone. Is the box to be its permanent home?

3 hours ago, gsechen said:

nice tank, fellow IM nuvo 20 and nanobox duo owner myself. question how did you get your light so low?

the arm that i bought it with is very flexable and can be positioned at any height that i want. nanobox told me that it should be between 3-8 inchs above the water.

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Scape is very nice! I will say, it's generally recommended to wait six months to stabilize the tank before adding an anemone. Is the box to be its permanent home?

i have some torch corals on the way, so this will be its home untill i figure out how to anemone proof the power head and where to place the torchs. might put the torchs in here while i let the anemone roam around untill it finds it a place to settle.

3 hours ago, Fury Reef said:

How did you get people to donate coral? I need to figure that trick out.

join local reef clubs. they are wonderful when it comes to help and donating old corals that they want to replace. 

Great to see your progression! I'm still waiting on my rock to cure and starting to get impatient lol. Btw so how long did you keep the BTA in that box you made? What would be the point of putting him in there vs putting him right in the DT?

7 hours ago, Mozby's Reef said:

Great to see your progression! I'm still waiting on my rock to cure and starting to get impatient lol. Btw so how long did you keep the BTA in that box you made? What would be the point of putting him in there vs putting him right in the DT?

i dont want him to wander into the power head. Or go kill my corals

5 hours ago, jorahx said:

i dont want him to wander into the power head. Or go kill my corals

Ahhh but eventually he would still want to move around so that is inevitable? There is a protective screen for powerheads that will prevent nems from getting hurt. As for the corals... no guaranteed solution right? I want to get a BTA too so let me know how it goes with your plan.

• 1 month later...

Update!

I got a icecap gyre 1k to get some solid flow! but it is a little to strong for my small tank. so i have it pulsing between off and 10%.

Also got my dosing pump set up with ATI Essentials! 4 days in a row with testing and alk hasnt changed one bit! better stability!

• Like 2
Mozby's Reef
6 hours ago, jorahx said:

Update!

I got a icecap gyre 1k to get some solid flow! but it is a little to strong for my small tank. so i have it pulsing between off and 10%.

Also got my dosing pump set up with ATI Essentials! 4 days in a row with testing and alk hasnt changed one bit! better stability!

Nice! I'm considering mp10s myself. Do you think the gyre might be a better option?

TitusNuvo20

I also have the IM 20 and was looking at that 1k gyre. What is your full review on it? Gotta love those free corals. Even a bounce shroom? Crazy. It's looking great! 

17 hours ago, TitusNuvo20 said:

I also have the IM 20 and was looking at that 1k gyre. What is your full review on it? Gotta love those free corals. Even a bounce shroom? Crazy. It's looking great! 

no the bounce i had bought.

anyways time for the gyre 1k!

it is almost to strong for the nuvo 20.  i run mine at 10% and it blew all the sand away on the right 4 inches of the tank. all settings except one require 20% at the minimal. i found one setting (the forward/reverse setting) that allows for 10% strength. so i set mine up for,

2 seconds forward 10% strength

2 seconds 0% strength

repeate

this way it keeps the circling gyre and a pulsing effect. 

TitusNuvo20
13 minutes ago, jorahx said:

no the bounce i had bought.

anyways time for the gyre 1k!

it is almost to strong for the nuvo 20.  i run mine at 10% and it blew all the sand away on the right 4 inches of the tank. all settings except one require 20% at the minimal. i found one setting (the forward/reverse setting) that allows for 10% strength. so i set mine up for,

2 seconds forward 10% strength

2 seconds 0% strength

repeate

this way it keeps the circling gyre and a pulsing effect. 

Once your corals grow in do you think you'd be able to turn it up a little? Would you say it's worth the money to buy one if I already have a couple koralia's in the tank?  

The bounce is sweet though. The shroom craze right now is kinda interesting.

42 minutes ago, TitusNuvo20 said:

Once your corals grow in do you think you'd be able to turn it up a little? Would you say it's worth the money to buy one if I already have a couple koralia's in the tank?  

The bounce is sweet though. The shroom craze right now is kinda interesting.

i have mostly LPS in my tank, and i feel the one i have on the opposite side of the gyre is in to much flow. the other side of the tank i think is good flow. even if the coral get larger i feel it still will be to much flow for the right half of the tank. this is all at 10% power!

• Thanks 1

Hey - awesome tank!   I'm really partial to pukani rock so overall I'm a fan of the rock scape you built (don't get me wrong - the scape is nice, not just the type of rock). 

I have a 40br and I'm also thinking about the gyre...  I have a Jebao RW-8 in there now which is way too strong but from what I gather it sounds like the gyre is also...  Lol.  I think that's just the way it is for our smaller tanks.  

Anyways - good luck! I hope that anemone does well - it's really cool looking.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:29 PM, ajmckay said:

Hey - awesome tank!   I'm really partial to pukani rock so overall I'm a fan of the rock scape you built (don't get me wrong - the scape is nice, not just the type of rock). 

I have a 40br and I'm also thinking about the gyre...  I have a Jebao RW-8 in there now which is way too strong but from what I gather it sounds like the gyre is also...  Lol.  I think that's just the way it is for our smaller tanks.  

Anyways - good luck! I hope that anemone does well - it's really cool looking.

in a bigger tank this gyre would do wonderfully! its just a bit to small for this gyre. i feel it works but it blows the LPS torches around a lot. 

and the rock, i had no idea there was different kinds when i first started out. so chose some from a near by LFS and started creating my aquascape. haha

thanks for viewing! i love feeding the anemones and watching them take all the food in. 

ChristopherDido

Can I see a pic of the stand you built? I'm currently looking for inspiration for building a better stand for my classroom tank. Thanks! Tank looks awesome! Keep us posted!