Top Shelf Aquatics

Hanna Alk Test or Red Sea Alk Test?

reefrox

Hey guys, 

Anyone else frustrated with the red sea Alkalinity test kit. My new one recently has a final colour of Yellow/green. And no matter how many times I do it I just cant get a semi accurate reading of the colour change.. Before it used to turn from Blue to Red if I remember correctly. (has made me stop testing as pointless getting in-accurate readings :/   

Debating switching to a Hanna Alk tester. But some people Ive spoken to say its not that good either.. 

Any thoughts or recommendations.

Brian whitman

I just got the red reef foundation test kit today and the alk test goes red to blue. Does yours have a color wheel that it comes with?

I would eventually like to get the Hanna checker, nothing better than a digital readout 

There's 2 red sea test kits.

The pro turns red to blue. Did you possibly purchase the other kit?

I like salifert better than the red sea but the Hanna checker has really good reviews...hoping Santa brings me one?

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Brian whitman said:

I just got the red reef foundation test kit today and the alk test goes red to blue. Does yours have a color wheel that it comes with?

I would eventually like to get the Hanna checker, nothing better than a digital readout 

No colour wheel. I think thats for the nitrate or phosphate test. Mine used to go red to blue, but seems my newer one ends at yellow/blue. Very hard to read.

Ill have to ask brs if red sea always changes this as the older one where it turned red was much easier to use.

17 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

I have used both and love the hanna checker (dkh).  will never use anything else. 

Thanks I think Ill try this.

16 hours ago, Clown79 said:

There's 2 red sea test kits.

The pro turns red to blue. Did you possibly purchase the other kit?

I like salifert better than the red sea but the Hanna checker has really good reviews...hoping Santa brings me one?

Nope I purchased the Pro Alkalinity Refil from brs. The refil because I alread had the card and holder. But the new pro kit came with a new card that had the new colours on it...

Five.five-six
36 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

IMO the Hanna Alk Checker is the biggest instant game changer I've  ever experienced doing this stuff for years ....absolute no brainer.

I have never used one, how much better is it than a regular test?

burtbollinger
1 hour ago, Five.five-six said:

I have never used one, how much better is it than a regular test?

its better because to me, its SUPER easy...and makes it ZERO effort to test ALk. daily for extended periods of time....I would not be doing as many tests or be nearly on top of my alk. without it.  I only speak for myself...but to me, its the best thing I've ever bought.  With other test kits, i find reasons to put it off....to guess....the Hanna checker for dKh is so easy, that I've never not done a test out of laziness....one year in.  It makes daily testing FUN even.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

its better because to me, its SUPER easy...and makes it ZERO effort to test ALk. daily for extended periods of time....I would not be doing as many tests or be nearly on top of my alk. without it.  I only speak for myself...but to me, its the best thing I've ever bought.  With other test kits, i find reasons to put it off....to guess....the Hanna checker for dKh is so easy, that I've never not done a test out of laziness....one year in.  It makes daily testing FUN even.

The regular testing is annoying and time consuming. The Hanna looks very easy and quick...plus no trying to figure out the right colour etc.

Five.five-six

I have a weekly routine where I test the SPS trinity every weekend with Salifert. Perhaps if I have some extra money burning a hole in my paypal i might try a Hanna checker.    It sounds interesting.   

if only buy one Hanna test kit, absolutely get the Alkalinity checker

it is accurate, and easy as can be.  it's the only checker that is a must buy.

• Like 1

Apex Trident ?

But seriously I have hated the red sea tests for years.  When I kept sps I used the Hanna alk checker and salifert tests for everything else.

Hanna is the best tester out there at the hobby level for anything.

With that being said, you have to consider the cost of the tester and reagents and how often you plan to test.  I test alk every other day in two tanks. and the hanna tester just would empty my wallet.

I like the new version of the red sea alk tests they turn from Blue to green and then to Yellow when you are past the green. So I feel they are accurate enough for what I do.   

the refills for the red sea are about $12-15 for 75 tests(you can get more if you reuse unused reagents), where the hanna is $8 for 25 so that's $24 for the same 75 tests.

I am sold on Hanna dkh.  Also use their phosphate.  I use red sea pro for everything else.  The alk is a no brainer and works well.  I'm a bit surprised someone has heard some negative about it.  I've seen a fair bit of complaint about the calcium Hanna but not alk.  

46 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

I am sold on Hanna dkh.  Also use their phosphate.  I use red sea pro for everything else.  The alk is a no brainer and works well.  I'm a bit surprised someone has heard some negative about it.  I've seen a fair bit of complaint about the calcium Hanna but not alk.  

this

i swear by the Hanna alk and ULR phosphorus checkers.

48 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

Surprised too. I have not heard any issues with the alk tester either.