Cultivated Reef

cloudy water

fot80

I'm setting up a new tank.  13.5 Fluval Evo. Finished a fishless cycle.  Then put in a clown goby with a few crabs for two weeks, while monitoring everything.  I decided to add a diamond goby.  He's been digging like crazy which is what I was expecting, but the water is so cloudy now!  The sand is neither fine, nor course so I don't think it's sand particles and I did give it a good rinsing before setting up my tank.  Is this a bacterial bloom?  Has he freed up trapped bacteria?  The water was crystal clear right before I added him.

The cloudiness is from all the sand and items in the sand bed being stirred up from the goby.

I had a sand sifting goby, my tank was a cloud and my corals were ticked off from all the stuff landing on them

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

I am on week 3 of my Evo 13.5 cycle, just the slightest disruption of my live sand bed makes the water cloudy for me.  A water change would be the quick fix, are you running the Fluval skimmer in the first chamber?  I have it and I'm unsure if I want to keep it in there or not. 

On 12/8/2017 at 8:30 AM, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

I am on week 3 of my Evo 13.5 cycle, just the slightest disruption of my live sand bed makes the water cloudy for me.  A water change would be the quick fix, are you running the Fluval skimmer in the first chamber?  I have it and I'm unsure if I want to keep it in there or not. 

I have the fluval skimmer.  I haven't installed it yet, but will soon.  Have you had poor results?  is it not worth it?  Overall, I've had excellent experiences with fluval, but sometimes I've been flabbergasted.  One instance is the fact that the heater they advertise for the fluval evo 13.5 doesn't fit in the tank!.  Unacceptable.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

Same issue with my Fluval heater, it's in there  but it's not clean.  I essentially had to cock it at an angle to get it to fit.  Too early to tell if the P2 Skimmer was a good move or not, I'm a month in and it does skim and appears to be removing gunk.  If I could do it again I would skip the skimmer and buy the "InTank" media basket that is made for the EVO and fits into that 1st chamber where the skimmer would go.  The result would be better flow and better filtration.

In Tank Fluval EVO 13.5 Basket

• Like 1