Jump to content
DaveFason

NanoBox Diffuser Splash Guards

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

You got it. Personally I would leave you setting as is and see how things react. 

Then I want one too.  :-)    I will watch for the updates when they are ready 

Share this post


Link to post

I got mine installed, but in the end, I'm not gonna end up using it...the thickness of the material (exacerbated futher by sitting on top of the other material) causes the light to shine and reflect brightly around its clear plastic edge/'rim'....causing very bright spots as you look at the fixture from the angle i usually sit at.  
 

I think ideally, it would be even less translucent and made of a thinner material.  Ideally as thin as the existing guard...using the original screws.

No big deal...was worth a try. 

 

My screws were also slightly too long.

Share this post


Link to post

Gotta admit...I had the same experience. I actually sharpied the edge of the plate which worked well enough but ended up just going back to the old splash guard.

 

I agree with @burtbollinger as far as the recommended adjustments 

 

I was happy to give it a shot though. I was never unhappy with the shimmer in the first place, just wanting to try it out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

I got mine installed, but in the end, I'm not gonna end up using it...the thickness of the material (exacerbated futher by sitting on top of the other material) causes the light to shine and reflect brightly around its clear plastic edge/'rim'....causing very bright spots as you look at the fixture from the angle i usually sit at.  
 

I think ideally, it would be even less translucent and made of a thinner material.  Ideally as thin as the existing guard...using the original screws.

No big deal...was worth a try. 

 

My screws were also slightly too long.

 

15 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Gotta admit...I had the same experience. I actually sharpied the edge of the plate which worked well enough but ended up just going back to the old splash guard.

 

I agree with @burtbollinger as far as the recommended adjustments 

 

I was happy to give it a shot though. I was never unhappy with the shimmer in the first place, just wanting to try it out.

 

Can you guys try this, using it without the current splash guard? 

 

Would a small black "rim" around the guards help?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, DaveFason said:

 

 

Can you guys try this, using it without the current splash guard? 

 

Would a small black "rim" around the guards help?

I installed it without the existing splash guard, and the smaller OG screws worked but the bright sides were still the issue at the angle I view the tank from...

yes, a rim of some sort is exactly what it would need....a rim and even a touch of overlap I imagine would be helpful.  

 

lol in the past i've experimented making shields from cardboard and zipties

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

I installed it without the existing splash guard, and the smaller OG screws worked but the bright sides were still the issue at the angle I view the tank from...

yes, a rim of some sort is exactly what it would need....a rim and even a touch of overlap I imagine would be helpful.  

 

lol in the past i've experimented making shields from cardboard and zipties

 

 

I will contact my laser cutter today and get something going for you guys. I just tried the same and notice what you guys mean. Not sure how this was missed. I just used a sharpie to black out the side and it worked. I will however get a piece of acrylic cut for you guys and change it to the current ones. 

 

Thanks for the feedback!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

I will contact my laser cutter today and get something going for you guys. I just tried the same and notice what you guys mean. Not sure how this was missed. I just used a sharpie to black out the side and it worked. I will however get a piece of acrylic cut for you guys and change it to the current ones. 

 

Thanks for the feedback!!!

 

Just a thought, maybe a black vinyl sticker could work? That would provide a bit of thickness depending on the brand and also I’m sure you already have a sticker cutter? 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

 

Just a thought, maybe a black vinyl sticker could work? That would provide a bit of thickness depending on the brand and also I’m sure you already have a sticker cutter? 

Funny, I just did that... Mind reader! 

-Dave

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/7/2018 at 12:40 AM, teenyreef said:

I haven't installed mine yet but "black sharpie" was my first thought :D

electrical tape around the edges was the fix...works very well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dave, I just ordered this for my ATI Hybrid, I'll let you know how it works out.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/lighting-diffusers/lumen-xt-lw3-polycarbonate-sheet

Here is the Literature on it. It states 93% transmission, but I won't know unless I try it.  I'll take par numbers and see what I think. If it doesn't work, then in the trash it will go.

http://www.eplastics.com/pdf/PDS112_Lumen.pdf

Share this post


Link to post

not to dig up an old thread but are these still available? 

 

also i bought a tide from you awhile back and the alternate style gooseneck… wondering if you have a rubber plug or something to plug up the open hole? i’ve had tape over it for the past year lol. ready for an upgrade

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, tonydahomie said:

not to dig up an old thread but are these still available? 

 

also i bought a tide from you awhile back and the alternate style gooseneck… wondering if you have a rubber plug or something to plug up the open hole? i’ve had tape over it for the past year lol. ready for an upgrade

I do have them. I bet we could 3D print a plug. Shoot me an email. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...