Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vermitid Snails the good and the bad.

chaostactics

Pic: Hitchhiker vermetid on cerith snail

This are really neat creatures. Before I knew better I put 3 chunks of baseball to golf ball sized live rock with colonies in the tank. 

When trying to ID them I found mostly flat out hatred for these creatures. During move between two tanks i pulled the colonies and smashed every one I could find. 

However I have one cerith in my tank with a hitchhiker vermitid. It leaves a mess when it feeds occasionally but nothing the corals can't shake off in a few hours and it doesn't seem to leave any permanent damage. 

TL:DR

If you can isolate a small colony of these on a rock in an open area of your sand bed their cast net style of feeding is spectacular to watch, but keep them off your main rock work. Probably a complete no-go with apps. 

Warning article. 

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/vermetid-snails-harm-coral-reefs-with-multiprong-attack

20171112_185322.jpg

burtbollinger
7 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

how do you exactly kill them with those tools?  I have hundreds of them all over...

some of the tools are angled, and are very strong....and have a needle point, which is perfectly sized for inserting into the hole at the top of each tube....insert the needle probe into the tube of the vermitid, push down....and give it a vigourous twist...this destroys the snail down to the base...then simply twist again, and then perhaps give a few scrapes...the snail ceases to exist.  

bottom line, it will be common sense once you have the tool in your hand...these are the perfect tool for vermtid destruction.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

some of the tools are angled, and are very strong....and have a needle point, which is perfectly sized for inserting into the hole at the top of each tube....insert the needle probe into the tube of the vermitid, push down....and give it a vigourous twist...this destroys the snail down to the base...then simply twist again, and then perhaps give a few scrapes...the snail ceases to exist.  

bottom line, it will be common sense once you have the tool in your hand...these are the perfect tool for vermtid destruction.

Thanks Burt. I have had these proliferating in my EVO for a few months now and have been breaking the tips off the tubes when I find them during WCs. They don't seem to be bothering anything at the moment, but I would like to get them under control before it gets any more wide spread. This looks like an effective method for population control of this nuisance. 

I have newer tank.  found one, puttied it up, found more, more putty, have scrapped off with razor blade also.  I think it is cool to find diversity in your tank, but no one seems to think having vermitid snails a good thing.  I like the tool idea.   

• 1 month later...
On 13/11/2017 at 11:35 AM, burtbollinger said:

Those are great! 

Thanks.

My 10g has tons of these and I have been snapping the tubes but it isn't a permanent solution. 

On 14/11/2017 at 12:30 AM, brianinak said:

I have newer tank.  found one, puttied it up, found more, more putty, have scrapped off with razor blade also.  I think it is cool to find diversity in your tank, but no one seems to think having vermitid snails a good thing.  I like the tool idea.   

A few isn't a problem but when you have a lot, they become an issue with irritating corals.

I had very few in my 15g and there was no issue but my 10g has A LOT of them, the webbing was annoying to me lol and the corals.