Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Starting a new IM Fusion 10, need rock help

R_Pierce

Hey guys (and gals) its been over a decade since I last had my 125 gallon reef tank, but have just recently decided to get back into it.  Starting off slow with a 10 gallon nano AIO from IM.  My question is, now many pounds of dry rock  will I need from Marco's?  I ordered the 20 pound nano kit thinking that is probably way more than enough, but was just curious how much some of you were using.

Ill seed it with a small chunk of live rock.

Thanks in advance!!

With dry rock, you'll probably not need but about 10 pounds, but a 20 pound box will give you more options for scaping, especially if you specified the size tank you've got and they're able to accomodate you.

The whole # per gallon usually doesn't leave you a lot to work with in regards to scape. @Lula_Mae is absolutely right in that ordering 20pds of dry rock will give you much better options when it comes to scape and who knows, you may end up using it all. I have about 40pds of rock in my 20gallon tank but its also a solid wall of rock. Just depends on the look you are going for. 

Also welcome back to the addiction.... I mean hobby. 

4 hours ago, TFish77 said:

The whole # per gallon usually doesn't leave you a lot to work with in regards to scape. @Lula_Mae is absolutely right in that ordering 20pds of dry rock will give you much better options when it comes to scape and who knows, you may end up using it all. I have about 40pds of rock in my 20gallon tank but its also a solid wall of rock. Just depends on the look you are going for. 

Also welcome back to the addiction.... I mean hobby. 

Im just looking for a basic center scape.  I prefer a more open sand bed.  So basically something for the fish to swim around and to put some frags on.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, I think I used about 5 pieces of dry rock.  Ill post up a couple pictures here in a second.

Not the best pictures but give you an idea.  The water was a little cloudy from me having to move around the rocks a little bit.  Ill try and get some better ones up later.

Front view

zeZXT8V.jpg

side view

M4DBr0b.jpg

And I know I should remove the frag plugs.  I still might do that, and break the putty back off.  I dont know if I can stomach the look of them until the stuff grows out.  Its a lot more noticeable in the nano than it ever was in my 125 gallon.

I removed them today.  All except the frogspawn and the hammer.  Well rather put them in the sand until I get some rubble and glue.  I rearranged the rock just a little bit as well to create a couple caves for the fish to swim through/around.  I'll get a couple pictures here when I get a chance.