Pod Your Reef

Montis doing great, Euphyllia - not so much

I'm Batman

What gives?? I have crazy encrusting growth from a few different Montipora but somehow my Euphyllia have slowly started to decline...

I've watched the tissue on my hammer slowly recede and I had a dead Frogspawn that was coming back to life all of a sudden shrunk back in to nothingness. 

Funny thing is another wall hammer i had that died off in my other tank, is making a very nice recovery.

Looking for tips on this. Doesn't make sense to me, im at barely detectable Nitrates, 1500 Magnesisum, 500 Calcium and 10dkh.

Shouldn't everything be JAMMIN?

same here. I have a torch ive had for months that is doing great, split from 1 to 4 heads. Ive added an orange frogspawn and a gold torch. The frogspawn acted up for a week or two then inflated and looked good. Then suddenly went to shit melted away. Same thing with the gold torch. But the original torch is fat and happy as ever. Some do good and some just don't in my experience 

• Like 1

Keeping lps and sps together in a small tank and keeping them all happy is difficult.

They both require different things.

Sps: high light, high flow

Lps: low- moderate on both 

Lps also like nutrients. Next to no nutrients is an issue. 

So I would consider lighting, flow, and low nutrients being the issue for the euphyllia.

I'd also check for Brown jelly disease

• Thanks 1
burtbollinger

just my 2 cents:  

nitrates closer to 5 than 0... ride Alk. closer to 8.5-9.... hate to think you're at 10 and are actually at 11.

also...just a thought but your SPS are low and the LPS are high... better off if that were reversed.  

flow is also important ....euphyilla want moderate flow, at most.  I'd like to see a 20-second clip showing what's up with your flow.  IF you had your flow too high, (even if it was just for a few seconds) tissue could easily be torn in a way that would cause the slow decline you are seeing.  I've had 5-second blasts of an MP10 kill octospawn...death took weeks and weeks :( 

this advice jives with Clown79....lighting, flow, low nutrients.

one other thing....just theory:

I'm running an LPS tank with a few nice CHEAP montis and stylo SPS frags on top....and I think you really have to choose what your priority is.  For me, LPS is vital...if SPS decline I have placed in the top area of the tank, I can always buy some more cheap nice $30 dollar monti/stylo frags and start over with new tank toppers...but my focus is on very nice LPS...everything in the tank, lighting, flow, their prime real estate placement, nitrates, alk...all is geared for them...  Something to think about as you go forward.   

Ditto with adding junk mushrooms, zoas, toxic leathers, and roaming anenomes....from past experience, I wouldn't let a leather, paly or some big mushroom (or a wall hammer) anywhere near my LPS tank...the more you keep it just LPS, the better.   

I can't back any of this up with anything but personal experience, btw...so your mileage may vary, and I am likely extreme in my caution, paranoia and dislike of soft corals.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...