Top Shelf Aquatics

Senora shakes a new crib

Mark1313

13 minutes ago, Moorahs said:

My male clown suicided yesterday (granted if I were married to someone like the female clown I may well consider the same option). 

OK honestly laughed out loud at that. Yes I'm supposed to say... Oh no, that's terrible. They find the smallest spots. I'm so sorry for your loss. 

But honestly all I could do was laugh cause I think I lived with the human version of your clown. 

Oh and thank you, the look of the tank in just 4 months makes me happy. I know it's not beautiful like others I see, but from my humble noob start, I'm overjoyed. Coral and inverts were my 1st goal. Shoulda stuck to that idea, instead genius me got fins. Fins suck

• Like 2

Ok, a week into my genius self discovering that I have icky, or velvet, or some variety of bad. 

The surviving clown is still covered in "white dust".

Good news... It's still kicking. Strong girl. I think the thing actually ate today, only spit out 1/2 of what it took in, and I saw it take a dump twice during the week. So it's eating something. 

More good news, this skunk cleaner is only on loan from my lfs. I'm not supposed to mention it 'cause it's not normal lfs procedure, but yap yap yap. 

Good thing to, I hate it... To big for the tank, (which I knew to begin with) scares the hell out of the clown, if it's cleaning it, then it's doing it while i sleep. It's a bully, chases the pep and Senora away from the food. It goes upside down to pull floating food off the top before the lazy clown can even sniff it. Knocks over frags. It's a right pain. Yet it stays, cause I'm not positive that it isn't helping this clown keep kicking. 

So next step is still the same step. Do I make a quarantine that will be basically the same damn size as this tank and same amount of work, or do I continue to cross my fingers the clown keeps chugging along?

It's not an easy decision or I would have already did it. Time/money/work for a temp tank, vs losing another fish (which hurts as much as anything else). I can make a goof and joke but I'm not pleased. It hurts. At least now I know why and can correct it, just need to find my most beneficial corrective action that coincides with helping my inhabitants. 

No pics, changed out 50% water and moved some coral around. 

As always, I have no idea how you can read all my long winded stuff, but thanks if you do and I welcome opinions and comments of what a tool I am for killing everything with fins. 

Omg the water change totally hurt the clown. It's not acting normal even for a clown. 

The skunk knows it and sets up, the clown thinks about it and decides to run.. This is shit right now, I know this fish is hurting and I haven't parentened well enough to stop it.

I will correct this and not let it happen in the future. 

Way before my freshwater tanks.. 

Here's a long story that I should have known better from. 

14ish years ago, daughter got a couple goldfish. Threw em in a bowl, all good right? 

Didn't know any better. 

Such a sad thing I witnessed and still connects me. Still hurts. 1 goldfish knew the other was ill. Sick fish was gasping and side swimming. The healthy one would find it in the bowl, get underneath it and push it to the top for air, the healthy would watch it float back down and repeat the process pushing it to the top. It kept pushing it over and over again. Trying to save the damn goldfish. 

You know that's not the best way to type a hell of a story in my head, I've never said it or typed it. I'm feeling a bit of that tonight while I watch this clown hurt. 

It is so weird, my blues are on so I can see the clown struggle and the skunk set up. The skunk has set up in 3 different spots. I know it's setting up you can just tell. Now it's just hanging in 1spot and waiting. Nobody gonna tell me that skunk isn't waiting to clean that clown... The clown keeps getting closer and the skunk is usually a pain tank mate by going over everything. Not now, it's waiting. 

Wow

If anyone could see this. 

The skunk is totally and completely setting for this fish. The clown keeps getting braver. 

The skunk is never this calm, it's just saying.... Here. And this clown is so so close it needs to trust it. This is so cool but so sad that I caused it. 

I'm gonna turn the lights off. The clown wants it so bad and the skunk is sooooo waiting. Where's the faith! 

Meanwhile Senora keeps jumping zoa to zoa and runs back to the hammer home. 

Friend suggested I but "With a Little Luck" by Wings on and make sure the tank hears it. 

Not quite my music, but I'm game. 

Hey :)

So this tool read every word. Hearin ya, and feeling for ya. You are now in that shitty place where you’ve done all the set up moves you can and now all you can do is hurry up and wait. Hope all turns out...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Sad thread. Freshwater doesn’t translate always to saltwater :( 

I’m curious - what exactly do you get out of wading into someone’s journal thread and making a comment like that? 

Dude is pouring his heart out and asking repeatedly for any advice, suggestions or just someone to listen, and that’s what you offer? 

3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Ugh... poor fish...

Friend on the other forum had a Q tank up and empty. They offered it up for a couple months. I delivered the fish on Saturday morning. Woohoo. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Sad thread. Freshwater doesn’t translate always to saltwater :( 

Ya I get that, in a way I guess it is. Although not meant to be that way at all. It surely isn't happy times. 

Basically I make mistakes, I learn from them, I don't repeat em. I'm never afraid to admit them either. 

What I've hoped to do is admit them and maybe someone stumbles on this and says wow, not gonna do that, or (so maybe that's my problem also). I wasn't trying to classify the problems as happy or sad, just admit em, maybe i need the lessons again in the future, I can now see what not to do. Helps me. I'm not perfect. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

@Moorahs

I improve. 

Thanks to you and Kim. Appreciate you both chugging along with my learning and rambling.

So I'm liking this IM 10 a lot more, it's easier, not a constant struggle. 

The 6.6 was an hourly fight. I'm not sure what to do with the 6.6 yet but I know this IM 10 is an ass load easier. Set this up Nov 10th. 

I was gonna tell you both a quick setup build thing, but I ain't quick..... Stop laughing, it's an easy joke. 

Here's this. 

As always, apologies for the crap pics. 

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

• Like 2

IM 10's are nice tanks.  If you decide to shut down the 6.6 you can always turn it into a QT tank.  Good call on not dosing copper as it would've hurt not just the shrimp but the corals and can mean the rocks are not usable ever again for a reef tank.  A QT can be simple, I've got a little sponge filter and PVC pipes for hiding spots.  After an experience with a sick baby clown last spring I doubt I'll ever not QT again lol.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:14 PM, Lula_Mae said:

IM 10's are nice tanks.  If you decide to shut down the 6.6 you can always turn it into a QT tank.  Good call on not dosing copper as it would've hurt not just the shrimp but the corals and can mean the rocks are not usable ever again for a reef tank.  A QT can be simple, I've got a little sponge filter and PVC pipes for hiding spots.  After an experience with a sick baby clown last spring I doubt I'll ever not QT again lol.

I didn't know that about the rocks. Thank you. 

Yeah looks like the 6.6 will make a nice qt for me and anyone local. 

On 1/9/2018 at 12:01 PM, kimberbee said:

Nice! I have an IM 10 too and it's a really good tank! 

Ya I've seen yours.. Awesome sauce lol

Hitching a ride.

So had to do this. 

I only have 1 asterina. Wish I had 6, yep read the horror stories about over run the tank but the one I got is so cool. 

Its stuck around thru thick and thin. 

DSC_0073.JPG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well again.. This tank is so much easier. I wish I had started with it.. But I learned a ton with the tougher tank. 

Sadly it cost a few fishies. 

Anyway here's to better times. 

Cheers matey @Moorahs

20180124_160546-01.jpeg

• Like 1