Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NanoBox Growth: Documenting the NanoBox LED RedSea Reefer

DaveFason

Dave, the tank looks amazing.

I'm impressed with your daily dosing regimen.  I think it is relatively large for a ˜35 gallon tank, but surely the bacteria that you are dosing helps keep nutrients under control.  How are your Phosphates and Nitrates?  Have you considered some kind of carbon dosing? 

6 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Update time! Now that the tank has been running close to a year I can confidently say that LEDs are here to stay. The coloring, growth and health has been phenomenal with little set backs. What have I learned? 

1. Quit adjusting your light. Lock down one setting and roll with it for a few months. Constant adjustment is not good! 
  2. Water changes are key for nano tanks. With the growing popularity of supplement additive/no water change methods I believe water changes are more beneficial and more simple. The constant testing, adjusting, etc can make tank chores a hassle. A 5-10g water change will add the necessary elements needed. Pick a good salt! I am currently using BrightWell Aquatics NeoMarine mixed to 1.026. If you are using a local stores water ask them what they mix it too. I found most only mix to 1.023. 
  3. Feed your corals and fish. I was guilty for a time period for not doing this. I now add this to my morning ritual. 
  4. FLOW! Currently I have a MP40 ( 80% ), RW-4 ( 100% ) and Aquamai ( 100% ) running in the tank. Gentle random flow is needed. The more dead spots, the more festering detritus there is. Pumps are affordable now so look at adding an extra. 
  5. Do not worry about one coral looking bad. If the entire tank looks good, ride it out. One acro behind the Setosa has never looked well. I did not panic or make changes. I finally removed it and gave to another reefer. 
  6. Keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible! 

Current coral food regiment. I feed this in the morning before my breakfast. It takes all of 2 minutes. Use a small container and add tank water. Add the following and toss in a high flow area. 

1. BrightWell ReefSnow - Half Cap 
  2. BrightWell Reef Blizzard - S - One spoon 
  3. BrightWell Reef Blizzard - L - One spoon
  4. Brightwell MicroBac 7 - Half Cap 
  5. Brightwell - Coral Amino - Full Dropper 

Feb 14th : 

topdowncolorfar

Sept 15th. 

redsea91517-5

Dec 31st

NanoBoxJanMore-12

Sept 14th :

NBR090517-2

Dec 27th :

NanoBoxJan-13

Sept 4th : I did remove the acro behind the Setosa 

NBR090517-3

Dec 30th :

NanoBoxJanMore-10

July 4th :

waltdisney

Aug 27th :

redsea82817-6

Dec 30th :

NanoBoxJanMore-9

Current FTS :

NanoBoxJan-15

Enjoy and more too come! 

-Dave

Carry to new page. 

5 hours ago, medinar83 said:

WOW, simply amazing!!!! and no dose usage? 

Thank you and no dosing, yet. 

41 minutes ago, rsucre said:

Dave, the tank looks amazing.

I'm impressed with your daily dosing regimen.  I think it is relatively large for a ˜35 gallon tank, but surely the bacteria that you are dosing helps keep nutrients under control.  How are your Phosphates and Nitrates?  Have you considered some kind of carbon dosing? 

Thank you. With a good selection of corals, fish and inverts I feel ok doing this. The NYOS skimmer pulls gnarly black sludge so I can contribute that to helping the waste. I do not have any carbon or carbon dosing. I took what I learned from my old shallow reef. Good lighting, flow and good bacteria. The Brightwell foods have really been working great. Very impressed! 

If you have never seen my old shallow tank. Here you go. One of my favorites. This picture is when the bryopsis came in to effect ( five years old ). However the corals were SO healthy!

DSC03169

• Like 1
On 1/2/2018 at 4:52 PM, DaveFason said:

I do not have any carbon or carbon dosing.

I understand that the whole idea behind carbon dosing is that bacteria proliferates, consume the excess nutrients (Nitrate and Phosphate) and are later exported out via skimmate.  I think that the MB7 that you are dosing might be doing a similar effect.  Can you share your Nitrate and Phosphate readings?

13 hours ago, rsucre said:

I understand that the whole idea behind carbon dosing is that bacteria proliferates, consume the excess nutrients (Nitrate and Phosphate) and are later exported out via skimmate.  I think that the MB7 that you are dosing might be doing a similar effect.  Can you share your Nitrate and Phosphate readings?

Correct. I will be 100% honest. I have not tested either in some time. I will see if I have any more regents for my Hanna PO4 and if I even still have a Nitrate kit. I have always watched my corals and can normally tell if something is off. 

13 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

are you still using the same light settings?  if not would you post them?

Exact same settings. If you read the page before you will see I just leave it be! 

gone_PHiSHin

i agree, i need to stop messing with my lights  :lol:

its just amazing to me that you run royal blue/cyan/UV at 80% throughout the whole light cycle and only cut out the mint!! 

• Like 1
On 1/4/2018 at 10:20 AM, gone_PHiSHin said:

i agree, i need to stop messing with my lights  :lol:

its just amazing to me that you run royal blue/cyan/UV at 80% throughout the whole light cycle and only cut out the mint!! 

I think that is one of the biggest issues with people having troubles with corals. Constant adjusting. #justdontdoit

• 2 weeks later...

Are you offering this light configuration with mint yet? 

In visiting your website the info on the Quad Plus "product" page states mint but doesn't match the info on the "sales" side which doesn't state mint, only white/lime.

Also I noticed the product page lists 5 dimmable channels and the sales page lists it as 4 dimmable channels....

Forgive me if I'm missing something here? :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, JcSH2o said:

Are you offering this light configuration with mint yet? 

In visiting your website the info on the Quad Plus "product" page states mint but doesn't match the info on the "sales" side which doesn't state mint, only white/lime.

Also I noticed the product page lists 5 dimmable channels and the sales page lists it as 4 dimmable channels....

Forgive me if I'm missing something here? :rolleyes:

Der! One man show and you found a mistake. Thank you! 

Quad has five channels ( mint is included ). I can add mint to any unit however you will loose the moonlight LED. 

Thank you again!

-Dave

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Der! One man show and you found a mistake. Thank you! 

Quad has five channels ( mint is included ). I can add mint to any unit however you will loose the moonlight LED. 

Thank you again!

-Dave

Haha! I only noticed because I've revisited those pages about a gazillion times over the past month.... 

Getting closer to joining the NBR owners club.  :naughtydance:

Cheers and keep up the good work! 

• 2 weeks later...
redseaFTS

A few updates on the tank. 

• Tank has been running extremely well. I will need to start dosing a two part solution. 
  • After using Brightwell products I have had a couple corals respond better than ever. The orange scoli is out of this world ( hard to show in photos ). Oranges on all colors has been out of this world. The bottled Reef Snow and aminos are currently my favorite. 
  • I have to many corals in the tank. Coral warfare is already happening!
  • SPS on top right rock are looking very good. The Walt Disney and purple tip nano. The purple tip should start to take off in the coming weeks as it laid down a strong base. 
  • Bubble algae is still bad and continuing to work on it. It is hard to complain when the rest of the tank looks great. 
  •  I am looking for a golden dwarf eel. I miss my old one! 
  • I would like to swap the Aquamai nano pump for a MP40 or 10. It works great but the flow is not there. I am leaning towards a MP40 simply because they work better than the 10 and make less noise. 

More to come!

-Dave

On 1/23/2018 at 6:04 PM, medinar83 said:

I seriously droll over your tank prob everyday, (not kidding) if you dont mind me asking, where did you pick up that scolly? Its amazing! 

A local FTS. In my opinion the find of the year here! 

• Like 3

Love/hate the way once chalice has decided to grow over the other.  My weedy purple cap does this as well.  If it loses a direct war the reaction is to go up and over.  Crazy corals.  :)

Everything looks stunning!  There's so much bubble algae it's hard to see it.   My 40 went through this and it still collects on the pumps but no more out in the open and I'm not sure why.  Tuxedo Urchin maybe?

23 hours ago, markalot said:

Love/hate the way once chalice has decided to grow over the other.  My weedy purple cap does this as well.  If it loses a direct war the reaction is to go up and over.  Crazy corals.  :)

Everything looks stunning!  There's so much bubble algae it's hard to see it.   My 40 went through this and it still collects on the pumps but no more out in the open and I'm not sure why.  Tuxedo Urchin maybe?

About the chalices I have no idea what to do other than let nature do its thing! 

Thanks for the compliments. On the back side of the tank you can see the algae however I am working on it. I want to try fluco again to see if that can help. The joys of tanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The tank is officially one year! Overall I have been very happy with taking the same approach as my old 35g. Allowing the tank to mature, keeping hands out and sticking to a regiment that works for my schedule. I would like to note that the tank has been running ZERO dedicated white spectrum!

I few changes I would like to do...

• Remove a few corals. 
  • Secure the top right rock ( this rock moves from time to time )
  • Eradicate the bubble algae - Fluco and manual removal is in the works. 
  • Adding a golden dwarf moray or blotched Anthias  
  • Removing the RW4 and Aquamai pumps for a Gyre 1K or MP40

For the time being here are a few stills. I hope you enjoy!

Current FTS :

NanoBoxOneYear-2

Setosa : Still one of my favorite corals. The growth has been exploding latley! 

NanoBoxOneYear-3

Favia :

NanoBoxOneYear-4

Favia Wars : 

NanoBoxOneYear-5

Monti from a member on here : This is located in two different places

NanoBoxOneYear-7NanoBoxOneYear-9

Mushroom - This one is splitting now! 

NanoBoxOneYear-8

Another stunner : JOL

NanoBoxOneYear-6

Sunset Monti - Another favorite of mine 

NanoBoxOneYear-11

Meteor Shower - You can almost watch it grow overnight. 

NanoBoxOneYear-10

Raptors Favia :

NanoBoxOneYear-12

Random SPS : Purple tips, white polyps 

NanoBoxOneYear-13

I do not think I have shown this side of the tank. It really shows off the size of the favias 

NanoBoxOneYear-15NanoBoxOneYear-14

I was worried about this chalice loosing the rim color. However when I flipped it around it showed its true colors! 

NanoBoxOneYear-17

Accident shot that turned out perfect!

NanoBoxOneYear-19

Thanks guys! 

-Dave

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Raindog3030

Looks awesome!  If you continue to have no luck with the bubble algae, I would consider researching H2O2 dosing.  After just a few days dosing 1mL per 10 gallons of 3% hydrogen peroxide, we have seen the destruction of the little bit of bubble algae that had started.  Even better, there does not seem to be any adverse effects on our residents!  Good luck and keep fighting the good fight!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DarkMagic said:

Mortal Kombat - Chalice Edition!

Haha! Yes. I need to separate the two. 

14 hours ago, Raindog3030 said:

Looks awesome!  If you continue to have no luck with the bubble algae, I would consider researching H2O2 dosing.  After just a few days dosing 1mL per 10 gallons of 3% hydrogen peroxide, we have seen the destruction of the little bit of bubble algae that had started.  Even better, there does not seem to be any adverse effects on our residents!  Good luck and keep fighting the good fight!

Thanks. That is something I will be trying as well. 

• Christopher Marks changed the title to NanoBox Growth: Documenting the NanoBox LED RedSea Reefer