SaltCritters.com

Hammer coral attacked by another hammer?

rsucre

I introduced a new small single head branching hammer coral to my reef tank.  Placed it next to my existing 1 year old 4 head hammer.  In a matter of 1-2 days, I noticed that my old hammer had its two heads that are facing the new hammer retracted and slimming.  Moved the new hammer to another place.  The new hammer looks healthy.

The old hammer has 2 heads affected and the other 2 heads (the ones that were not facing the new hammer) doing OK.  The affected heads are showing some brown slime (I hope it is not brown jelly) and I have seen some tissue and polyp detachment.

Any recommendations?

Params:

Tank is 1 year old with healthy coral and fish.

Salinity: 1.026

pH: 8.2

PO4: 0.02 ppm

NO3: 0.5 ppm

Alk: 8.9 dKH

Ca: ˜430

Temp: 80.6 F constantly for 1+ year

Other:  I have been vodka and vinegar dosing for about a year now.  First NOPOX, then Vodka + Vinegar for, and currently Vinegar-only.  I don't think this is related as all other corals are doing fine, including the other heads of this affected coral, but maybe worth mentioning.

Pics:

1. Zoom of affected head.

2. Affected hammer coral

3. New hammer coral

IMG_5488.JPG

IMG_5487.JPG

IMG_5486.JPG

To follow up on this issue:

The 2 heads of the old hammer that were affected are now gone.  Pieces of hammer tissue around my tank and bare bone in the hammer.  The 2 heads that were not affected are healthy and extended as usual.  This coincides with the placement of the new hammer close to the old hammer (only that side was affected).  The new hammer looks healthy too, so I want to assume that it was an attack and not a disease.

My concearn is that the affected heads had a "brown jelly".

Also, I always thought that the probabilities for two hammers to attack themselves was very low or none.  Now, these hammers look a little different, even the shape of the heads look a little different, so they may be a different genetic line (anchora, frambiata, etc.).

I think that in this hobby you always have losses, the important thing is trying to learn in order to minimize those losses in the future.  So I would like to try to understand what could have happened.  Definitely, 99% it is related to the placement of the new hammer besides the old hammer.  The thing is if it was a sting/warfare or contagious cause.

Sorry to hear that.  I think it just happens with Euphyllia corals.  I've had the same thing happen with frogspawn, candy canes, etc... Some heads will die and others will thrive.

If you do figure it out, let us know :)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, cju84 said:

Sorry to hear that.  I think it just happens with Euphyllia corals.  I've had the same thing happen with frogspawn, candy canes, etc... Some heads will die and others will thrive.

If you do figure it out, let us know :)

Thanks for your feedback.  It is a mystery because this hammer has been with me for more than a year now and it was healthy until I placed the new little hammer next to it.  24 hours and the 2 heads next to the new hammer retracted and started to slime with some brown slime (which makes me more afraid of brown jelly).  48 hours and they are gone.  The other half is OK and the new hammer is also OK.  So, no idea.