Coral Vue Hydros

Recycling Live Rock with High Ammonia Levels

myarmolich

myarmolich

Just curious, I'm about to set up a tank and have a bunch of live rock that has been sitting and cycling for about 5 months. Problem is I know this rock has a stupid amount of aptasia/bryopsis on it. 

On to the question, would adding a stupid amount of ammonia to this bucket kill everything besides the beneficial bacteria? One extremely big dose is how I would administer the ammonia and from what I understand, the Aptasia at the very least should die.

Please let me know what you would do thanks!

brandon429

its possible to kill the bacteria from the high dose of ammonia, it becomes antibacterial at certain levels and you'd have to spike it huge to make it that way, no small overage of ammonia will kill off set-in bacteria. Ammonia is not used to clear out those hitchhikers you mention, so your action w be an experiment to see what happens.  both those invaders have more standard kill chems and options, ammonia hasn't been used to kill off those items I can recall in any posts. harmless to try, even if you stress the bacteria those on the insides of the rock w still live and I bet it wont change the course much for the rock.