Top Shelf Aquatics

SPS Dominated Nano - eaReef 600S

Recci

Hi all,

Not been on this forum for a while but I have come a long way in my reefing journey. About 6 months ago I decided to start another nano tank after running a larger tank for that last two or three years. I also want to show what's possible in a small budget build. That with the right approach you can keep the higher end corals in the hobby in a relatively small cheap tank.

• The tank is an older eaReef 600S. It has a no weir just a drain pipe and return pipe. Dimensions are 600mm (L) x 500mm (W) x 450mm (H) and it holds about 167L so it's borderline nano. But I would not try to keep Acro's in anything smaller. I have wrapped the cabinet in black vinyl (it was white). Picked it up used without plumbing for cheap.
  • The lighting is an ATI 6x 24W T5 with 1 x 75w LED Hybrid power module. (these lights are probably the best lights ever made for sheer SPS growth).
  • Iquatics universal hanging bar
  • Return: 1500LPH AC return pump (unknown brand)
  • Flow: 2 x ecotech mp10
  • ATO: TMC V2 auto top-up
  • Skimmer: Bubble Magus curve 5
  • Heating: 300W Titanium heater with D-D Dual Heating & Cooling Controller.
  • Filtration: Standard 4inch filter sock holder and filter socks
  • Dosing: Jacod twin dosing pump
  • D-D Mesh jump Guard.
  • The scape is made from some old Aquaroche ceramic towers and lumps I have lying around. Held together with putty
  • Sand Ocean Direct live sand
  • 2kg of Aussie live rock to seed that tank.

Since this tank was  a budget build, I bought the tank and light unit second-hand. Most of the equipment I already had lying around. It still ended up costing a fair bit of money all in by the time I paid for the light, the hanging kit, the mesh top the sand and the plumbing, and so on.

I have used Ocean direct live sand and also got 2kg of real live rock. I have never started a tank with 100% dry and I never will. Doing so is just a world of problems waiting to happen so hopefully there is enough between the live sand and live rock to avoid a lot of the uglies.

This was the tank when I started it :

IMG_20210914_143211.jpg

And this is the tank now after only 6 months:

Screenshot (51).png

I have also made a youtube channel if your interested in following the progression of this tank:

• Like 2