inTank Media Baskets

Super old but still works

Minmay

So, recently got into SW and I love how people are able to get beautiful pics of their corals/fish. I dug up my super old camera. Canon Cybershot 2.1 model DSC-S50. I read that it really doesnt matter what brand/model you have for the camera. What matters is the lenses. So, is it true that my ancient camera is fine, I just need to buy lenses to take amazing pics?? 

7 hours ago, Minmay said:

So, recently got into SW and I love how people are able to get beautiful pics of their corals/fish. I dug up my super old camera. Canon Cybershot 2.1 model DSC-S50. I read that it really doesnt matter what brand/model you have for the camera. What matters is the lenses. So, is it true that my ancient camera is fine, I just need to buy lenses to take amazing pics?? 

I use my iPhone, no lenses needed. :)

There is a whole forum on here about photography. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I dont have iphone. I have note5 but it seems to capture more of the blue lighting color rather than the color of the corals.

• Like 1

I have been lazily shooting with my phone, S7 Edge, and as long as I am in manual I can compensate for the blue pretty well even in actinic heavy situations.

That being said, lenses do make a big difference, but so can the sensor. Not to say an old camera can't take beautiful photos, but a new camera of similar caliber can take better ones.

In this day and age, even cell phones take pretty awesome pictures.

20170612_114814.thumb.jpg.df6e1109acc54c3ebbafe3192ccbe7e9.jpg

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

I have been lazily shooting my phone, S7 Edge, and as long as I am in manual I can compensate for the blue pretty well even in acting heavy situations.

That being said, lenses do make a big difference, but so can the sensor. Not to say an old camera can't take beautiful photos, but a new camera of similar caliber can take better ones.

In this day and age, even cell phones take pretty awesome pictures.

20170612_114814.thumb.jpg.df6e1109acc54c3ebbafe3192ccbe7e9.jpg

Im gonna have to try and fool around with my cell photo options.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Minmay said:

Im gonna have to try and fool around with my cell photo options.  

There are lots of free photo apps out there too that can help take full advantage of your cell's camera if the software that comes standard with your operating system isn't up to snuff.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

There are lots of free photo apps out there too that can help take full advantage of your cell's camera if the software that comes standard with your operating system isn't up to snuff.

My phone does take nice pics. I downloaded Snapseed so i'll play around with that. Thank u

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Minmay said:

My phone does take nice pics. I downloaded Snapseed so i'll play around with that. Thank u

Post your photos here! Maybe we can give you some feedback and tips :)

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

Post your photos here! Maybe we can give you some feedback and tips :)

Thank u!! Here's a blasto I just did on the app. 

20170613_143125-01.jpeg

• Like 6

What kind of light do you have on the tank? I can tell the colors are off, but I assume that is because you're trying to get the coral to appear as it does in person, and you aren't worried about the background/rock etc. looking off. 

Sometimes adjusting your light fixture first (if you have LED for instance) is a great way to get better photos. Our aquarium lights, especially the blue/violet spectrum, really throws off the camera sensors.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

What kind of light do you have on the tank? I can tell the colors are off, but I assume that is because you're trying to get the coral to appear as it does in person, and you aren't worried about the background/rock etc. looking off. 

Sometimes adjusting your light fixture first (if you have LED for instance) is a great way to get better photos. Our aquarium lights, especially the blue/violet spectrum, really throws off the camera sensors.

I just bought Al Prime. Still fooling around with the light schedule but here's my current setting. 

Screenshot_20170531-102452.png

5 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Smartphones these days can take some great pictures for sure. But for reef macrophotography of corals, polyps and other critters there is nothing that beats a DSLR with a proper macro lens. :)

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Alexraptor said:

Smartphones these days can take some great pictures for sure. But for reef macrophotography of corals, polyps and other critters there is nothing that beats a DSLR with a proper macro lens. :)

Any suggestions on a budget friendly DSLR and the lenses that should be used?

24 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Any suggestions on a budget friendly DSLR and the lenses that should be used?

Any suggestions on a budget friendly supercar and racing slicks?

haha,
You will be in for over a grand, not sure what your budget is like.

When shooting photos of your tank, try pumping up the whites a bit for a fuller spectrum; it will help you get better photos that are truer to the actual color you are seeing. I am pretty sure Dave Fason has a pretty awesome thread on taking great tank photos by adjusting your lighting. I will try to find it.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

Any suggestions on a budget friendly supercar and racing slicks?

haha,
You will be in for over a grand, not sure what your budget is like.

When shooting photos of your tank, try pumping up the whites a bit for a fuller spectrum; it will help you get better photos that are truer to the actual color you are seeing. I am pretty sure Dave Fason has a pretty awesome thread on taking great tank photos by adjusting your lighting. I will try to find it.

Well, I can do like $300 for a new camera and $300 for lenses. Supercar?? I like Maserati not sure if thats a supercar but I like it lol and not sure what racing slicks are but it sounds expensive. Thank you for trying to look for the thread for me and thank you for your suggestions as well. I would love to try amd find a balance for lighting as far as growth/color goes. Not really concerned about how fast my corals grow since im more into trying to find a light schedule that would make my corals color really pop. 

1 hour ago, Minmay said:

Awesome!! I'll look into this camera thank u!

Hey will this be ok? I read with Nikon that no matter how old it is any nikon lens would fit. 

Screenshot_20170615-161124.png

2 hours ago, Minmay said:

Hey will this be ok? I read with Nikon that no matter how old it is any nikon lens would fit. 

Screenshot_20170615-161124.png

You will be able to take great photographs with it. However, keep in mind that this camera is over a decade old. It only has a 6 megapixel sensor which is a fairly low resolution. You can still take fantastic pictures with it, but it's something to keep in mind. As a first foray into photography I think it will do fine. Truth be told I'm a Canon fan boy, but my first DSLR was a Nikon D40.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

You will be able to take great photographs with it. However, keep in mind that this camera is over a decade old. It only has a 6 megapixel sensor which is a fairly low resolution. You can still take fantastic pictures with it, but it's something to keep in mind. As a first foray into photography I think it will do fine. Truth be told I'm a Canon fan boy, but my first DSLR was a Nikon D40.

Yeah I like Canon too but I dont really take pics much so im not trying to be a professional or nothing. I just want decent pics of my tank. Hell, I dont even know why I bought the camera that i have now. I think I liked the cybershot cuz of the video option and how the LCD turns lol. Its still in mint condition. 

3 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Yeah I like Canon too but I dont really take pics much so im not trying to be a professional or nothing. I just want decent pics of my tank. Hell, I dont even know why I bought the camera that i have now. I think I liked the cybershot cuz of the video option and how the LCD turns lol. Its still in mint condition. 

You might wanna mess around with your cellphone camera some more before you take the plunge.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

You might wanna mess around with your cellphone camera some more before you take the plunge.

Yeah I was thinking that too amd learn how to use the snapseed app lol. Thank u!

• Like 1