ReefCleaners.org

Putting Matrix to the test! Now that Marinepure is out!

blatzphemy

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I was comsidering adding seachem matrix to my 15g filtration but heard that it too leaches aluminum

First time I have read anything about matrix releasing aluminum, do you have any links to support the claim?

8c5b721be8668a8b1e23ea17c6145064.jpg

Got this test result today. My tank just completed the initial cycle which left it with 80ppm nitrates. 

Two 50% water changes and now 0 nitrates according to the API kit, if you can trust it. 

Before the first water change nitrates were at 80. After the first they were at 40. After the second you would think they should be 20, but they are zero. I wonder if the seachem matrix has anything to do with it? I put in 2 liters worth about 1 and a half weeks ago. 

On 6/18/2017 at 2:51 PM, William said:

From my reading of the tread, the Al seen on the triton test is likely AlSi dust and should* be inert ....

Not true, also my Marinepure breaks down overtime. I have it in the sump with no flow around it.

On 6/20/2017 at 1:06 AM, Clown79 said:

I was comsidering adding seachem matrix to my 15g filtration but heard that it too leaches aluminum

There are no claims I know of that state it leaches AL. I believe youre thinking of Marinepure. Matrix is a natural stone.

On 6/20/2017 at 7:55 AM, Travis said:

First time I have read anything about matrix releasing aluminum, do you have any links to support the claim?

Where are you reading this? This post states Marinepure leaches AL.

So after adding the Pond Matrix to my refugium I have lowered my vodka dose by about 25%. 15ML after being up to 20ML. I will continue to lower the amount of Vodka I use until I start seeing something on the test results. Currently my test results are at 0-0-(~1) I have the slightest tint of pink on my Nitrates (Red Sea). I believe the matrix will continue to get stronger bacteria wise overtime. I have my vodka hooked up to a dosing unit the bolus doses twice a day. I still strongly believe in this method of carbon dosing however, there are some negative effects and if I can lower the amount dosed by having bio media I'd prefer it. 

I have lowered the photo period on my refugium because growth has slowed. I also hope to better balance my PH by running it on an opposite schedule.

Overall, my polyp extension is great and the tank appears to be healthy and thriving. Most of my coral has been in there less than two weeks so I cannot comment on growth yet.

bF17lgj.jpg
qbHBq0u.jpg
Rue91YK.jpg
AbjynjH.jpg

I've noticed even the ammonia doesnt have the slightest hint of yellow like when I test my RODI water. With my huge bioload this is very impressive results.

Here's a fuge shot.
0PUw0ab.jpg

I carved a skull out of live rock. I hope to drop a peacock mantis in there at some point and let him take residence under it 
16 minutes ago, blatzphemy said:

Not true, also my Marinepure breaks down overtime. I have it in the sump with no flow around it.

There are no claims I know of that state it leaches AL. I believe youre thinking of Marinepure. Matrix is a natural stone.

Where are you reading this? This post states Marinepure leaches AL.

So after adding the Pond Matrix to my refugium I have lowered my vodka dose by about 25%. 15ML after being up to 20ML. I will continue to lower the amount of Vodka I use until I start seeing something on the test results. Currently my test results are at 0-0-(~1) I have the slightest tint of pink on my Nitrates (Red Sea). I believe the matrix will continue to get stronger bacteria wise overtime. I have my vodka hooked up to a dosing unit the bolus doses twice a day. I still strongly believe in this method of carbon dosing however, there are some negative effects and if I can lower the amount dosed by having bio media I'd prefer it. 

I have lowered the photo period on my refugium because growth has slowed. I also hope to better balance my PH by running it on an opposite schedule.

Overall, my polyp extension is great and the tank appears to be healthy and thriving. Most of my coral has been in there less than two weeks so I cannot comment on growth yet.

bF17lgj.jpg
qbHBq0u.jpg
Rue91YK.jpg
AbjynjH.jpg

I've noticed even the ammonia doesnt have the slightest hint of yellow like when I test my RODI water. With my huge bioload this is very impressive results.

Here's a fuge shot.
0PUw0ab.jpg

I carved a skull out of live rock. I hope to drop a peacock mantis in there at some point and let him take residence under it 

Clown79 said that Matrix leached aluminum.  My post was in response to his.

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

Clown79 said that Matrix leached aluminum too.

Capture.PNG

Please don't read this as the wrong connotation. Based on what? I challenge anyone to show me any test results that verify this. I believe he has Matrix and Marinepure misconstrued. I have submitted test results from a trusted source (BRS) to show it was Marinepure. There's also a huge thread filled with peoples personal evidence of it doing the same. I cannot link it here but a google search will yield results if you would like to delve into this further.

1 minute ago, blatzphemy said:

Please don't read this as the wrong connotation. Based on what? I challenge anyone to show me any test results that verify this. I believe he has Matrix and Marinepure misconstrued. I have submitted test results from a trusted source (BRS) to show it was Marinepure. There's also a huge thread filled with peoples personal evidence of it doing the same. I cannot link it here but a google search will yield results if you would like to delve into this further.

You are misunderstanding me, twice.  LOL!! I am questioning Clown79, as you did as well.  I am using SeaChem Matrix with good results, see my post:

I am not trying to say that matrix leaches AL because I don't believe that it does! :lol:

• Like 1

What are your PO4 levels?  PO4 will become a limiting factor for NO3 reduction.  If there is no PO4 for the bacteria to consume, they will not be able to lower NO3 at all.

I experienced this when trying to ONLY carbon dose a tank that at first had high PO4 and high NO3.  Once PO4 hit 0, NO3 would not get any lower, no matter how much carbon source (NOPOX in my case) I dosed.

I stopped carbon dosing all together after 6 months or so.  By that time the anaerobic bacteria populations in the live rock built up enough that NO3 never got over 2 ppm, and mostly stayed at 0.

To quote someone else from another forum:

Matrix supports both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, including heterotrophs. These obtain energy by "feeding" on organics and polymers, and in the process use up other dissolved nutrients, such as nitrate and phosphate. Very similar to how Biopellets work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Travis said:

What are your PO4 levels?  PO4 will become a limiting factor for NO3 reduction.  If there is no PO4 for the bacteria to consume, they will not be able to lower NO3 at all.

I experienced this when trying to ONLY carbon dose a tank that at first had high PO4 and high NO3.  Once PO4 hit 0, NO3 would not get any lower, no matter how much carbon source (NOPOX in my case) I dosed.

I stopped carbon dosing all together after 6 months or so.  By that time the anaerobic bacteria populations in the live rock built up enough that NO3 never got over 2 ppm, and mostly stayed at 0.

To quote someone else from another forum:

My PO3 has been at zero without using GFO. I have a refugium, cryptic zones with lots of sponge already (KZ Spongepower to thank). I have read a lot about people needing to use GFO to keep the PO4 down while carbon dosing. I guess I can attribute mine being so low because of a large fuge and so much bio media. I'll keep you guys updated. I plan on lowering my carbon dose more and more. Right now I'm at a lower dose than the average .04 to .07 ML per gallon.