Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chemipure Blue stripping water????

docshipwreck

docshipwreck

So I have a 20L with an oceanbox insert. My total volume is around 17 gallons. I was running purigen and a small media bag of carbon. That was exhausted and I grabbed some chemipure blue. I had used this previously ( **NOT with current coral bioload). Ive noticed my snow dragon favites coral is fading from a solid red color to more of a rust color, the blue never ever really came in. 

the 5.5 ounce CPB is rated for 35 gallons so I am thinking I stripped too much too quick? All my other corals seem to be colored ok and acting typical. 

I've been researching here and elsewhere for about the last hour and reading varying results. The most general consensus is most likely over filtering what my tank may have been used to...

Comments from the reefkeeping peanut gallery as always are welcome and appreciated!!

John 

You need to use the nano version of chemipure for 17g. The 35g packet is too much, per other users and the company themselves. It can strip a smaller tank.

I use just carbon, purigen, and a tiny bit of phosguard.

• Like 2
docshipwreck
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You need to use the nano version of chemipure for 17g. The 35g packet is too much, per other users and the company themselves. It can strip a smaller tank.

I use just carbon, purigen, and a tiny bit of phosguard.

Thanks @Clown79 I pulled it last night after work and switched my floss and noticed a difference this morning only about 10 hours later. Now the great debate what exactly I need and how much if anything.....

Personally, i find the product too expensive for what it is and what it does. It certainly doesn't last 4 mnths.

I used it for a yr,  there was no difference/improvement.

I went back to seachem matrix carbon, floss, purigen, and  phosguard.

I recommend phosguard in small quantities if you have phos/algae issues. Otherwise its not necessary.

I like buying the products in the bulk containers, i like controlling how much of it i use rather than having it prebagged which gives me no control.

You simply can just use carbon and floss. Use smaller qty of carbon and change every 3 weeks.

• Like 3
docshipwreck
12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Personally, i find the product too expensive for what it is and what it does. It certainly doesn't last 4 mnths.

I used it for a yr,  there was no difference/improvement.

I went back to seachem matrix carbon, floss, purigen, and  phosguard.

I recommend phosguard in small quantities if you have phos/algae issues. Otherwise its not necessary.

I like buying the products in the bulk containers, i like controlling how much of it i use rather than having it prebagged which gives me no control.

You simply can just use carbon and floss. Use smaller qty of carbon and change every 3 weeks.

Any references out there for dosing for anything other then carbon? I think I was running 1/3 cup for my 17 gallons.