Cultivated Reef

Attaching Holdfasts

Nixperience

Nixperience

I'm getting some new macros this week. Codium, red grape, dragons breath. Can I just superglue the holdfast to a plug or rock or is this a "no no" for macros? I know the holdfast doesn't absorb nutrients and is just a growth to hold the algae down, so I thought glue might be OK. Suggestions please. 

8 hours ago, Nixperience said:

I'm getting some new macros this week. Codium, red grape, dragons breath. Can I just superglue the holdfast to a plug or rock or is this a "no no" for macros? I know the holdfast doesn't absorb nutrients and is just a growth to hold the algae down, so I thought glue might be OK. Suggestions please. 

I just did the same thing. @Weetabix7glues macros all the time and gave me the same advice.  You could always go with fishing line as well. Then cut the line away after the macro attaches itself.

6 minutes ago, cvest100 said:

I just did the same thing. @Weetabix7glues macros all the time and gave me the same advice.  You could always go with fishing line as well. Then cut the line away after the macro attaches itself.

I've been using fishing line exclusively lately. 

Codium and red grape should be ok being superglued. 

With Dragon's breath I would personally be inclined to use fishing line, tho I've never tried supergluing that one. 

Agree with Weet on both counts. Superglue isn't going to work on dragon's breath and it very rarely attaches so I generally use some lightly tied fishing line or a zip tie to hold it in place. 

Archived