Pod Your Reef

Two lighting options. Approve/Disapprove?

KJoFan

Right now I'm running 2x AI Prime (one HD, one non-HD) on an IM Fusion 40 mixed reef, hoping to be able to get acros to thrive as well.

I'm also looking at picking up an IM Fusion Lagoon 25 with a Nanobox Duo Plus as a frag tank.

But!  I'm toying with the idea of putting the Nanobox on the Fusion 40, selling the non-HD Prime and maintaining the frag tank with the remaining AI Prime.

So...would the Nanobox be sufficient for the Fusion 40 with acros?  And would just one Prime work on the Lagoon 25?

Ai Hd does 24x24 so if the lagoon is longer than 24" neither Ai will be the best option.

I have an ai on a 24" long tank and its great but I wouldn't use it on a longer tank.

I know nanobox is great, i'm not sure of the specs it covers

MainelyReefer

Sounds good but why sell the non HD why not bump up the light in the 40 even more unless it looks cluttered with multiple lights on goosenecks

10 hours ago, KJoFan said:

Right now I'm running 2x AI Prime (one HD, one non-HD) on an IM Fusion 40 mixed reef, hoping to be able to get acros to thrive as well.

I'm also looking at picking up an IM Fusion Lagoon 25 with a Nanobox Duo Plus as a frag tank.

But!  I'm toying with the idea of putting the Nanobox on the Fusion 40, selling the non-HD Prime and maintaining the frag tank with the remaining AI Prime.

So...would the Nanobox be sufficient for the Fusion 40 with acros?  And would just one Prime work on the Lagoon 25?

For the larger Fusion I would go with more light. I have a flawed Wide Quad that would work great over this. 

The issue with either light ( Duo or AI HD ) is if you are going mostly acros you will still have shadowing. The Wide Quad will get rid of this. 

Hope this helps!

Would I be better off leaving the two Primes on the 40 and the Duo on the 25 then? Assuming I'm not purchasing more fixtures at this point?

Also, would seem if a lighting change were to happen I'd almost be better off with the Primes on the 25 and perhaps the wide quad on the 40?

Holy moly that flawed quad is tempting!

Current state of the IM 40. The look with multiple lights is fine. Rockscape isn't final. 

But how how much better would a quad look over this??

IMG_1541.JPG

Ok, what I really want to know at this point is...stick with the 2x AI Primes or is the Nanobox Wide Quad really the superior way to go for the IM  Fusion 40?

I think the wide Quad would be better over the 25 as you plan to go SPS and need as much light as you can kick out. The 2X Prime are just fine for a mixed reef as some will not need as much light

2 hours ago, Boggers said:

I think the wide Quad would be better over the 25 as you plan to go SPS and need as much light as you can kick out. The 2X Prime are just fine for a mixed reef as some will not need as much light

The 25 isn't going to happen.  Was considering it for a frag tank of whatever needed to be fragged, but holding off at this time.

The IM 40 is real and running and the tank planned to be mixed, but including sps.

2x Prime still fine??

@DaveFason  a few questions:

1. would the Duo+ be sufficient for the Lagoon 25 for just soft/lps frags on racks or the Fusion 40 w/out sps?

2. would the wide quad be ideal for the Fusion 40 mixed w/sps?

3. would the wide quad be enough for an sps dominant 66g (32x24x20)?

3 hours ago, KJoFan said:

@DaveFason  a few questions:

1. would the Duo+ be sufficient for the Lagoon 25 for just soft/lps frags on racks or the Fusion 40 w/out sps?

2. would the wide quad be ideal for the Fusion 40 mixed w/sps?

3. would the wide quad be enough for an sps dominant 66g (32x24x20)?

1. Lagoon for sure, 40 without SPS unless centered. 
  2. Yes
  3. Pushing it. 32" is pretty wide for any 12" light. 
  • Like 1

Someone convince me I don't need the Nanobox Wide Quad, that my 2x AI Primes are where it's at.  I really want to swap out for the wide quad but is it a senseless purchase when I already have the Primes?

7 hours ago, KJoFan said:

Someone convince me I don't need the Nanobox Wide Quad, that my 2x AI Primes are where it's at.  I really want to swap out for the wide quad but is it a senseless purchase when I already have the Primes?

Your current setup is working for what you have. If you want more SPS and more light the Wide Quad will do that. Totally up to you!

• Like 1