Pod Your Reef

Burmeseman's budget 8 gallon nano reef ( ADA -45P knockoff )

soeminpaing

soeminpaing

I was inspired by Totm winners on nano reef forum and that drive my desire to set up a nano tank. On the other hand, I dont want to spend a ton of money. So I decide to go cheap by doing some diy. I bought an ADA knockoff tank made by Yiding, a chinese manufacturer rumored to be OEM of ADA tanks in the past. The tank dimension is 45cmx 30cmx27cm which approximately hold 34 liter of water. 

IMG_0221.JPG

Here is the current tank info. I will keep on editing this as the tank develop.

Tank – Yi Ding curve glass ( 45x27x30 ) cm  around 8.5 gallons ( Net volume – 7 gallons) with DIY compartments and loc -line return nozzle.

Return Pump – SOBO 600L/hr

Light – DIY LED ( Cree XTE 12000k x 6,  Cree XTE 450 nm x 4 ) driven at 650ma & (Philips Rebel 470nm x 6, Cree XPE 450nm x 5 ) driven at 300ma

Skimmer – Bubble Magus NAC QQ

Wavemaker – Jebao RW-4

Refractometer – BRS refractometer 

TDS Meter – HM TDS-3 TDS meter

Salt – Marinium Reef Sea salt

Salinity – 1.025 @ 28 C

Temperature – 27-28 C

Top off - manual 300ml daily

Soft Corals

Pulsing Xenia

Zoas ( Zoanthus sp )

Toadstool Coral ( Sarcophyton )

Discosoma Mushroom

Rhodactis Mushroom

Green Star Polys ( Pachyclavularia sp. )

LPS

Brain Coral ( Lobophyllia )

Button Coral ( Cynarina )

Torch Coral ( Euphilia Glabrescens)

Flowerpot Coral ( Goniopora sp. )

SPS

Forest Fire Digi ( Montipora Digitata )

Pink Birdnest ( Seriatopora Hystix)

Radioactive green Birdnest ( Seriatopora sp. )

Cauliflower ( Pocillopora Damicornis )

Fish & Invertebrates

Bangaii Cardinal x1

Tailspot Blenny x1

Trochus Snail x2

Full tank shot ( 6 Dec 2017)

IMG_3577.JPG

• Like 1
soeminpaing

I decide to make an internal compartment that can hold skimmer or media rack and a return pump. I use 6mm white acrylic sheet and cut the pieces using cnc router from a signboard shop. I used acrylic cement to bond the front plate and baffles. And then glue to the glass using silicone.

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

The finished tank, I use 1/2 inches loc line nozzle and 600l/hr pump for the return

IMG_0278.JPG

• Like 3
soeminpaing

Testing for leak and everything held up nicely. The skimmer is a bubble magus nac qq rated for 100L tank and fit snugly in the first chamber.

IMG_0291.JPG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
soeminpaing

It is time to start the rockscape. I use D-D aquascape epoxy and superglue gel for bonding the rock together. Rocks are some tonga mixed with the rocks I collect on the beach.

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

• Like 2
soeminpaing

Unsatisfied with both the color and spectrum provided by my 50/50 white:blue 12W par38 led, I decided to build a DIY led using 50W CreeXTE 4blue, 6 white coupled with 6 cree XPE royal blue and 5 philips blue 470nm. I also add 5730 warm white led strip. Running these leds at 30% of their power made the fixture runs really cool. I used old cpu heatsink and aluminium square tube for heatsink. 

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

• Like 1
soeminpaing
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Nice start!  I'm a little jealous of your DIY skills! :lol: Rockwork is cool.  What do you plan to put in it?

Thanks, I decide to try sps. I have never kept such a small tank before and keeping sps in it is going to be an epic adventure for me

• Like 2
soeminpaing

I got a stainless steel stand for the tank and add some tube to hang the light. Cost me round 30$. 

IMG_0461.JPG

That's how the tank look with the stand and lighting.

IMG_0468.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
soeminpaing
12 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

Cool build.  What par bulb?

If you are referring to the par38 bulb that I have tested on before switching to DIY LED, it is a 6 blue, 6 white  12 watts cheap bulb from ebay. I suspect the blue is more like 460-470 range instead of 450 royal blue and the color seems washed out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
soeminpaing

Got myself an illumagic x-mini. It is quite good but I am satisifed with my current DIY Led, so for now I am saving it for future project.

IMG_1100.JPG

That's how Bubble magus nac qq skimmer perform on such a small tank. Very easy to tune and really consistent in producing skimmate.

IMG_1245.JPG

• Like 3
On 7/19/2017 at 5:54 AM, soeminpaing said:

Just diy a magnetic single frag holder for future corals.

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

Neat frag ring, but is the metal coated?  Don't want it to rust or otherwise leach metals into your tank!

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 9:01 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Neat frag ring, but is the metal coated?  Don't want it to rust or otherwise leach metals into your tank!

Magnet is encased in the acrylic.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The clowns are back to their owner and I am left with just a bangaii cardinal. So a new resident was offered to take the place of the clowns. Corals are growing and thriving. I think the skimmer play a great role in keeping the water clean since I usually change water once a month. 

IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

• Like 3