ReefCleaners.org

Is Chaeto worth it in a small nano tank?

salmonfishy

salmonfishy

Is chaeto worth it for a 6 gallon nano tank(without skimmer)?  will it help decrease nutrients level or no?

Weetabix7

Yes, chaeto will decrease nutrients in a small nano. 

Or you can do what I do and keep display Macroalgae that look nice, that way I have something that both looks attractive & decreases nutrients, win/win!!

However, if you keep chaeto in a HOB refugium on a reverse light cycle, you also have something that will help stabilize tank Ph, which is nice. 

I never saw any benefit when i used small amounts.

Putting it directly in the tank is also annoying as it breaks apart and goes everywhere.

If putting it in the tank and not refugium, I'd go with another macroalgae.

ry05coupe

It is currently keeping my n+p at zero, going on about a month now solely with the fuge in my Fusion 20 w/ 4 fish. I removed my Tunze skimmer because the chaeto was starving. I also do aggressive water changes and don't overfeed, but the chaeto seems to help in my situation. 

SaltyBuddha
9 hours ago, ry05coupe said:

It is currently keeping my n+p at zero, going on about a month now solely with the fuge in my Fusion 20 w/ 4 fish. I removed my Tunze skimmer because the chaeto was starving. I also do aggressive water changes and don't overfeed, but the chaeto seems to help in my situation. 

What kind of light are you using? I had a cheap one from Amazon and I wasn't seeing any growth so I ordered a JBJ glonano. I could go find your thread buuuuuut I'm lazy 

ry05coupe
1 hour ago, SaltyBuddha said:

What kind of light are you using? I had a cheap one from Amazon and I wasn't seeing any growth so I ordered a JBJ glonano. I could go find your thread buuuuuut I'm lazy 

I am also using a JBJ nano glo. It has been great so far and fits perfectly for the Fusion 20g. 

SaltyBuddha

Good to know. I just put it on my IM10. The light is waaaaay more yellow than my other "5500k" light. I'm thinking I'll get way better growth

I hooked a nano glo to the back of my biocube and the chaeto started turning white.  How long do y'all have the light on for, daily?

ry05coupe

I keep mine on an opposite schedule from the tank lights. Tank lights go off, fuge light turns on and so on. 

salmonfishy
14 hours ago, E.Y. said:

I hooked a nano glo to the back of my biocube and the chaeto started turning white.  How long do y'all have the light on for, daily?

opposite from the display tank light schedule is doing good for me

Archived