Innovative Marine Aquariums

ID frag help please!

Raheeeelio

I have a 28 gallon JBJ nano cube. The guys at my LFS gave me this frag plug yesterday for free and I can't figure out what it is!! I want to make it grow and live, but I need to first figure out what it is. I asked the guy at my LFS and all he said was "it's just a soft polyp". So any ideas will help! I'm fairly new to reef tanks (it's been a couple years at least since my last one), so forgive me if it's something basic or easy! Also, some ideas on where to place it? It's currently sitting in my sand bed next to rock. Does it need more lighting? Also, is it supposed to have its stem up like that? Is it trying to raise itself to get more light? Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your help!

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

19 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Looks like palythoa polyps

Thank you. That's what I was thinking too. How fast do they grow? And any tips on growing them?

They are like weeds. They can take over. I wouldn't put them on a main rock.

Please read on paly's, there is a toxin palythoa toxin and they need to be handled with care. 

14 hours ago, Clown79 said:

They are like weeds. They can take over. I wouldn't put them on a main rock.

Please read on paly's, there is a toxin palythoa toxin and they need to be handled with care. 

Will they grow if the frag plug is covered in the sand bed? Or does it need to be exposed a little? It is near my front main rock. And I have heard about the toxin. The guy at my LFS even told me about how he ate after handling them and ended up getting sick.

Simulated Fish
1 hour ago, Raheeeelio said:

Will they grow if the frag plug is covered in the sand bed? Or does it need to be exposed a little? It is near my front main rock. And I have heard about the toxin. The guy at my LFS even told me about how he ate after handling them and ended up getting sick.

.... Why would he not wash his hands?! 

It will grow into a colony on its own, believe me, you won't need to do anything.

Most ppl try to get rid of them and can't

Archived