Pod Your Reef

Sarah's aquarium journal. 🐠

smac0806

Hi all! So I finally have my first nano reef up and running (3/18/17) and ecstatic! 

Specs: Fluval Evo 13.5 gal AIO, 16W/1383 lumens/14k LED, 500GPH pump, fluval heater, carbon filter and biomax media (protein skimmer being added shortly), Eheim auto feeder, 8lb man made live rock, 1.5" live sand

Occupants:

2 captive bred black and white Ocellaris (Lilly and James)

1 captive bred Rainford goby (Doug)

1 Emerald crab (Kevin)

4 Cerith snails (Hughey, Dewy, Louie, and Chewy)

2 toadstools/leather corals

Various zoanthids

1 pulsing xenia (all aquacultured)

A little background, I had a 150gal reef tank for about 7 years. It was my first salt tank and I loved every bit of keeping it. Eventually after a crash from old tank syndrome and divorce, the tank is no more. I have been unable to start a new one of similar size (space and time) so decided on the nano reef. 

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

• Like 5

Question about the zoas, do they look like they're starting to bleach or is that how they're supposed to look? I know there are so many different types. 

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

2 minutes ago, HIppieRose said:

I love pulsing zenia.  Just can't find any that I can afford.  

Your tank looks great.

Thanks! Me too! It's so fun to watch. 

Nice start! 

Looking at the toadstool which is very pale, it is possible that the light is too intense. You could try turning it down for a week or so to see if the colors improve. Another option is to try feeding the coral.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Nice start! 

Looking at the toadstool which is very pale, it is possible that the light is too intense. You could try turning it down for a week or so to see if the colors improve. Another option is to try feeding the coral.

Thanks! It's been like that since I got it so I just thought that was the color. I think I'm going to move the zoas down to the bottom with it. See how it goes. I appreciate the help!

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

I was going to comment on those two white leathers. I love them! If they are naturally white like that, I'm definitely going to have to get a few for myself. Seems like they would bring a colorful tank to another level with that pure white.

My tank is just about cycles as well so I'm looking forward to seeing yours develop too

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I was going to comment on those two white leathers. I love them! If they are naturally white like that, I'm definitely going to have to get a few for myself. Seems like they would bring a colorful tank to another level with that pure white.

My tank is just about cycles as well so I'm looking forward to seeing yours develop too

Thanks! That's the color they've been since day one in the tank. I moved the darker one down to the bottom just because where I had it there was too much flow. Color hasn't changed on that one at all. Just moved the whiter one down to the bottom this evening with the zoas. The zoas definitely look paler than when I first got them so prolly too much light. The light is pretty intense. I was surprised at the advancement in LED lighting since I last had a tank set up. We'll see how it goes. I'll take some comparison pictures in hmmm about a week maybe two to see if the move helped with color. I was a little sad to move the toadstool though because it was already growing off the rubble onto the live rock. Oh well. Hopefully it will be happy on the bottom.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Holy cowfish! It's been forever since I posted a pic! After moving my to toadstool corals down to the bottom, I've waited for about a month to see if I saw any change in their color. The only color change was brown and green...algae. They both shrunk in size, barely opened up, and after a week away and coming home to disastrous water conditions ("someone" bumped the adjuster for the autofeeder when topping off the tank....which logistically is impossible....so they were being fed about a WEEKS worth of food for who knows how long, water was terribly cloudy when I returned home. I immediately prepared to do a water change and tested the water. Surprisingly the parameters were completely fine so it must have been only a day or two that this happened) I thought they were on their way to death.

I decided to move them back up on the rock. Well lookie there!!!! Happy toadstool!! It's opened waaaay up doubled in size and remains the same pinky beige it's been since the beginning. So, I no longer believe theyre bleached or bleaching I just got a lucky pair or pinky beige toadstools. :) 

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

• Like 4

Also, the pulsing Xenia is still a lovely lavender color and has grown quite a bit. I though I was going to be the first to actually kill Xenia for a few days. It was shrunken and curled up and I felt it started thinning out. Well it sort of was. I think it was really spreading out to grow bigger. ;) IMG_1387.thumb.JPG.beb4245e42abb9287b59009efaaf80f8.JPG

Last but not least, here's a silly tube worm that has found residence on a cerith shell and some cerith eggs in the background. There are three different spots on the glass. I think I'm going to leave them there and see if they hatch. 

• Like 1
On 4/19/2017 at 6:27 PM, smac0806 said:

Thanks! It's been like that since I got it so I just thought that was the color. I think I'm going to move the zoas down to the bottom with it. See how it goes. I appreciate the help!

Looks like the natural color to me.  Lawnman has a GORGEOUS giant white toadstool like that.  I'm so glad you didn't lose it, moving it to lower light.  I would love to find one for my tank!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

No recent pics but a definite learning point to make. A little back story: Over the winter (I live in Michigan) before I set up the tank we had a bad storm come through and were without power for 8 days. No biggie. But the whole time I was thinking man it's a good thing I didn't have the tank set up yet. The fish would have froze! Fast forward to last week. I had JUST woken up at my aunt's home in Washington D.C. after driving the 9 hours there the night before and looked at my phone...."Storm last night. No power." At first I was like ok. As long as it's back on within the day the fish will be fine. Then I remembered, oh no, they won't! The tank is in the basement! It's cooooold down there!!! So after some minor/major freaking out (on my part because my bf knows nothing about the fish tank nor cares to learn because this is "my hobby") I was able to get him to pick up a car battery and power inverter and got the pump and heater back on. Praise Posiedon I only have hardy stuff in the tank right now!! Not a single creature lost it's life. And the temp dropped from the normal 77.6ish°F to 70°F! Needless to say, back up power is a necessary item on the setup list. I wish I hadn't put it off until there was an actual problem. Things could have ended up much worse.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Also, the pulsing Xenia is still a lovely lavender color and has grown quite a bit. I though I was going to be the first to actually kill Xenia for a few days. It was shrunken and curled up and I felt it started thinning out. Well it sort of was. I think it was really spreading out to grow bigger. ;) IMG_1387.thumb.JPG.beb4245e42abb9287b59009efaaf80f8.JPG

Last but not least, here's a silly tube worm that has found residence on a cerith shell and some cerith eggs in the background. There are three different spots on the glass. I think I'm going to leave them there and see if they hatch. 

• Like 1

@Lugmos12 the Xenia are above for you. :) Not the best lighting in that photo but that are such a pretty lavender color! I'll work on getting a better shot.

So I stirred up the gravel before I vacuumed and changed the water today. There was some weird wormy creatures. Can anyone help me identify? The red one was a longer worm but it curled up on itself and then there were long thin ones. Should I be worried about these? Are these normal? I recently added some nassarius snails....could the small black worms be a parasite from them?

IMG_2550.PNG

IMG_2551.PNG

Love those toadstools! I have a pinky one to that has a slight green sheen on the cap of it (usually can't see that though). No idea about the worms... :unsure:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Xenia is growing like the weed I’ve been told it is. I keep thinking I need to cut it back but I kind of like it like it is. Also...I don’t have the slightest clue how to frag it and I don’t want to just throw it away! The LFS said I have to frag and prepare it myself then bring it in and I can have store credit for it. ? Can’t you just come to my house and take it for free?!

47 minutes ago, smac0806 said:

Whoops posted pics twice...how do I delete a post?

how long did it take to grow that much?

hit ‘Edit’ at the bottom of the post and you can remove the pictures. 

On 11/2/2017 at 10:09 AM, Lugmos12 said:

how long did it take to grow that much?

hit ‘Edit’ at the bottom of the post and you can remove the pictures. 

Thank you! Fixed it. ?

It’s been 7 1/2 months

• Like 1