Top Shelf Aquatics

HELP, Cleaner shrimp - Tumor growth on body

Regan

Hi everyone,  I am busy acclimating my cleaner shrimp and I noticed a growth in him. Is this a parasite?  Must I not introduce him back not my tank. ?  Thanks 

IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_6989.JPG

Sorry I meant introduce him into the tank? He is still in the packet.  Thanks 

Edited by Regan
Topic reads better

Do you have any other shrimps in your tank? If not, it's likely OK to put it in. If it's a tumor it won't spread. If it's an infection it is unlikely to spread to entirely different species.

Btw it looks a little grainly in the growth. Could that be an egg sac? They usually carry their eggs between their legs though.

Hi dandelion thanks for the reply ?  I have no other shrimp. Just 2 clowns in my tank.  

So you think it's ok to add to the tank ?  I'm thinking maybe floating him till the morning ( as it's 8:00 pm at night.  ) Then taking him back to the Marine Aquatic shop tomorrow to get another Shrimp ? 

About it being an egg sac, I have no idea if it is ?  There were like 20 other shrimp in the tank that I got him. Maybe they were breeding ?  I dunno ? 

My cleaner shrimp carried eggs every time after she molted, but I've never seen it on the side of the abdomen. I would exchange it if I were you.

Do you have any in-tank breeder box that you can leave the shrimp in? They sell some net breeder box for real cheap at petco/walmart too if there is one nearby. With those you can "change" water easily by lifting the box up halfway, let water drain, then lower it back for tank water to move back in. If you leave it in the bag floating, you may want to put an air stone in it with some prime, and probably replace the water a few times throughout the day to eliminate any ammonia build-up. A shrimp shouldn't need much oxygen or release much ammonia, but just play it on the safe side.

It's not a very good picture but I would suspect a parasite. If it were a tumor it would shed when it molts... imo.idont think you want it in your tank. Do you have a quarantine tank? 

Thanks Dandelion and Jambon for the reply ??

Yes i I agree Dandelion and Jambon it is strange that it is on the side of the body.  I definitely feel safer exchanging the shrimp.

I don't have a quarantine tank so I am going to put a lot of air in the big bag and leave it floating in my tank overnight and head off to aquatic store in the morning. 

The shrimp looks fine in there at the moment it's the only option I have ?

Thanks again for for all the help. ??

Be careful and make sure you change out the water in the bag. Once you oxygenate it its pH will rise. Any ammonium in the water will be reduced to free ammonia and kill your shrimp.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
WV Reefer
3 hours ago, wii64brawl said:

Most likely a parasitic isopod.

Agree with this..... usually with isopods you can see little eye balls at daytime and shining at night.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

the article above was extremely helpful. It is a Bopyrid Isopod and I followed the instructions to pluck it out from under the gill plate with a tweezers. Worked like a charm. The Shrimp seems to be doing well and is now back in quarantine. Sounds like re-infection is unlikely as the eggs from the isopod need a Calytid (Sp?) Copepod for the next stage which is uncommon in home aquariums.  I'll try to give an update several weeks or maybe months from now if I remember.

It's November 28, 2019 now as I edit this post and the shrimp is doing awesome. No signs of reinfection and he/she has molted several times with the deformed shell pretty much back to normal

Edited by White Raven
spelling error/ update
  • Thanks 1