SaltCritters.com

Ich and QT advice

Slayer33

4 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I very badly want a blonde naso in my imaginaty big tank, but tangs are so susceptible to ich.  I have no idea how I would prevent a tang from getting it.  clearly, I have yet to be successful and I can't stand losing fish.  

It blows.  I wish corals and inverts could withstand hypo salinity.   That would be the easiest way (of the ways we know) to handle ich for sure....

Buy corals from a fish less system. 

Don't reuse water in bag.

Dip all coral before entering DT.

Never had a problem with ich outbreak since in my DT.  

Buying corals from fishless system is easier said than done. You never know if the supposedly fishless system hosted a fish the day before you went into the store. Not to mention wet hands can potentially introduce ich to a new system as well.

I dip my corals with bayer and peroxide before going into my tank too. Not sure if that kills ich.

I swear dips do nothing for ich nor flatworms. I know flatworms react to freshwater dips but not to coral dips.

Good point as well on the hand washing. We can transfer ich.

Any cleaning utensils as well can do it and you'd have to ensure that a store uses seperate items per tank and that each tank isn't on a shared system.

Snails as well, you'd have to ensure snails aren't in the tank.

There are too many variables with ich

Ich can also present itself during stressful times when a fishes immune system is down- blue hippo tangs are known for that.

Archived