inTank Media Baskets

Where am I going wrong?

Odyssey350kc

I have not been having a good time lately. Many of the corals are dying off and i cant figure out why. I have been trying to get my tank back on track but I have not had any success. 

So I took some readings on my tank today - It has been almost 3 weeks since my last water change and this is what i got. - To me these levels all seem fine, i know the calcium is slightly low, but that wouldn't be enough to be killing off my corals. Right? My only thought was the bucket i use to mix my salt has a brass nozzle (perhaps it is leaching some copper) hardly seems like it would be enough to have any affect.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I really want to get my tank looking good, and I am starting to lose hope.

Salinity - 1.025

Ph - 8.34

Temp - reefkeeper reads 76.3 - thermometer reads 78

Calcium 380

Alkalinity 10.9 DKH

Magnesium 1280 ppm

ammonia - undetectable

nitrates / nitrites - old test kit doesn't seem to work

Rodi - all filters and di resin replaced recently

Feeding regimen - 1/2 cube mysis, 1/2 cube cyclops, 1 teaspoon phytochrom - daily

lightng maxspect razor

5:30am - 0% - 0%

6:00am - 10% - 10%

10:00am - 70% - 40% 

2:00pm - 70% - 70%

6:00pm - 40% - 70%

9:00pm - 0% - 0%

20170222_194336_zpsy8gxetvf.jpg

20170221_181334_zpsflpgtqu1.jpg

20170221_181326_zpsy2rzfio4.jpg

20170221_180341_zpsbbjc5vaz.jpg

I have about 800-900 gph through the returns (1,200gph pump - head loss and a small diversion to a media reactor) Also an MP10 powerhead running reef crest mode at about 80%

Tank has actually been set up for 2 years to the day! It was also basically a transfer from a 2 year old 20 long, so already somewhat matured.

I will have to pick up a copper test kit I guess to rule that out.

It is a 40 breeder with a 40 breeder sump - running for 2 years (see above post) Roughly 70 gallons total

I have about 800-900 gph through the returns (1,200gph pump - head loss and a small diversion to a media reactor) Also an MP10 powerhead running reef crest mode at about 80%

vortech omega 130 skimmer

reactor with 1 cub carbon & 3/4 cup GFO changed every 3-4 weeks

Automatic dosing pumps for calcium and alkalinity

Automatic top off  with rodi

flatlandreefer

I had an issue where my corals looked horrible just in the am, all parameters were in check. I determined it was too much co2 in the house, winter and gas appliances with multiple pets. I added a skimmer and routed the airline outside to pull in fresh o2, everything looks great now. I'm not saying this is your problem but given the time of year it is something to consider. 

1 minute ago, flatlandreefer said:

I had an issue where my corals looked horrible just in the am, all parameters were in check. I determined it was too much co2 in the house, winter and gas appliances with multiple pets. I added a skimmer and routed the airline outside to pull in fresh o2, everything looks great now. I'm not saying this is your problem but given the time of year it is something to consider. 

That could be possible, my house is fairly new and is sealed very well - so well that my wood stove has trouble getting enough air to get going sometimes, we have to open a window. I might try the seperate air line for the skimmer. good idea.

14 minutes ago, Harrisonbored said:

I think if it were copper your shrimp would be dead.

I can see aptasia...which are known to sting/irritate adjacent coral.

good to know about the shrimp. I do have a few aptasia but pretty much all of the coral is looking awful and the aptasia are only near maybe 2 or 3.

• 6 months later...

Update on this topic, hopefully someone has some other ideas. I went and installed an outside air line for my skimmer, i also removed my brass pipe fitting from my mixing tank and replaced it with a plastic one. I did both of these things back in february and I have not seen any change in my tank. Literally nothing seems to grow, it all just stays the same or slowly fades and dies. It is quite depressing. So many years of trying to keep a tank going with little to no growth is a real bummer.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:11 PM, gonebad395 said:

What size tank? Equipment in the tank how longs the tank  been up and running? 

Have you tested for stray voltage yet ?

Tested today for stray voltage. I am getting a reading of 6 volts, but from what i read anything less than 40 will not be noticed.

Thrassian Atoll

It wouldn't be c02 if your ph is at 8.3 I wouldn't think.  

Did you ever ever get a nitrate and phosphate test kit?  Seems like a lot of food for a 70 gallon.

after rereading your post, I would definitely get a nitrate and phosphate test kit.  You might be completely stripping your water from any nutrients with the GFO.

No never got the nitrate test kit, guess i'll try that next. I have a red sea phosphate test kit, and I have never gotten anything higher than the lowest reading.

Thrassian Atoll
7 minutes ago, Odyssey350kc said:

No never got the nitrate test kit, guess i'll try that next. I have a red sea phosphate test kit, and I have never gotten anything higher than the lowest reading.

Get a low range nitrate and phosphate test kit.  I bet your numbers are at 0.  GFO will strip your tank quick of nutrients and 3/4 a cup every three weeks seems like a lot.  I would probably take the GFO and carbon offline for a while and see if it helps the corals.

Do you have any algae in the tank?

2 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Get a low range nitrate and phosphate test kit.  I bet your numbers are at 0.  GFO will strip your tank quick of nutrients and 3/4 a cup every three weeks seems like a lot.  I would probably take the GFO and carbon offline for a while and see if it helps the corals.

So you think my tank might be too clean? I ask because I have a friend who thinks that might be my problem as well. That's why i tried to increase my feeding regimen to what i had posted, but i never saw any change in a month so I slowed down to about a half cube every other day.

I forgot to mention, I do have a large number of asterina starfish in my tank, but I never see them touch any of the coral, and i have read they are not usually a problem.

I suggest sending your water off for testing. That will either give you a lead to what is going on or rule out alot. This will be my goto if I can't figure out a problem. 

Thrassian Atoll
23 minutes ago, Odyssey350kc said:

So you think my tank might be too clean? I ask because I have a friend who thinks that might be my problem as well. That's why i tried to increase my feeding regimen to what i had posted, but i never saw any change in a month so I slowed down to about a half cube every other day.

Definitely.  You really need to test your water to see what the nutrient levels are at.