Top Shelf Aquatics

Help Pare Down My Stock List. Gotta have 'em all!

lkoechle

The tank is an IM 25 Lagoon I plan on running chemipure and a skimmer in addition to water changes.

Goal for fish:

Vibrant and Colorful (bold colors)

Unique (different behaviors, different body styles)

I have eight and I am having trouble what to throw off the list. I've also only owned one species (clowns, duh) on this list so I don't have any first hand experience of the personalities on my list.  So help me.  

Clownfish QTY TWO

• They are a requirement I think.  I just can't handle the thought of not having clowns... maybe...  Some type of designer, I will know them when I see them. But I don't know.  I feel like being daring... Nothing on this list is safe until it's in the tank.

b324d0a4e92c6901e8163834ddd07919.jpg

Tail Spot Blenny

FBLTA200AA.jpg

Gold Assessor

gold_assessor_basslet_by_bariskink-d93hi

Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

I've heard these are reclusive, but the ones I've encountered come right out to you... So, I don't know.

12763009324_d003bffb5c.jpg

Pink-Streaked Wrasse

pinkstreak2.jpg

Chalk Bass

Really unsure about this one. My husband liked the one we saw at the LFS but I'm not sure if he's bright enough for me.

chalk-bass-300x169.jpg

And @teenyreef 's Doug.  The Leopard Toby Puffer.

How's he been behaving himself teeny?  (I don't care about mollusks, I care about coral lol sorry he ate your scallop. :P )  I am wondering how it would do with a cleaner shrimp though.  We liked our fire shrimp so I am thinking about a Skunk Cleaner for this tank.

p-36796-Canthigaster-leopa.jpg

Thats it! Lay it on me.  Who stays?  Who goes?  No one's safe!

Doug is great with corals, he never touches them at all. According to the internet, he likes snails and shrimp, although I've never actually seen him eat a snail. I took my sexy shrimp out of the tank before he went in just to be safe.

I wouldn't recommend putting him in with a cleaner shrimp, but who knows, if it's a good size shrimp, he's only a little fish and it might be ok.

PS: I've had all the fish on your list in my 10g except for the chalk bass and the Tanaka's. They all did great, but the clowns eventually outgrew it.

1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

Doug is great with corals, he never touches them at all. According to the internet, he likes snails and shrimp, although I've never actually seen him eat a snail. I took my sexy shrimp out of the tank before he went in just to be safe.

I wouldn't recommend putting him in with a cleaner shrimp, but who knows, if it's a good size shrimp, he's only a little fish and it might be ok.

Great!  I am wondering about the same thing with the shrimp.  My fire shrimp was a beast at probably about 4 inches (by far the biggest cleaner shrimp I've ever seen) and I have a hard time imagining a 3 inch fish being tempted by it.  My rabbitfish was even too afraid to let him clean her. lol  So if I can find another giant cleaner I might give it a shot and live with the possibility of giving the puffer a $40 snack.

8 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

PS: I've had all the fish on your list in my 10g except for the chalk bass and the Tanaka's. They all did great, but the clowns eventually outgrew it.

I did notice that on your thread right now with gold assesor.  So maybe I can have them all minus the bass and possibly one other?  (I'm only considering the bass for @skoechle 's sake and he probably doesn't care that much anyways lol)

1 minute ago, RIP Sebastian said:

I don't care what else you do, but you must have clowns. :)

Right? I love the goofy buggers.  They're not my favorite but it's like your favorite childhood movie.  They always have a spot. lol

I always say there's a reason clown are so popular, they're just such great little fish.

Just for the record, I've never had ALL those fish in the tank at the same time :lol:

But for a long time I had two clowns, two green banded gobies, a pink streaked wrasse, and at least one other fish of one flavor or another.

14 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I always say there's a reason clown are so popular, they're just such great little fish.

Just for the record, I've never had ALL those fish in the tank at the same time :lol:

But for a long time I had two clowns, two green banded gobies, a pink streaked wrasse, and at least one other fish of one flavor or another.

Too late. You have given me hope and they are all going in!

(j/k :P)

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I had a tail spot blenny, I found it very hard to feed. They have super small mouths.

I wouldn't put all of them in a 25g. 

Thanks for the insight.  I definitely  dont want any difficult eaters.  My mandarins burned me out on my last tank.  

I like the pink streaked wrasse over the pygmy... sort of related to the 6 lined but nicer color. Never saw the yellow assessor in person. But I like them. I have an elongated dottyback he has amazing color and is a little less a. Bully as some of the other dottybacksIMG_20170115_112504_edit.thumb.jpg.5e87d8a759cf9c330c86452be2bf1661.jpg.

IMG_20170115_112135.jpg

flatlandreefer

I say a pair of clowns and the puffer and maybe another small fish, I think the puffer would be a very unique stand out with a lot of personality. 

fishfreak0114

I absolutely love my tailspot. He's always either hovering above my coral, poking his head out of a hole or pecking at the glass for algae. He's been pretty eager when I drop in food, he's not afraid to go up with the clowns.  

+1 for a Doug, such a neat fish!

Unless mine is a freak, I can tell you the assessor will probably be the most active of all those fish.  Mine is spends ~70% of the time mid-water column enjoying the current. When he gets tired he either takes a nap in a cubby-hole ... or retreats to low-flow spot near the rock and does a few somersaults or a bit of upside-down hovering to rest/relax.

And the two pygmy wrasses will have the most similar behavior.

So, if you are looking to get rid of just one from your list, I would say drop either the tanaka's or pink-streaked wrasse.

I agree, my golden assessor is always out front and center. Although he never somersaults, I feel ripped off.

My Tanaka's hardly ever came out of the rocks, and he wasn't nearly as pretty as my pink streaked wrasse. But he died after just a couple months so he probably was never really normal.

Yeah, I am pretty sure its going to be:

-clowns (maybe mocha or black davincis or picassos or black or mocha snowflakes? I dunno, I love strong contrast though on clowns)

-Doug (its not a leopard toby, its a doug)

-Gold Assesor

-Pink Streaked Wrasse

Archived