Cultivated Reef

mp10 vs pp4 noise and quality questions

Drew.Dorman

I am beginning to set up a new nano tank and am trying to figure out all of the equipment specifics before I get it started. At this time I am looking to set up either a red sea max nano 20, an im fusion 20 or fusion lagoon 25. I am deciding between the mp10 or pp4 for a wave pump to run. I have noticed a few pros and cons of each through others experiences. Mainly I am concerned with noise from the mp10, I heard the mp10 is louder than the pp4 but I am more drawn to the mp10 because the cord does not go into the tank and the portion of the power head in the tank is smaller as well. Does anyone have some input as to how loud the mp10 will run, I would like the tank to be as quiet as possible

I have been running two pp4 on my 25 lagoon for 2 years. 3 months ago I switched to running one mp10qd. Best decision ever. Huge price increase. the two pp4 on the lowers power setting is way too much for my IM25. I run the mp10qd at 30% and it is more than enough flow and absolutely dead silent. I also love how much more space there is in my tank without the two pp4's in there.

I switched from one MP10QD to two Jebao SW-2's a few months ago in a fusion 20 with mixed results. Flow patterns in the tank are now more erratic and the pumps were far cheaper, but the SW-2 even at 100% are much weaker with sustaining that projected that flow past 5 inches or so. I will say some of that may be attributed to how they're connected / controlled via my apex though, it just doesn't feel right with the whole setup.

If I could go back to just having the MP10 I probably would, the in-tank profile and flow projection were definitely better but the total cost was far higher.

I've posted about this numerous times, but vortech's are just stupidly noisy pumps, even the QD's. And I've owned about a dozen of them myself, from gen 1, to I finally ended up with a QD, after I was vortech free for about 2 years, when I purchased a nano tank about a year ago. The best bet is a MP60 on a super low setting but that's not really economical.

Unless they're run at under about 30%, I simply can't believe the stories of zero noise. I have literally seen probably close to 50 of these not counting my own ones on other local member's tanks over the past 8 or so years and I've never found one I can't hear.

Get a jebao or a tunze and get the correct wave in a tank so that all of the water is moving. It's cheaper and if you have the right frequency, It will move an absolute ton of water.

SelectedByNature

I have two pp4s on a 32g cube and they are (imho) way too strong for my tank. I'm only running one at lowest settings and running two at 30% was ripping my corals apart with indirect flow.

They are very quiet unless on Else mode then I can hear a slight hum when I put my head near the glass.

Never owned a Vortech.

I had two mp40s (not QD) and the noise wasn't terrible. I sat and red next to the tank quite a bit and they were at 75% max. I am getting an mp10qd this time. My previous lfs persuaded me when they updgraded all theirs to mp60qd. Couldnt hear much of anything. I would put my ear right next to them too.

Archived