inTank Media Baskets

Kessil A80 fusion 10

russ722

I ran a single A80 on a similar setup and it worked great. Never turned mine up past 25%, now I've got two running on an IM lagoon 25 at about the same settings. Get the controller as well, yeah its an extra $100 and by that time you're in the realm of a Prime HD or similar however thats simply too much light. Yeah it doesnt seem so bad when you think well its only 4.X watts per gallon, but thats concentrated in a 12" cube, unless youre growing the most demanding SPS its way overkill.

jedimasterben

LOL watts per gallon. Keep in mind the A80 is only 15 watts at full power. A Fusion 10 is about the largest you can go without needing more power and more coverage.

jedimasterben

Not the A80 lol. Unless you buy multiples, but the 20 is large enough where anything you buy you do need multiples anyway to properly cover it.

Appaloosa1224

I have this set up and everything does really well. Its never turned up above 50% and that's too much for some of the corals up top. The acans and rics at the bottom love it.

jedimasterben

I have this set up and everything does really well. Its never turned up above 50% and that's too much for some of the corals up top. The acans and rics at the bottom love it.

Yes, and those are appropriate low to very low light species depending on the particular specimen, so that is something this light is made for :)

SURVEYMAN46123

My plan is to have one on my NUVO 10 with just softies and low light lps. Everything I've read says that the light will do just fine if that's all I want to keep. I have no desire for sps at this time.

jedimasterben

It's actually a misconception that soft corals need low light. I keep most of my leathers in ~200-400 PAR and they always seem to want more. Only some zoanthids prefer lower light, but even then a lot of those can handle a couple hundred PAR with acclimation.

SURVEYMAN46123

It's actually a misconception that soft corals need low light. I keep most of my leathers in ~200-400 PAR and they always seem to want more. Only some zoanthids prefer lower light, but even then a lot of those can handle a couple hundred PAR with acclimation.

Yea I understand that. I guess I just meant that I wasn't looking to overdo it on lights. At this time and the near future I don't plan on going with any sps. So in my opinion I don't need to over do it on lighting. The kessil is simple enough and works for what I desire.

I run two on a nuvo 20 with no issues.

Got all LPS and some easy SPS corals as well as a anemone.

Nice I'm about to pick up a fusion 20 with in tank media basket ,and sicce 1.5 pump for $150 is it worth it?

Can u post up a pic of your setup?

Nice I'm about to pick up a fusion 20 with in tank media basket ,and sicce 1.5 pump for $150 is it worth it?

Can u post up a pic of your setup?

Definitely worth it.

If you buy the lights you might want to pick up the kessil controller as well so you can ramp up and down.

PM me I can try to send you a pic

Definitely worth it.

If you buy the lights you might want to pick up the kessil controller as well so you can ramp up and down.

PM me I can try to send you a pic

Tried sending pm. Says you can't receive messages.

I ran a single A80 on a similar setup and it worked great. Never turned mine up past 25%, now I've got two running on an IM lagoon 25 at about the same settings. Get the controller as well, yeah its an extra $100 and by that time you're in the realm of a Prime HD or similar however thats simply too much light. Yeah it doesnt seem so bad when you think well its only 4.X watts per gallon, but thats concentrated in a 12" cube, unless youre growing the most demanding SPS its way overkill.

Howdy KyleAwesome,

Just curious...when you say you only did "25%"...you are implying intensity right?

If that's the case I think I'm going to fry my new coral then (Acan, Zoa, Ricordia Mushrooms)

Would you happen to know your lighting schedule for the A80? The reason I ask is I'm still playing around with the A80 and if that's as high as you are going it makes me a little nervous is all :) In the past I've only used T5 lights on my tanks so having this much control is a little daunting!

Thanks a bunch!

jedimasterben

Just curious...when you say you only did "25%"...you are implying intensity right?

If that's the case I think I'm going to fry my new coral then (Acan, Zoa, Ricordia Mushrooms)

LOL. You'd only fry them if you were able to submerge your light and have it just a couple of inches away from them. PAR is very, very weak from this light at any distance over about 8" (and not just 8" water depth, 8" away from the light).

LOL. You'd only fry them if you were able to submerge your light and have it just a couple of inches away from them. PAR is very, very weak from this light at any distance over about 8" (and not just 8" water depth, 8" away from the light).

Haha. That's good to know then cause I have them ramping up to 80% intensity and was like holy crap I must be way outta line. I believe I have it about 4 inches the waterline...so the bottom of the tank must not be getting much. This kind of makes sense, now that you say that, my bubble tip anemone tends to hang towards the top of the tank more than anywhere else.

Thanks!

Howdy KyleAwesome,

Would you happen to know your lighting schedule for the A80? The reason I ask is I'm still playing around with the A80 and if that's as high as you are going it makes me a little nervous is all :) In the past I've only used T5 lights on my tanks so having this much control is a little daunting!

Thanks a bunch!

Haha. That's good to know then cause I have them ramping up to 80% intensity and was like holy crap I must be way outta line. I believe I have it about 4 inches the waterline...so the bottom of the tank must not be getting much. This kind of makes sense, now that you say that, my bubble tip anemone tends to hang towards the top of the tank more than anywhere else.

Thanks!

Tony, yes I was referring to intensity, not color. I go up to 60 or 65% color at the peak of my schedule. I cant remember the exact schedule off hand but its something like:

time | int | color

12pm 0% 0%

2pm 15% 45%

4:30 25% 65%

7pm 25% 45%

9pm 15% 25%

10pm 0% 0%

I run a shallow reef, so the LEDs themselves are approximately 17" above the sand bed. Now I run two on my IM 25, so there is going to be some spillover from each (left light supplies a small amount of photosynthetic energy to the right side of the tank and vice versa) so in a single light configuration you may need to ramp up slightly higher to compensate. Once I've been running this schedule for a few months I'll probably slowly ramp the intensity up more, however at this time, there doesnt seem to be a need.

Do you have PAR/PUR readings for the A80? I'd like to see them, I have only come across anecdotal comments with no real information to back up various statements.

Far be it from me and with all due respect, I did some digging and it looks like this is not the first thread where you have disagreed with this product, which is absolutely fine, however I (personally) think its ill advised to tell someone "You'd only fry them if you were able to submerge your light and have it just a couple of inches away from them." I'm sure you are aware (and probably better versed on the topic than I) but PAR/PUR is not the end all be all in terms of bleaching/"frying" or whether or not a specific species or frag can handle an increase in radiation without negative effects.

Me personally, I dont trust 99% of forum PAR/PUR readings. Its very difficult to get accurate readings, and most users (in my experience) are ill equipped to achieve consistency/accurary: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/equipment

Archived