SaltCritters.com

Tang Alternative for 40 gallons tank

Canadianeh

Get a Kole Tang. I have one in my tank. It is 42 gallons. He/She/It (I don't know what he/she/it identifies as and I don't judge) is fat and happy. FTTP

not a fan of their coloration though :(

how about Cherub Pygmy angelfish?

Angles are really a crapshoot . Some behave very well, others will wreck your coral. My flame picked on just about everything in my tank (especially my gorgs) for about a month then one day just quit.

RIP Sebastian

not a fan of their coloration though :(

how about Cherub Pygmy angelfish?

Cherubs are fairly reclusive. Not what you want if you want an active fish. Get a wrasse.

Not a fan of Kole tang coloration? Are you colorblind?! lol. I've never heard someone say they didn't like the look of them.

Lol I am looking for brighter color fish

Not a fan of Kole tang coloration? Are you colorblind?! lol. I've never heard someone say they didn't like the look of them.

Really? I've always thought they were kind of bland. They do look better in person but not by much imo.

Wrasse have some awesome colours and are fish that swim around a lot.

Kole tangs are very pretty.

The spotted jawfish are pretty but at $120 US wow. They don't swim around enough for that price.

Angels are pretty but too risky with corals.

What about anthias? They are colourful.

I had a coral beauty once that was a great fish never picked on anything in the tank and was always swimming around. That being said they are a bit of a toss of the dice.

Wrasse have some awesome colours and are fish that swim around a lot.

Kole tangs are very pretty.

The spotted jawfish are pretty but at $120 US wow. They don't swim around enough for that price.

Angels are pretty but too risky with corals.

What about anthias? They are colourful.

I don't mind paying that much for the jawfish. The color is must have for me.

Anthias? Do they nip of LR and eat algae?

IMHO I would chance a pygmy angelfish... cherubfish. I'm not sure how much coral They could consume if they are well fed.

Another option anthias are striking or there are some nice flasher wrasses available. Not sure what else is in the tank but a clown trigger (small) size are unusual. They love crustaceans though.

Sorry if this is impertinent. Is a 40 big enough for for a Kole tang? I am a beginner to the hobby, but everything I have heard has said no tangs in less than 120, or a 6ft tank. I would love a Kole tang, but didn't think a 40 would be big enough.

Sorry if this is impertinent. Is a 40 big enough for for a Kole tang? I am a beginner to the hobby, but everything I have heard has said no tangs in less than 120, or a 6ft tank. I would love a Kole tang, but didn't think a 40 would be big enough.

Yes. Have enough open swim space and plenty of rockwork/arches/overhangs for him to swim through.

I'm very happy with my Potter's. Hasn't nipped yet. Most reports online seem to point to it being one of the least nippy of all the pygmy angels.

the problem is potter can grow up to 5". I don't think we can considered them as dwarf or pygmy angelfish.

Yes. Have enough open swim space and plenty of rockwork/arches/overhangs for him to swim through.

I disagree. Unless you get a very young one, I wouldn't put one in a 40. Mine was very active (4 or 5 inches) and I felt my 4 ft long 85 was too small for him.

Archived