Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tang Alternative for 40 gallons tank

Canadianeh

What's alternative out there for Tang that look and behave like them (like to graze and swim), but smaller in size so I can keep in 40 gallons tank?

RIP Sebastian

What's alternative out there for Tang that look and behave like them (like to graze and swim), but smaller in size so I can keep in 40 gallons tank?

Pygmy wrasses, most likely. Though they don't pick at algae. Just the rock.

A Kole Tang would be fine in a 40.

Depending on your coral situation, dwarf/pygmy angels. My old pygmy angel in my 40 was in constant motion and definitely picked at the rock. Suitably sized wrasses will also behave in a similar fashion. That being said, nothing is really going to replicate the full tang experience in a 40 gallon tank.

uh oh.....then what's the other alternative?

sorry for not making it a bit clearer. What's other alternative that look similar to angels and tangs (dwarf size) but don't nip on corals?

RIP Sebastian

sorry for not making it a bit clearer. What's other alternative that look similar to angels and tangs (dwarf size) but don't nip on corals?

Nothing.

Nothing looks like either.

Tangs don't nip at corals but need larger tanks.

Angels are known to nip at corals. They are a reef caution fish.

Liveaquaria.com

burtbollinger

Just chiming in to encourage you not to add tangs, angels or garden eels...and to properly quarantine anything you're adding. that would mean first buying the equipment for a quarantine tank before buying more live stock.

Just chiming in to encourage you not to add tangs, angels or garden eels...and to properly quarantine anything you're adding. that would mean first buying the equipment for a quarantine tank before buying more live stock.

I have been using QT tank since I started the hobby bud :)

I changed my mind on adding eels unless there is one that grows to max 5"

RIP Sebastian

I have been using QT tank since I started the hobby bud :)

All eels get way bigger than 5 inches.

jedimasterben

Why is that? Golden dwarves and snowflakes are great choices for tanks this size.

jedimasterben

You need a tight fitting lid for eels.

A nice wrasse would be better than a tang or angel.

You need a good lid for wrasses, as well.
jedimasterben

I don't have any experience with them personally, but hear that they are not the most hardy of the dwarf angels. My favorite personally is the potters, but they can be expensive and also are not the hardiest.

jedimasterben

They can eat anything. Fleshy LPS and SPS polyps seem to be highest up on the menu, but I have heard of some that have gone after zoanthids, as well.

Archived