Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Breaking up with the Apex for good

evan127

Just a little update while I have a second. I contacted Neptune Systems on Jan 26th at 11:49am about my latest issues. Still haven't heard back from them. My internet service provider gets back to me in a few hours after I send an email or call. My internet service provider!

If it makes you feel any better I have tried calling my dental insurance company several times (over an hour combined time on hold) and sent an email 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything

Just a little update while I have a second. I contacted Neptune Systems on Jan 26th at 11:49am about my latest issues. Still haven't heard back from them. My internet service provider gets back to me in a few hours after I send an email or call. My internet service provider!

Ya they won't respond. They never do. Stop wasting your time on that.

The systems is really a great system when it works or when you learn how to work it. If you want plug and play this isn't for you. If you want to spend several hours learning to program in their own knowledge (it doesn't correspond to any other coding) then it is an enjoyable experience for the most part.

They do charge a premium for an item that isn't worth that much. That is why I buy used. I've yet to buy a new piece of Apex equipment and never will. The modules are worth $10 max but you also have to factor in their R&R etc. Maybe it is only $10 in materials but it really did cost them $30-40 at the end of it. And they still have to make a profit.

Overall I'm happy with mine. Do I think some of the modules are a rip? Oh ya. But I enjoy the convenience of having an automated tank.

I'm no apex expert.. I purchased it maybe 3 years ago and transferred it to a bigger tank when I moved over the summer. It's plugged into my router and I never experienced any of those issues. Maybe it's just luck or lack of additional modules but I love it and never had a issue.

• Like 1

I had a rkl for a while and hated it. Could never get the thing to work properly. I sold it and bought an apex lite and it worked flawlessly for me. I bought anew one for my latest build and hope my luck continues.

I had a rkl for a while and hated it. Could never get the thing to work properly. I sold it and bought an apex lite and it worked flawlessly for me. I bought anew one for my latest build and hope my luck continues.

Reefkeeper is local to me. They don't even come to frag swaps anymore. Last time I saw them at one was 4 or so years ago and the owner was a total ass when I was asking him questions about it. I was genuinely interested in supporting a local company.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
davy jones

Not sure what came of this but i plan on switching from apex to GHL profilux at some point, might be worth looking into for an alternative

8 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I get great CS with apex. Always get called back within a day, and they may spend half an hour with me fixing the issue. 

I've been seeing such varied experiences with them, so I was actually leaning towards the GHL, but I got a good deal on a classic unit.  So far though, I've had 0 issues with it and am enjoying it and the modules that I have.  That being said, I do configure enterprise software for a living, so digging through menus and such and writing code is sort of my everyday.  It's most definitely not as plug and play as they make it out to be.

45 minutes ago, moosubi said:

I've been seeing such varied experiences with them, so I was actually leaning towards the GHL, but I got a good deal on a classic unit.  So far though, I've had 0 issues with it and am enjoying it and the modules that I have.  That being said, I do configure enterprise software for a living, so digging through menus and such and writing code is sort of my everyday.  It's most definitely not as plug and play as they make it out to be.

The APEX forums are also incredibly helpful.  I was surprised with my first unit how not plug and play it was. lol  but I have gotten used to it now.

apex is certainly not my favorite, but its the best for my needs on the market atm.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lkoechle said:

apex is certainly not my favorite, but its the best for my needs on the market atm

This is how I feel too :)