Pod Your Reef

Breaking up with the Apex for good

evan127

This relationship has run its course. Its abusive and not healthy.

I bought my Apex in 2015 after I had a large temperature swing in my reef. I decided that I needed something that could alert me when the temperature fell or rose above my target temperature. Thus the Apex was installed on my reef tank. I was excited to have a "smart reef" and be able to control everything from my devices near and far. I even purchased an Energy Bar 8 so my entire life support system was accessible to me anywhere, anytime.

Then I unboxed it and tried to set it up. Not a lot angers me and sets me off in my life, but the Apex made me lose my cool more than once, and continued to do so for years. Setting it up was a mess. I had to borrow a Windows machine, download software (which required me to disable firewalls, wifi settings, alter network settings, remove or disable ad blocking software, disable or remove security software, change IP addresses, change MAC addresses, etc., all on a machine that I did not own mind you) that was antiquated and didn't work for the initial network setup for the Apex. After emails back and forth for days and a single phone call, the thing would not connect for me to set up. Updating the firmware was atrocious. I scoured forums, Neptune's own forums, etc. I don't recall how I got it setup initially, but the whole experience made me regret my purchase right out of the box.

Once it was up and running it worked fairly well until I looked at it wrong. Any small hiccup in the network connection (or seemingly for no reason whatsoever), which is hardwired into a router I bought specifically for the Apex to be hardwired in, would destroy everything. Days would go by with the same error message upon signing into Fusion; "Apex Disconnected, the Apex isn't presently connected to Fusion". A power outage or surge would bring my Apex down. This is to be expected with any electronic equipment. However, I didn't imagine that I would need to bust out the Windows machine (which had to be a certain older version to function properly) and go through this setup process again. "Update the firmware", "reset the controller from the display", "make sure the IP address is ___", "change this router setting", "see if this weird network setting, that only an IT professional knows after years of education and has a degree, is on".

This all brings me to why I am breaking up with Apex and moving on. Yesterday I opened my phone to shut off my skimmer while I broadcast fed the reef, as I usually do. I open up the Fusion app on my iPhone and I am greeted with the "Apex Disconnected" message. I check my internet connection and all was well. There have been no power outages in the area, network interruptions, etc. I was already preparing the food and thought I would shut off the skimmer on the Apex display. Nope! Apex display was dark. I unplugged the Aquabus connector from the Energy Bar 4 and plugged it back in. Still dark. I eventually pulled the EB4 and EB8 from the wall for 1 minute and powered them back up. Display died and the Apex won't connect to Fusion. I can't update or alter network settings without the display or it being connected to the internet. I am officially over this terrible, unreliable, over rated, high jacking piece of equipment. This was undoubtedly the worst equipment I have ever bought for my reef, if not in general.

I will start the process to make my reef "dumb" again. At least I can rest assured that using a old school digital timer will work no matter what as long as there is power :) Bye Felicia (Apex)

• Like 4

Yeah its a hate love kind a relationship. But I have to say I am happy with mines have not had any problems with it for a while now knock on wood. When works it works great! I did have my frustration with it more then once and it kills me that I cant speak with someone live.

• Like 1

When it works the way its intended to, which is not often in my case, it does work well. But I rarely think about it working well and abide by the "set it and forget it" mentality. I have the "when's it going to give me trouble again" mentality.

• Like 1

I'm curious what their tech support has to say about getting my Apex back online to Fusion without an Apex display. This might be the deciding factor right here.

• Like 1

Sorry this sucks. I have an older version and if it weren't for my husband who knows electronics and is willing to figure out what's going on with it then I would have tossed mine a long time ago as well. I've never been able to get the app itself working on my iPhone I just have to go to the site if I use it in my phone. Frustrating for sure.

When I broadcast feed I reach down and unplug the skimmer. Later I plug it back in ;) seems a lot easier to me than fiddling around with my phone.

It's going to be much easier than that for me in the future! ;) There will be a nicely illuminated switch! :o:) I'm looking at the American DJ power strips to replace the Apex Energy Bars.

Sorry this sucks. I have an older version and if it weren't for my husband who knows electronics and is willing to figure out what's going on with it then I would have tossed mine a long time ago as well. I've never been able to get the app itself working on my iPhone I just have to go to the site if I use it in my phone. Frustrating for sure.

I'm in the same boat! If my girlfriend wasn't a professional that worked with software, the Apex would have been returned the same day I bought it.

• Like 1

If you ever need help with the Apex PM me. I'm kinda a pro with them. I have 3 EB8s and I'm running 2 tanks off of my one unit. I have my display and my QT in the closet 40 feet away. When it works it is a great device. Getting it setup is a PITA. But once you do it should be good to go for the most part. Neptune are a bunch of assholes though.

I'm curious what their tech support has to say about getting my Apex back online to Fusion without an Apex display. This might be the deciding factor right here.

You do not need a display to program the unit. I've actually never owned a Apex display until just recently. I've been running them for over 5 years. I just bought a second setup because it was a steal. $150 for an Apex Lite with 1 EB8, display and temp probe. I needed another EB8 anyways so I couldn't pass it up. Now I have a backup head unit.

I echo everything you said. I work in tech industry and the APEX is a sorry POS. Mine hasn't connected to Apex Fusion in months. I need to update my DOS (another POS) schedule and I been holding it off cuz I dont want to deal with reconnecting the Apex.

I echo everything you said. I work in tech industry and the APEX is a sorry POS. Mine hasn't connected to Apex Fusion in months. I need to update my DOS (another POS) schedule and I been holding it off cuz I dont want to deal with reconnecting the Apex.

Its a POS because you work in the tech industry lol. It really is a great device minus the few quirky flaws. Those flaws should have been fixed years ago but Neptune keeps pushing out pointless modules like the PAR module instead.

It's a POS when compared to the quality and technology behind other products in tech industry with similar price point. Fundamental features do not work as advertised or have a horrible user experience. That's not just quirky flaws. That's stuff that should never make it to a production unit or should be addressed quickly.

Sounds like I will be avoiding Apex in the future! Reefing is suppose to be fun not stressful. There are enough issues to worry about with a tank and a complex logical system should not be one of them....

I honestly have never understood the appeal. I mean if everything was perfectly plug and play and worked 100% of the time and for a fraction of the cost, then maybe...But then again I still use a paper calendar for work :)

• Like 1
burtbollinger

finding this thread has stopped me from upgrading my Reefkeeper Lite. Simple and it works without hassle. first world problems, but I get so tired of buying expensive things that should work simply, then having frustrations, hiccups and steep learning curves.

I have had two apex systems. Tried one before there fancy software and then again late in reefing using there fancy stuff. both were more trouble than they were worth, IMO. I keep going back to the RKL and do DJ power bars as well. It's more a matter of preference and willingness to deal with the controller your using.

I have the new apex model. Got it at 75% cost, which I still feel is almost too much. Especially when they charge $100 for a module that is just a cheap molded clamshell with $0.50 of electronics, and then on top of that could, and probably should have been integrated into the main module from the start especially for the price. And to be fair they did integrate several things into the new base unit.

When it works, it works great, but as others have said, almost everything is an uphill battle. Mine randomly disconnects from fusion at least once a week and needs to be power cycled. Thankfully I don't have to reprogram anything when it does this, yet. The code language is janky, but that's coming from someone who knows the basics of actual programming languages, so maybe it makes more sense to people who just want to get their outlets working.

I had some real issues using the wxm module to connect to my vortechs as it added a line of code that basically locked them into 50% constant and ignored all of my programming.

But really the biggest issue to me is that they use their community forum as a substitute for actual technical assistance. On top of that the manuals haven't been updated since 2014, which is even more egregious when you consider they've since moved to the 2016 hardware. Even with the old hardware most of the software figures and instructions refer to the old version of the software and some don't exist in the new version.

• Like 2

Just a little update while I have a second. I contacted Neptune Systems on Jan 26th at 11:49am about my latest issues. Still haven't heard back from them. My internet service provider gets back to me in a few hours after I send an email or call. My internet service provider!

• Like 2