Newstead

Saltcritters pros and cons

Just relating my experience this week ordering from Saltcritters.

The good:

1) Price - $10 frag sell, 24.99 shipping

2) Received several emails notifying me about shipment

3) Corals were well packed with a heat pack

4) I received a timely response to my picture and email about a problem with one of the zoa frags

5) All corals have opened after 2 days except for the acro.

6) Some nice colored zoas

7) The 1 ricordia is nicely colored and clean if small

The bad:

1) One zoa frag arrived with several polyps floating free - when I opened it into a container after temp acclimating per their instructions there was a very fast 1/4 inch long "bug" racing from the frag to the loose polyps. I videotaped it and sent a pic of the loose polyps to them, offering to send the video. They emailed back that the loose polyps were from FedEx throwing the box around and to reglue the individual polyps. No response at all about the bug eating them.

2) All 4 zoa frags had lots of brown junk floating in the bags

3) The 1 acro frag was completely brown, mostly skeleton, with numerous pineapple sponges on the acro as well as GHA on the frag plug.

4) Acan and blasto frags are tiny heads

5) Some zoa polyps still shedding "skin" and a few more polyps have floated free.

Perhaps I expected too much for a ten dollar sale, but I would be just be aware that their frags need a good examination and dipping for pests, algae, etc. if you order from them. I have pics of opening, frags, their email, etc. if anyone is interested further.

• Like 3

Thank you for the details. I have had great experiences ordering from them so far. i saw a picture of the frag you posted and none of my stuff looked like that!

The carriers beat the sh*t out of everything.... I am surprised anything makes it alive. :)

• Like 1

My experiences have been hit or miss with them. Some similar to yours, minus the acro.

• Like 1

my sale items are same, lost two frags of zoas in the first day, seemed to be freshly glued to plug.

• Like 1

I dipped for pests. No bugs but had the brown junk.All zoas were attached. My flame angel ate my Brain but it looked amazing, My ric was about 1/8 and inch in diameter, MAYBE 1/4 inch. either someone ate it or it floated free and is somewhere, it was though a GORGEOUS orange color.

I tried to buy enough at sale price to justify the shipping and my opinion is in the middle. I'd buy again and then maybe decide for the future. I did see lots of reviews going both ways on here and FB so I figured it was worth a shot.

• Like 1

I bought 10 ricordea from them the sale before last. All arrived in good shape. About the size of a standard plug and still looking good if not growing. I will say their website is AWFUL. I couldn't do anything during their last sale and was going to buy 10 more.

• Like 2

Took advantage of Black Friday sale. Only had one Zoa not make it. They replaced it with my next shipment

• Like 1

Well, instead of starting a new thread, or posting on one of the other Salt Critters threads... I'm posting on the first thread that popped up. I'm lazy like that.

so, I'll be honest. It's been quite some time since I last ordered coral. I'm not sure if this is standard, or something special. I will say, it's something special to me. So much so, I'm gonna mention it before I review any of the order, or process leading up to it. These frags were packed better than any order I've ever gotten from any vendor. All frags were double bagged in tiny sealed baggies. Sealed, not tied, rubberbanded, ziplocked, or any other method. I'll be honest. I thought that was cool. Maybe us old codgers re easily impressed....

On to the order. 

Everything came in alive. No loose polyps, nothing that looks like it was glued the day before it was sent. Everything was well packaged. Beyond the aforementioned sealed baggies, styro box, followed by bagged cool pack, followed by damp newspaper, followed by a tied plastic bag, followed by those cool little baggies.

I got more than I ordered, and my freebie wasn't some cheapo crappy green paly, or anything like that. I'm not quite sure what I got as a freebie, but I suspect it's a leptostrea, or leptoseris. Whatever it is, it's nice. It's blue, or purple with tiny green eyes. Most zoas were partially opened in said baggies, as was one of the tubestrea frags I ordered.

Now, the only negatives I have aren't anything that would prevent me from ordering again in the future. The first was their site. This was the 10th anniversary $10 frag sale. So, I'm sure it was busy, busy busy. Anyways, at checkout, I couldn't proceed because all frags were marked as $0.00. So, I had to re order. Same thing happened. A few emails back and fourth (btw, I didn't mention the lightning fast email responses to try and help me with the problem.) and Mr. Salty sends me a PayPal invoice instead. I tried to pay that. Now PayPal tells me it's an invalid billing, and I should pay through the vendors site. Well, now I've closed everything, and nothing is left of my order on the site. Back and fourth again with Mr. Salty, multiple attempts, still nothing. At this point, I'm willing to forego the sale and buy fewer frags the following day when there is no mad rush. However, Mr. Salty has me try paying him through PayPal without an invoice. That worked, and he emailed me the invoice. The other problem is I'm missing one frag I ordered. Now, I haven't contacted them yet, and I'm quite sure they will gladly make it up to me. I think what happened is, that by the time I was finally able to place the order (Well over an hour, perhaps approaching 2 hours later) all those frags had sold.

To sum it up. I'd give Salt Critters an A+. Excellent communication, fast shipping, excellent packaging, nice frags, exceptional value, cheap shipping, the works. I will be ordering from them again. However, not too soon. I only have a 7.5 gallon that already had several sponges, and a few corals. I'm pretty well maxed out now.

So, allow me to state, for the record, I'm a moron. In the time it took me to post my previous post, the mystery frag had opened. It looks like I didn't get a freebie, and it looks like the frag is none other than the one I thought was missing. I had ordered a flamethrower Goni. Well, I've never seen a Goni with such tiny polyps, but it appears that's what it is. It's not what I'd describe as the red I'd expect with a trade name like flamethrower, but it's still pretty cool. I'll try whiter lighting over the weekend and see if it looks more red then. It's hard for us old folk to see under all these newfangled led lights.

• Like 2

Took advantage of their 47% off this past Sunday. My order of 5 Ric Florida arrived this morning.  They're not the nicest on size, but I knew that going in based on the eggcrate background.  I've been hesitant about the coloration of their online photos.  While the highlight colors aren't quite spot-on with photos (they're obviously very "glowy" in the online photos), they're a lot closer to the photos that I'd imagined. 

Overall, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at how my future Ric Florida garden could look like. Now I just have to make sure I don't lose them under rocks, just lost a nice, but small, yuma this morning, no idea where it went. :(