Newstead

Saltcritters pros and cons

Just relating my experience this week ordering from Saltcritters.

The good:

1) Price - $10 frag sell, 24.99 shipping

2) Received several emails notifying me about shipment

3) Corals were well packed with a heat pack

4) I received a timely response to my picture and email about a problem with one of the zoa frags

5) All corals have opened after 2 days except for the acro.

6) Some nice colored zoas

7) The 1 ricordia is nicely colored and clean if small

The bad:

1) One zoa frag arrived with several polyps floating free - when I opened it into a container after temp acclimating per their instructions there was a very fast 1/4 inch long "bug" racing from the frag to the loose polyps. I videotaped it and sent a pic of the loose polyps to them, offering to send the video. They emailed back that the loose polyps were from FedEx throwing the box around and to reglue the individual polyps. No response at all about the bug eating them.

2) All 4 zoa frags had lots of brown junk floating in the bags

3) The 1 acro frag was completely brown, mostly skeleton, with numerous pineapple sponges on the acro as well as GHA on the frag plug.

4) Acan and blasto frags are tiny heads

5) Some zoa polyps still shedding "skin" and a few more polyps have floated free.

Perhaps I expected too much for a ten dollar sale, but I would be just be aware that their frags need a good examination and dipping for pests, algae, etc. if you order from them. I have pics of opening, frags, their email, etc. if anyone is interested further.

3 people like this

Thank you for the details. I have had great experiences ordering from them so far. i saw a picture of the frag you posted and none of my stuff looked like that!

The carriers beat the sh*t out of everything.... I am surprised anything makes it alive. :)

1 person likes this

My experiences have been hit or miss with them. Some similar to yours, minus the acro.

1 person likes this

my sale items are same, lost two frags of zoas in the first day, seemed to be freshly glued to plug.

1 person likes this

I dipped for pests. No bugs but had the brown junk.All zoas were attached. My flame angel ate my Brain but it looked amazing, My ric was about 1/8 and inch in diameter, MAYBE 1/4 inch. either someone ate it or it floated free and is somewhere, it was though a GORGEOUS orange color.

I tried to buy enough at sale price to justify the shipping and my opinion is in the middle. I'd buy again and then maybe decide for the future. I did see lots of reviews going both ways on here and FB so I figured it was worth a shot.

1 person likes this

I bought 10 ricordea from them the sale before last. All arrived in good shape. About the size of a standard plug and still looking good if not growing. I will say their website is AWFUL. I couldn't do anything during their last sale and was going to buy 10 more.

2 people like this

Took advantage of Black Friday sale. Only had one Zoa not make it. They replaced it with my next shipment

1 person likes this