Pod Your Reef

New Red Sea World for Squishy

SquishyFishy

Santa's got a brand new bag...er...tank! And he's bringing it home to me...woopeeh!

Finally getting the Red Sea Max Series E 260....70 gallons of I mean business! Yes, I can finally get a Tang, thank you ethics monitors!

Todd is out in the shed building the platform on mega industrial castors for it right now. I want it to roll so I can clean out the rear sump. Casters will hold 1000 lbs! Display will be up around 50 to 56 inches tall (middle of tank) total height is 60'' so it will be easy to see.

We'll transfer everything on Saturday and then I'll take more time to build a bridge between 2 groupings I have that are covered with softies and anemones. Finally, room for the Monti, Stylo and the Leather to continue to spread out. And maybe I can finally add some Gorgs. I will be getting a couple more SPS but not much in the way of corals. I'm just getting either a Hepo or a Spotted Fox Face and maybe a scooter blennie or jawfish, but that's all for quite a while. So any suggestions for these fish. Experience with these 3 is welcomed. I do have lots of pods in my current tank.

332076o.jpg

• Like 8

I'm so excited for you! I started following you when you had your 16 Nuvo. I had just set up mine and was learning so much from your posts. When disaster hit yours, I panicked and changed to the Fusion 20. I would LOVE to have the Red Sea 260E but at my age I think it would be too much for me to handle. I'm excited to follow this new thread of yours. Looking forward to seeing this tank up and running.

My lfs guy came and set it up yesterday and we started putting water in, we put in 55 gals. and tried moving the new stand on wheels, voila, it worked! It moved easily! We just have to be sure all the wheels are pointed in the right direction before moving and you could probably move it with one hand without sloshing the water. When the last bags of my pink fiji sand comes tomorrow, we'll let it cloud out and then begin the transfer of 12 or so gals of my tank water and the rocks and critters. It will be so neat to be able to roll it out from the wall and clean the sump. The Biocube rear sump had become an algae nursery.

I must say, these tanks are the most substantial, well made tanks I've ever seen. Everything has been so well thought out its amazing.

The glass is soooo thick, 12mm thick star glass on 3 sides and then a surprise....tinted glass in the back of the display to separate the rear chambers. I only found this out as I began to take the vinyl film off the back. This film is default for all their tanks a lot like the IM tanks and you take it off if you prefer to see into the rear sump. When Todd began pulling at it, he said, Oh Wow 2 way glass. You can actually see into the back of the display, so you can look behind all your rock scape!!!!! I will post a pic in a minute. You can see through from the back but you can't see through from the display in front. You can see a flashlight through it though, I love love love this feature. I was also so thrilled to see glass on the back instead of the porous plastic of my Biocube that was he!! to keep clean of cyanno! It was getting so not even a blade could get it off. This glass will be so much easier!

Minidoll, I am 65 so I don't think it would be too much for you! The only trouble is my hubby will need to become more involved (he is 50, Growwwl I'm a cougar) because this tank on stand is very tall already and when you put it on 5 more inches of rolling platform, you must use a ladder to get to the back chambers and inside the tank. In that respect it will be more trouble. But it is at exactly the right height to be a real work of art at eye level, at least mine! I'm 5'4".

The Hydra 26™ HD lighting seems to be every bit as good as my NanoBox was, it has the same capabilities, the storm features etc and you operate it from your phone or in our case, we have a dedicated iPad for it, (my hubby is an IT guy and gets used stuff from his clients so we happened to have one we could dedicate).

I am very excited about the scape but I'll go into those ideas next post. Going to process the pics so I can get them in her right now. The only problem is that this tank is sooo much bigger, its going to make my little rocks seems so small...and I'm gonna have to go get more rock! Boo hiss.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update! I thought about you all weekend long, knowing you were setting this up. Can't wait to see your photos!

Oh dear, the height of the tank would be a real problem for me as I'm only 5ft. I'm not too keen on having to use a ladder (I'm 60). You will laugh, but I have to use a small step in order to work in the back chamber of my Fusion! If the Red Sea could go on a shorter stand then it might be doable for me. My husband does incredible woodwork and he could build a stand for it. Hmmm...I will need to check into it.

It could have gone on my kitchen counter to the left of the wine rack, you would have to use a step anyways though. Its deeper too so still...a ladder. I've now decided to change the location to our entry way. the first thing you'd see coming or going. I only need one plug with 2 cords. One for everything in the cabinet and one for my Hydor pump. Thats all! Everything is all consolidated in the nifty control in cabinet. All the cords concealed in channels they supply for all the cords so very tidy!

Maybe you should look at the smaller version the 170, half the size. But in any event, making a custom cabinet for it would be just great.

My main concern was I wanted to be able to look straight at the middle of the tank, and not have to bend over just to view my corals/fish. That entails having the inconvenience of having to climb up instead, but I'm willing to deal with it. I have a very stable paint ladder with extra wide steps.

Still working on pics, my hubby took them all with his phone, so waiting for him to send them to my email. Sorry

OK I couldn't wait for him so got out the Nikon Cool Pix. The first pic is of both tanks, you can see how I wanted to move it to the second pic location at the front door. So crowded on the first wall:

35m1krr.jpg

2h875sx.jpg

2sab8eg.jpg

And finally a photo looking from the rear through to the display area and you can see how cool it is to be able to see behind your scape...

2vc6ao0.jpg

I should explain that we live in a metal building that we finished off ourselves, just my hubby and me. So its rather unique as a home goes. We live out in the county so it fits in with the typical farm building but its paid for and is really comfy inside.

• Like 5

I'm looking at them, have now decided against the Hepo But a yellow tang would be o.k.. Do yours pic on any corals??

My lfs guy as a gorgeous Canary Blenny, I might get and he got in some huge Black Cap Basslets.

Black spot Fox Face is still in the running though, ever had one of those?

And I have one green Chromis and want to add 2 more so I'll do some schooling. I tried that before in my IM 16 but one of them was nasty and killed the other 2:(

I'm looking at them, have now decided against the Hepo But a yellow tang would be o.k.. Do yours pic on any corals??

My lfs guy as a gorgeous Canary Blenny, I might get and he got in some huge Black Cap Basslets.

Black spot Fox Face is still in the running though, ever had one of those?

And I have one green Chromis and want to add 2 more so I'll do some schooling. I tried that before in my IM 16 but one of them was nasty and killed the other 2:(

Tangs don't pick on corals. They help clean up algae instead, like your fox face. I thought about adding a fox face to mine but can never find a nice one locally. I agree 36" tank is not long enough for a blue hippo long time. Your best bet is a small yellow or tomini. I wouldn't do two tangs though in 36".

Yeah buddy! I just got an e260 (tank only). I love the quality. Someone local bought the whole setup but there was a really small chip in the glass and Red Sea sent him a new tank, so I was able to buy the "defect" tank for super cheap. However, I am currently buying parts to outfit the system. Got a aquamaxx skimmer, IM reactor, new pumps, an InTank basket, two primes( couldn't go in for the hydras just yet), and built a stand. Glad to see another one of these up and running. Following along for sure~

I wish I had found the deal you got!!!!!!!! This little tank/stand is the most expensive piece of furniture we've ever bought! LOL! Except for our Tempurpedic...

I would have never thought about putting a tank on casters!

I had my first tank an IM Nuvo 16 on a bakers trolley that was rated for 400 lbs and it worked great. These wheels can hold 1000. We mounted them to two pieces of 3/4'' ply sandwiched together and painted white to match the stand. When we finished, we both got on it and jumped up and down....that is about 500 lbs between us (she blushes) and it didn't even bend.

The old Red Sea C Series that I drooled over for 2 yrs had built in casters, but they didn't add them on the new E Series. I've been moving it around all my myself today without sloshing any water with hardly any effort.

Sea_Of_Treachery

Interesting stand idea for sure. Tank is definitely NOT suited for any tang or fox face regardless of their size. Plenty of other fish options out there.

Here we go again :unsure:

BTW Ninja, what do you know about Blue Chromis? They look totally different from the Blue Green guys. My lfs is discouraging me from them because of temperament. Trying to find someone who has kept them...

• Like 1

Love the photos, it really helped to put the tank in perspective for me. I think the tank will look spectacular on the wall near the door. Lucky you to have a large area to work with. The photo looking from the back of the tank through to the display was very cool! What forethought RS had to make the glass like that. You and your hubby have done a marvelous job with the construction of your home. Are those polished concrete floors? They're gorgeous! Keep the photos coming. :-)

Thank you both. Yes, I was going for industrial/modern/loft look. We couldn't afford expensive hardwood ply so we went with painted OSB which we had Home Depot rip in 2. Then we used a laser light to be sure the panels were level all around. I put little strips of flat molding in between. People usually think they are cement until they touch it.

The floor is just polished concrete. Takes salt water lickin and keeps on tickin. We had the inside foamed instead of batting for the insulation so our house is like an Igloo. We were going to cover the ceiling but people liked the foam so we just spray painted that as well. The whole goal was to be able to build a home free and clear so there is no mortgage. The outside is just metal but no maintenance, the finish is guaranteed to last 20 years, figured I'd be gone by then...LOL!

241jv39.jpg

This is a really old photo probably 2012, we have a concrete drive now.

2u5ub2t.jpg

29nfo03.jpg

Those "rocks" are not really, I made them out of Hyper tufa the big one weighs about 5 lbs LOL

• Like 2

Sand is out for delivery tomorrow so will take a pic as soon as I get that in, we moved the tank over by the door, I think I like it there much better. Todd is miffed cuz its not close to the toilet now for dumping the old water but we have a dolly.

As soon as the tank is filtered out we'll begin the transfer. Everybody say a prayer that nobody croaks!

Here is a little gadget I concocted so that I can mount the huge chalice out of everybody's way. I glued the little piece of rock to make it more stable. I will camouflage it with rubble and rock so it will be a bridge.

k0r4n5.jpg

• Like 1

Sand is in, but having trouble with the clouding. At 16 turnover times per hour I feel it should be getting clearer by now??

Also, nowhere to put any floss, I'm so used to floss....where is the sand cloud to go?? Got a call into RSM and my lfs guy, hopefully, he'll come back over to help me.

No other progress as yet, if I can get the tank clear, will start to slowly test params. Salinity is perfect. I got all live caribsea sand

• Like 2

Still having trouble with the tank clearing it's still not completely crystal after 8 hrs. Got an email into the RSM people, hoping to hear from them. How naive of me to think I'd just plug this baby in and voila.....Its' making quite a bit of water noise too.

Going down to the lfs to stand in front of his for a while and see if his does that and also pick his brain. I wish there was more information out on the net about this tank system...its just too new I guess.