Innovative Marine Aquariums

PSA: Philips Coralcare

gus6464

See, when you post BS like this it makes it hard to take you seriously as being an unbiased arbiter of facts.

You do know that other aquarists have done exactly that - grown SPS corals in a 60g cube (or other approximately-sized aquarium) with a single Radion? There are many different species of SPS corals, with many different morphologies, and the aquascaping of the aquarium is an important consideration. Light is also only one of several factors important to stony coral growth, so anecdotal experience is just that - anecdotal. Again, as I have already mentioned, height of the fixture plays a huge role with spread too!

You keep claiming how terrible the Radion is, because it has a plastic shell, uses a number of Cree diodes, and is near the higher end of typical lighting costs - you fail to mention how well it can grow corals when properly situated and programmed. Bashing a known-quantity like this without other "facts" makes it seem like you have an agenda, which Mark has noted is a concern.

Hell, take a look over on RC in the lighting subforum (since you have a thread there about this light too) and take a look at the thread "My last questions on lights for my tank" - o2manyfish's 400g reef lit by 8 Radions is noted for "evidence" of their ability to grow corals of all types. Dave also notes what happens many times in these lighting threads - Several people on this thread are posting lots of negative things. But let's see their tanks. Everyone has an opinion in this hobby, and on these boards alot of those opinions are just regurgitated from some other post.

Dave B

Also, I have to wonder how much experience you actually have had with the Radion - I have one running over my 50g cube (no SPS, just a bunch of gorgonians and rock nems), and it maxes out at 60% at its peak - the highest casing temp it gets is 80 degrees F. when under the "natural deep reef" setting. I have had it running under this setting for several months with issue - no fan noise, no overheating (check my lighting equipment regularly with one of several thermal "guns"), no nothing.

And before you accuse me of being a "fanboy" of Ecotech - my favorite lights are my Maxspect Razors over my pair of 40B's... :happy:

He has 8 radions over an 8 ft tank. That's 1 unit per linear foot. Not one single person in the actual SPS forum on rc will tell you that a single xr30 is enough on a 2ft cube.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has 8 radions over an 8 ft tank. That's 1 unit per linear foot. Not one single person in the actual SPS forum on rc will tell you that a single xr30 is enough on a 2ft cube.

But he has them lower (12") to compensate for the depth of the aquarium, which at 400g is 8X's as large as the near-cube 50g (24"x24"x20") I have (and has 8X's the light... :) ) - are you telling me that no one can grow SPS corals (of any type) over a single Radion, no matter the height of the fixture, or the layout of the aquarium? Come on man...

You should put more stock into what "slief" notes on that thread - dispelling the myths and rumors while spelling out the facts!

Fact is that Radions are a fine light (as are several others), and while this new light from Philips might also be a fine light, it is not really a "game-changer" by any stretch. It will appeal to those with large aquariums and large wallets, and will probably grow corals very well for those that know what else corals need to thrive. Maybe they will put some work into that form factor, and also come up with a smaller one for those of us with smaller aquariums.

But he has them lower (12") to compensate for the depth of the aquarium, which at 400g is 8X's as large as the near-cube 50g (24"x24"x20") I have (and has 8X's the light... :) ) - are you telling me that no one can grow SPS corals (of any type) over a single Radion, no matter the height of the fixture, or the layout of the aquarium? Come on man...

You should put more stock into what "slief" notes on that thread - dispelling the myths and rumors while spelling out the facts!

Fact is that Radions are a fine light (as are several others), and while this new light from Philips might also be a fine light, it is not really a "game-changer" by any stretch. It will appeal to those with large aquariums and large wallets, and will probably grow corals very well for those that know what else corals need to thrive. Maybe they will put some work into that form factor, and also come up with a smaller one for those of us with smaller aquariums.

Funny how with radions I have to worry about coral placement. With a sunpower that doesnt matter in the slightest. You hang and go.

Slief has no idea what the Coralcare costs yet he says you need deep pockets. Fun fact the light costs less than an xr30 g4 pro. You want to see my receipt?

Funny how with radions I have to worry about coral placement. With a sunpower that doesnt matter in the slightest. You hang and go.

Slief has no idea what the Coralcare costs yet he says you need deep pockets. Fun fact the light costs less than an xr30 g4 pro. You want to see my receipt?

I think any knowledgeable aquarist would take coral placement under consideration no matter what lighting is used. Are you stating that you can place any coral anywhere under this new fixture or under the ATI Powermodule it has been compared to, no matter the other variables involved - tank depth being a big one? If so, I think it would be fair to question your judgement. Take a look at the PAR maps you reference - depth matters.

As for the cost - sure, post up the receipt, prove "us" wrong - even though the fixture is not sold here in the U.S. yet, but you put in a personal request, and voila! Seriously, no offense, but I am going to trust him a bit more - I believe he sells (or at least prefers) a competitive brand to the EcoTech (GHL Mitra), and yet is honest about the Radion - I mean all you do is bash the Radion, yet don't even have this fixture yet!

Interesting review, and well done for not having time to test it on corals.

The shimmer tests were awesome, and perhaps why a lot of LED fixtures with lenses fail.

I would not have rated it as high. Certainly some great ideas, but what a big ugly over priced and under-efficient piece of ... light.

ote name="markalot" post="5424725" timestamp="1478900684"]

I really don't care how much some LED I never heard of costs. Did they even price the unit? Not sure what I meant by overpriced. It needs to out perform T5 or T5 hybrid else there's nothing here of value to the regular reefer. The next big step is T5 performance without any T5's. That's the holy grail. Is it spectrum, is it shimmer, is it PAR variance, is it coverage, is it something else? Long term tests with published results is the only thing that will tell us.

^ I'm talking acropora here, nothing else.

Go #### yourself Gus. I'm so tired of some of the punks on here. Yes I watched the video, do you have a point or are you claiming that if all the numbers match up it will be awesome? It uses the same power and produces nearly the same PAR as that 24" ATI unit. I know the 24" ATI unit will grow and color acropora, will this light?

If so the only savings is bulb price.

Ok then. :rolleyes:

Stop being an ass Gus. You have called people who like Echotech names, and defended the light as if you have a personal stake in it. I gave an opinion, you questioned if I watched the video.

And if you didn't ready my post, I said it was ugly and I wanted to see how it performs. You're building an SPS tank with it ... the quickest way to shut my ass up is to grow acros that look awesome under this light with no T5 supplementation. I do wish you luck, some day some LED light is going to do it and it won't matter how 'ugly' it is. Right now, IMO, the Nanobox units come the closest with NanoBox hybrids producing some of the best lighting in the industry. That's my opinion.

As you know there's a hell of a lot more to SPS than the lighting.

Wow...

I have no horse in this race since I DIY but some people seem mighty perturbed at the potential for this product. Perturbed insulting and irrational. We even descended into argumentum ad acropora.

Well this went south pretty quick :rolleyes:

I suppose I was thinking about mounting arms when I was talking about the weight.

I really don't care how much some LED I never heard of costs. Did they even price the unit? Not sure what I meant by overpriced. It needs to out perform T5 or T5 hybrid else there's nothing here of value to the regular reefer. The next big step is T5 performance without any T5's. That's the holy grail. Is it spectrum, is it shimmer, is it PAR variance, is it coverage, is it something else? Long term tests with published results is the only thing that will tell us.

^ I'm talking acropora here, nothing else.

Well from the tests BRS did, which seem to be fairly comprehensive as far as in vitro tests go, the thing is basically an 8 bulb T5 light. Efficiency is basically the same with the diffuser on. Spectrum is/can be basically the same. PAR is basically the same. Its literally exactly what you just said the holy grail is, T5 performance without the T5s. So I'm not real sure why you seem so unimpressed. It also comes in as silent.

Now granted, I'm hardly an expert here, but seems to me that this should perform pretty identically to an 8 bulb T5 fixture at a given spectrum/par.

I'm also not sure why you're calling it inefficient. Its about the same as the T5s. Now granted, its not 30% more efficient like they claim, but its still occupying a good spot here. Not like the cost of a few more KWh each month is going to matter against the rest of the tank's cost. Especially vs the cost of bulbs over the course of the unit's life. Not real sure why you're calling it overpriced either. The cost isn't that much more than a Sunpower + a few sets of bulbs. Seems like it'll be in the same ball park as other high end lights like the Radions.

I will concede that its design is a bit on the ugly especially over a real slick rimless set up.

Gus, interested to see how this works out for you once you have it up and running. Would love to have this running over my next upgrade if and when it makes it over to our side of the pond.

Well this went south pretty quick :rolleyes:

I suppose I was thinking about mounting arms when I was talking about the weight.

Well from the tests BRS did, which seem to be fairly comprehensive as far as in vitro tests go, the thing is basically an 8 bulb T5 light. Efficiency is basically the same with the diffuser on. Spectrum is/can be basically the same. PAR is basically the same. Its literally exactly what you just said the holy grail is, T5 performance without the T5s. So I'm not real sure why you seem so unimpressed. It also comes in as silent.

... snip ...

I will concede that its design is a bit on the ugly especially over a real slick rimless set up.

I'm not so sure why people think I am so unimpressed. I think they've done a lot of great things here, but the rating should be lower until we see how it performs over a tank, then it can be bumped higher. It's not the holy grail unless it performs, which only testing will do. People get so worked up over this stuff but for some of us only performance will matter.

I thought the way BRS tested it unique and very informative. I had not thought of shimmer PAR when considering the disco effect. Can you imagine if that's been it all the time with corals like Acros that for some reason don't do as well under all LED? Boom, fixed, done. BRS also showed the spectral curve is a little off, which may or may not be an issue. We just don't know because we don't know why, for some corals, LED doesn't work as well.

Gus, unfortunately, does what a lot of people do, they see a negative comment about a light, apply everything everyone has ever said bad about LED, and starts ranting. Usually at some point someone will claim I said you can't grow corals under LED.

This video should probably be viewed as well. It's a diffusion kit over the Kessils which they gave a mediocre review due to the fact it did not solve the shading issue. The Phillips did solve the shading but probably due to it's size.

I think we know that right now an LED T5 combo seems to work pretty well, but the reason why T5 is needed is, IMO, unknown. Perhaps it's the spectrum, but perhaps its the shimmer and spectral variance that stresses some corals. Again, beating a dead horse here, but this is why the lights need to be tested over corals for months to see how they do. If shimmer and variance is the main reason for some corals to get stressed under LED then the Phillips might work, and work well.

If spectrum is the reason T5 is needed, which we don't know, then what part of the spectrum is needed?

JMzChMz.png

Is it the little hump way down at 400? I can't speak for above blue because this is just a comparison to the blue+ bulb. My thoughts are that LED puts too much 'white' into the tank which requires more food for the corals to stay healthy, but there's no proof that is a real problem. Perhaps feeding helps the coral combat whatever is stressing it, but yet we don't really know what the stressor is.

I have two BML LED strips which have a 'UV' channel containing 405nm and 420nm diodes of unknown quality. I have been experimenting increasing the output of just this channel along with the UV channel on the Nanobox and the results have been positive.

So if you've read this far you should know there is NO accurate conclusion yet, which is why LED fixture long term testing is a MUST. It's fine to give a light a decent review but for my money it's crap unless it can be proven otherwise with actual use. This sets people hair on fire. :)

If any light can produce the same spectrum, same spread, same everything as a competing light of a different technology then results should be identical, I think we can all agree on that. The Phillips seems to be trying to get there and might come closer than any other LED fixture on the market. Unfortunately to get there it appears the only efficiency gain is removing the requirement for bulb replacement.

Well the light looks pretty awesome, I would be curious on price though. Some of the cons they pointed out were interesting but, except for the interface, seemed easily overcome.

Thanks for posting it Gus, please let us know how the unit works for you.

Well the light looks pretty awesome, I would be curious on price though. Some of the cons they pointed out were interesting but, except for the interface, seemed easily overcome.

Thanks for posting it Gus, please let us know how the unit works for you.

It supports the apex, cerebra, profilux, etc right out of the box. If you have a 0-10v capable controller you can connect the light to it.

And to reiterate one more time the unit is 749 euro including vat of 19%. The US price will be 749 or less. You need the controller which controls up to 4 units and that's 70. I did not pay vat obviously so the unit with controller shipped to my door was 800. Shipping was not cheap as well as it's shipping 3 day air.

An 8 bulb sunpower dimmable with 8 bulbs is 628. After the first year the T5 ends up costing more. The shell is ugly because they used the existing gentlespace gen2 to cut costs and because they wanted something that protects the units from the elements since it is going above a tank full of saltwater after all.

Many people run canopies. Even with an ap700 which is a sleek slim unit I was going to put a canopy because light spill can be annoying.

Hmm. In the video they said only the 220V version was available. So if they were using a transformer to convert 120vAC 60hz electricity to 220vAC 50hz there would be done efficacy losses.

Hmm. In the video they said only the 220V version was available. So if they were using a transformer to convert 120vAC 60hz electricity to 220vAC 50hz there would be done efficacy losses.

That was the first thing I asked them in the video after seeing the power draw. They replied saying that they are using a step up transformer so those wattage figures are not accurate. It's pointless to even point that out with this group though as they've already made up their minds.

I am plugging mine in to a 220v wall connection I ran to my office.

And because we do not know the transformer used we do not know if it was close to full load with the Phillips coral care to get a rough estimate of how much power was lost simply at the transformer.

That was the first thing I asked them in the video after seeing the power draw. They replied saying that they are using a step up transformer so those wattage figures are not accurate. It's pointless to even point that out with this group though as they've already made up their minds.

I am plugging mine in to a 220v wall connection I ran to my office.

LOL,

we haven't made up our minds. Not one person here has made up their mind. What are you reading anyway?

LOL,

we haven't made up our minds. Not one person here has made up their mind. What are you reading anyway?

Well, he has made up his mind that it is now the best LED available, period, even though he has not used it yet, seen how coral colors look under it, compared relative growth rates, etc...

...oh, and Radions suck so hard, that he is super-sure of... ;)

Full disclosure (again?) - I want to like its concept (I did note perceived pros and cons earlier), but am having a hard time getting around that "ugly" form factor TBH. We will have to wait a bit to see how it stacks up, simple as that... fingerscrossed

Marc.The.Shark

I think they're just trying to get it out there for some real world testing/feedback, hence the reused fixture. If it's positive & people like it, I'm sure you'll see sleeker design and different size options in the future. They know the average joe is not gonna put that industrial fixture over a nice tank.

Since we're on the topic (or at least were) does anyone have a link to a solid method for creating an acrylic diffuser?

You can still come & get the stick on stuff I have for you. The place I bought it from went out of business, so I'll be keeping the rest that I have for the future. But still have that nice chunk you wanted already cut. You won't be disappointed! Lol

Well, he has made up his mind that it is now the best LED available, period, even though he has not used it yet, seen how coral colors look under it, compared relative growth rates, etc...

...oh, and Radions suck so hard, that he is super-sure of... ;)

Full disclosure (again?) - I want to like its concept (I did note perceived pros and cons earlier), but am having a hard time getting around that "ugly" form factor TBH. We will have to wait a bit to see how it stacks up, simple as that... fingerscrossed

You realize the shell of the unit Philips mass produces by the thousands. It is the gentlespace gen2. They are not going to change something they already have for some whiner reefers that encompass like 0.1% of the market. You don't want a completely silent and waterproof led? That's fine go buy your plastic crap with fans, no one is stopping you.

It really sucks when someone comes out with something that is built to last, who would want that. The unit has 104 LEDs. That's twice the amount in a radion. If they had to design a shell from scratch for only this tiny market the unit would cost more and then you would be bitching that it's sooo expensive like the Lani and Lupyled. Most MH lights are massive and ugly but no one ever complained. The sunpower isn't even that pretty as well. ATI made a pretty T5 unit called the PM that was built to last but no one in US bought it because it was too expensive and they canned it.

Strange how Dave can make a light that has 0 plastic in it for the same price as a Radion and in the US.

LOL,

Why are you even here at this point? Shouldn't you be busy patting yourself on the back with your acropora?

Since we're on the topic (or at least were) does anyone have a link to a solid method for creating an acrylic diffuser?

Why not just go to a glass shop and have a piece of frosted glass cut? You can get them in all amounts of frost.

Why are you even here at this point? Shouldn't you be busy patting yourself on the back with your acropora?

Let's get this done Gus. I made a comment on the light, not about you, about the light. You returned a rude comment asking if I even watched the video. I told you to go #### yourself and your butt got all hurt because someone dared to be rude back to you.

Do you even reef?

markalot, on 13 Nov 2016 - 1:23 PM, said:

Let's get this done Gus. I made a comment on the light, not about you, about the light. You returned a rude comment asking if I even watched the video. I told you to go #### yourself and your butt got all hurt because someone dared to be rude back to you.

Do you even reef?

Anytime you use #### and butt in the same sentence I'd be hurt too...... :unsure:

Do you even reef?

Rude? I simply stated an observation based on your comment which others have also pointed out. Ryan said the spread and PAR map is basically identical to an 8 bulb sunpower. Did I ever tell you to go #### off? God forbid for me to be excited about a light that on real world measurements goes toe to toe with a T5 light that pretty much everyone considers to be one of the best things you can put over corals. I go by data and not anecdotal evidence.

Energy savings with LED is a myth if you want to copy T5. What you save money on is bulbs and not have to worry about spectrum and output fluctuations when bulbs start to get old. Countless evidence in the past couple of years has shown that putting leds on a puck and calling it a day does not mimic MH and T5. Hotspots do not exist with a T5 light. No LED until now has really addressed that problem. Optics create wild fluctuations in PAR and spectrum when water movement is taken into account. T5 does not have this issue. Why do you think Dave refuses to put optics on his lights? He could very easily add some and his PAR numbers would go way up and then he can brag like ecotech does about radion PAR numbers.

I dislike radions because they are incredibly expensive for what they are. Since when does popularity = best? Can radions grow coral? Sure and pretty much everything out there can grow coral. Can it grow coral like a Sunpower does? Sure if you want to put a massive amount of them over the tank. Sahin from RC got Radions to grow coral like his T5 and MH but he had to put 3 units, I repeat 3 over a 50g tank.

So this dude got SPS to grow like crazy on his 8ft tank with 8 radions, 1 per linear foot. He could have put 2x 48" Sunpowers over the thing and have the same outcome and spend thousands less. With coralcares he would've needed 4 units. The point is there are better options out there than Radions. You want sleek, go buy a Nanobox Wide Quad. More pucks and considerably more even coverage than a Radion.

You realize the shell of the unit Philips mass produces by the thousands. It is the gentlespace gen2. They are not going to change something they already have for some whiner reefers that encompass like 0.1% of the market. You don't want a completely silent and waterproof led? That's fine go buy your plastic crap with fans, no one is stopping you.

- Yes, and in fact I even mentioned it earlier, and I think it is fair to question if you are even reading anything before you go on posting. Also, since when is wanting something that does not look like a parking lot fixture bad? You accuse others of "fanboyism", yet you are exhibiting all of the classic features, and you don't even have the friggin' light yet!

It really sucks when someone comes out with something that is built to last, who would want that. The unit has 104 LEDs. That's twice the amount in a radion. If they had to design a shell from scratch for only this tiny market the unit would cost more and then you would be bitching that it's sooo expensive like the Lani and Lupyled. Most MH lights are massive and ugly but no one ever complained. The sunpower isn't even that pretty as well. ATI made a pretty T5 unit called the PM that was built to last but no one in US bought it because it was too expensive and they canned it.

No one has attacked Philips here for making this light, but claiming it the greatest LED aquarium light ever without it being used and "put through its paces" opens the subject up to fair criticism. Every light has pros and cons, but you seem to have a problem with that - this one is flawless in your eyes (see me previous point about "fanboyism"), and I have to admit, your unbridled hate for the Radion is amusing.

Strange how Dave can make a light that has 0 plastic in it for the same price as a Radion and in the US.

Again, see my previous post about every light having its pros and cons...

Again, see my previous post about "fanboyism"...

Why not just go to a glass shop and have a piece of frosted glass cut? You can get them in all amounts of frost.

Again, see my earlier post about this not being a new idea, although one that may deserve additional discussion...

You might best be served to not respond so harshly to any critical concerns (or even "silly" concerns) of others - they do not serve you well in bolstering your "argument". Your somewhat plaintive, obstinate, dogged defense of a light that you have not even used seems like you are attempting to defend your purchase - just use the thing and let us know how well it does! Hell, I don't even care of you can grow SPS corals - just post up any results if you want anyone here to take it seriously...

...and this is Nano-Reef, so aesthetics and size are important to us too...

Rude? I simply stated an observation based on your comment which others have also pointed out. Ryan said the spread and PAR map is basically identical to an 8 bulb sunpower. Did I ever tell you to go #### off? God forbid for me to be excited about a light that on real world measurements goes toe to toe with a T5 light that pretty much everyone considers to be one of the best things you can put over corals. I go by data and not anecdotal evidence.

But you don't have any data beyond what BRS has posted up, and you fail to note (and did so on RC too) that even BRS's testing noted a couple of potential weak spots. Spread and PAR are not everything!

Energy savings with LED is a myth if you want to copy T5. What you save money on is bulbs and not have to worry about spectrum and output fluctuations when bulbs start to get old. Countless evidence in the past couple of years has shown that putting leds on a puck and calling it a day does not mimic MH and T5. Hotspots do not exist with a T5 light. No LED until now has really addressed that problem. Optics create wild fluctuations in PAR and spectrum when water movement is taken into account. T5 does not have this issue. Why do you think Dave refuses to put optics on his lights? He could very easily add some and his PAR numbers would go way up and then he can brag like ecotech does about radion PAR numbers.

You fail to note that other companies have indeed tried the "diode spread option" and ditched optics, and you also failed to note that fixture height can ameliorate certain issues...

I dislike radions because they are incredibly expensive for what they are. Since when does popularity = best? Can radions grow coral? Sure and pretty much everything out there can grow coral. Can it grow coral like a Sunpower does? Sure if you want to put a massive amount of them over the tank. Sahin from RC got Radions to grow coral like his T5 and MH but he had to put 3 units, I repeat 3 over a 50g tank.

You stated earlier that you dislike anecdotal evidence, but then come back to use it to bolster your point...

So this dude got SPS to grow like crazy on his 8ft tank with 8 radions, 1 per linear foot. He could have put 2x 48" Sunpowers over the thing and have the same outcome and spend thousands less. With coralcares he would've needed 4 units. The point is there are better options out there than Radions. You want sleek, go buy a Nanobox Wide Quad. More pucks and considerably more even coverage than a Radion.

There are better options than just about anything aquarists use, but it depends on what the aquarist wants for each particular system. You (and we) have no idea how well this thing grows various corals, or what they look like (i.e. color rendition), so all we do know is that it has certain diodes housed in a fixture of a certain "appearance" without active cooling and uses a frosted diffuser.

How come you didn't criticize "slief" and Dave B. over on the RC thread when that aquarium was noted in the thread I mentioned earlier - because you would have looked a bit silly in providing zero evidence to your claims. Kind of the same sort of silly as when you criticize Mark and his "acropora abilities"...

You brought up the Radions - no one here stated they were superior, although that is because they are yet to be used against this new fixture. There is also no way of knowing what Philips is going to charge for this when it comes to the States, unless you have been told directly...

Hey, were is the receipt you promised by the way? <_<

You might best be served to not respond so harshly to any critical concerns (or even "silly" concerns) of others - they do not serve you well in bolstering your "argument". Your somewhat plaintive, obstinate, dogged defense of a light that you have not even used seems like you are attempting to defend your purchase - just use the thing and let us know how well it does! Hell, I don't even care of you can grow SPS corals - just post up any results if you want anyone here to take it seriously...

...and this is Nano-Reef, so aesthetics and size are important to us too...

Defend my purchase? I have used and in my possession quite a bit of different lights. I own a custom Powermodule that Dave did some stuff on that cost more than this thing. I also own an AP700. I also have nanobox units as well. I go by hard facts not anecdotal bullcrap. People complain all the time about radion shadowing and the measurements BRS has done show exactly why that is. Just because you refuse the accept it is not my problem.

I guess next time someone tells me to #### off I should congratulate them instead. I merely stated radions are trash and you got all defensive as well.

In regards to slief I have met him in person and talked to the guy. He has a friend who also has coralcare units in the states. Should I have said the coralcare is the best led ever? Probably not, but it sure as hell is a lot better than everything out there. Lights are not magic, there is always hard data and measurements to why something performs the way it does. BRS even went as far in the video as to explain the way T5 works and where most LED lights differ. While to you it might be bullshit, the data is there.

receipt.PNG

So there is the receipt, are you going to shut the #### up now or just bring up other bullshit?

Also I haven't been saying that the unit will cost less than a Radion XR30 G4 Pro for shits and giggles. It is because the US price will be less.

Archived