Coral Vue Hydros

My SPS experiences

tippmann03

Yeah, lighting really helps. i had similar experiences as tippy with my ten gallon. Blue and purple milli werent growing to fast. Pink cap turned purple, orange cap turned deep red, purple digi turned brown, green slimer grew about one polyp a month...with a 70wattMH. Sorry, even at 7watts/gallon halide, it just proves that watts/gallon is a myth, and 70watts just isnt enough to grow some species no matter how small the tank. Since I have put a 250watt over my 10g, everything is growing right out of the water! I have to dose daily or else my calcium drops very fast due to coral/clam demand.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you really want to make your sps happy, get them up higher to your lighting and try to get more flow on them...stonies are light and flow freaks..I kept a few frags in my nano 12ga with 110w of pc/t-5 lighting and they lived, but not thrived. Now they are in my 50t with a Hamilton reefstar 250w halide w/14k DE hqi bulb, 1 55w 03 actinic pc, and a 30" helios t-5 actinic...I have a rio 2500 return pump and rio 400 with the duck bill spinner and my stonies are super happy!!! I get huge growth out of almost all of them (I have one piece of an orange monti cap that is a slow grower, and another mystery sps that doesn't move fast...but all of my others have tripled in size over the last 3-4 months...I use the ESV B-Ionic 2 part alk/calc buffers daily, and ESV kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) in a 1 gallon drip (1.5 tsp/gal ro/di) about every other day...I have added 5 new layers on my crocea clam, and the vast majority of my acro and sps have grown tons!!!

i'll try to update the situation sometime this week, but i'm in highschool and have midterms to study for this week, so i dont have much time

Archived